Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 10:41 AM

110 posts, read 316,359 times

Advertisements

Drove by Walpole and Norwood the other day to check them out and stopped by the Tall Brothers development. Did not like either the town or the houses. I came via Norwood, checked out their grocery stores - they were old, run down and unexciting. The Tall Brothers houses were big, and that's all they were. Concrete steps and exposed foundation looked pretty cheap. The neighborhood is not too bad, despite the cookie cutting house plans, i counted 5 different plans and 200 homes.
On the way back i drove through Canton city center and a few neighborhoods there, i liked it much, much more. A new shopping center (Village Shoppers (http://www.shoppingcenterbusiness.com/articles/JUL07/story4.shtml - broken link)) there with Shaw's looked amazing!!! Their train station looked just as beautiful. Two thumbs up for Canton )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 01:16 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,416,256 times
Cool Red Line

the good thing about the outbound redline train toward Braintree/Quincy/South Station from MIT is that you can take either the Braintree or Ashmont trains whichever one comes first to South Station...keep that in mind as it will save you time.

From South Station you'll take the Alewife train to Kendall.

Once in awhile they bus people due to track work and such but they try to keep it to later in the day or on the weekends...to limit inconvenience.

Overall the Red Line is pretty good.

and commuter rail right from Walpole

Old 05-12-2010, 03:51 PM

10,022 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbelman View Post
Drove by Walpole and Norwood the other day to check them out and stopped by the Tall Brothers development. Did not like either the town or the houses. I came via Norwood, checked out their grocery stores - they were old, run down and unexciting. The Tall Brothers houses were big, and that's all they were. Concrete steps and exposed foundation looked pretty cheap. The neighborhood is not too bad, despite the cookie cutting house plans, i counted 5 different plans and 200 homes.
On the way back i drove through Canton city center and a few neighborhoods there, i liked it much, much more. A new shopping center (Village Shoppers (http://www.shoppingcenterbusiness.com/articles/JUL07/story4.shtml - broken link)) there with Shaw's looked amazing!!! Their train station looked just as beautiful. Two thumbs up for Canton )
The OP asked about Walpole, NOT Canton. The grocery stores you saw were most likely on Rte. 1A, running through the center of both towns. There are large, modern grocery stores on Rte 1, in addition to other shopping options.

I agree with you about Toll Bros.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:41 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,416,256 times
Cool Commuter rail

Not if you took commuter rail into South Station to the Red line from Walpole. You can live anywhere in the Boston area. and commute in if you're close to the commuter rail

Old 05-13-2010, 12:47 PM

18 posts, read 140,886 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks for all of your updates on Walpole!

I'll be commuting to the Kendall/MIT red line stop with an extra 10 minutes walking time from there.

I'm thinking now that as much as we like Walpole's community, I'll need a shorter commute, at the end of the day especially.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:00 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
How about Quincy? A short ride on the red line across to Boston/Cambridge, plenty of neighborhoods, a nice marina area, a good family area, although not as suburban as further out.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:02 AM

18 posts, read 140,886 times
Default Possibly Quincy

Thanks for suggesting Quincy. I'm starting to look into living there now. I'll check the threads for schools & neighborhoods.

Thanks again!

Old 05-25-2010, 10:18 AM

2 posts, read 13,974 times
Braintree is another option.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 686 times
Default To Rsoto

Hello RSato,
I'm relocating from California to Somewhere around Boston MA because of my husband job.
Do you still live in MA?
I'm a Japanese my husband is American. We have a 4years old daughter.
I borned and raised in Japan. Moved to Californn in 2000.
My husband job is little north from Canton MA.
I'm looking for place to live. I mean resetting my life in Massachusetts basically it will be whole new start for me.
I have read you were looking for houses in Weymouth before. How it went?
I don't know what to ask, what should I need to know.
If you Please advice.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:39 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgogee View Post
Hello RSato,
I'm relocating from California to Somewhere around Boston MA because of my husband job.
Do you still live in MA?
I'm a Japanese my husband is American. We have a 4years old daughter.
I borned and raised in Japan. Moved to Californn in 2000.
My husband job is little north from Canton MA.
I'm looking for place to live. I mean resetting my life in Massachusetts basically it will be whole new start for me.
I have read you were looking for houses in Weymouth before. How it went?
I don't know what to ask, what should I need to know.
If you Please advice.
This thread is nearly 6 years old. So, I don't know if you'll get a response. If you can give us more information about your situation though there are plenty of active participants in the forum that can give you advice.

Where exactly will you/your spouse be working? Short distances in Boston can make a big difference in commute. Are you looking to buy or rent? What is your budget? How many people will be living with you? Do you need schools? What type of housing are you looking for (i.e. apartment, condo, townhome, single family home, something else, etc.)? Do you eat out a lot? What do you like to do for fun? The more info you can give us, the better our answers will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts