U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-05-2010, 04:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,698 times
Default Seekonk or Rehoboth?

I'm from Somerset/Fall River area and looking to move to a more family friendly place. My husband and I both work in Somerset although after I finish school I will probably work in the Providence area, so I need to be somewhat close to both areas.

How are these 2 towns? We are looking for family friendly, good schools, safety.

Roughly, what does the housing market look like for a 3 bedroom house? Any activities you can recommend for these areas?

Any other info you can give me on these two would be so appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 07:38 AM

207 posts, read 309,712 times
greatschools.org is a valuable website to find information about schools in those areas.

Are you trying to stay in MA or are you open to RI? We used to live in Bristol, RI when my husband worked in Fall River. It's an easy commute to Somerset--my husband used to play softball there and I often ran to there from Bristol when training for a 1/2 marathon.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:53 AM

361 posts, read 807,099 times
My boyfriend teaches in Rehoboth, and likes the area.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:18 AM

5,296 posts, read 8,880,524 times
I grew up next door to Fall River (Assonet), so I know where you're coming from.

Seekonk and Rehoboth are pretty different from each other. Both are safe, family oriented communities, but Seekonk is much more suburban than Rehoboth. I don't think the schools in either community are ultra stellar, but they're not bad. Certainly better than Fall River's. The high schools are Seekonk High and Dighton-Rehoboth. DR is a bit of a drive from certain parts of town, but it's a nice school. Seekonk is nice too.

Like I said, Seekonk is more suburban. While it does have some newer homes, many are similar to what you see in Somerset (1950s-1970s style ranches and cookie cutter neighborhoods), not strikingly attractive. You are closer to box stores and suburban retail along route 6 and of course, you have Providence Place Mall just minutes away from Seekonk. Everything's a little further from Rehoboth, but not outrageous.

Rehoboth always surprises me. The first impression I usually get is from all of the run-down or abandoned retail along Route 44. However, when you actually get off that road and into town, there are some real attractive areas. Personally, if it were between the two communities you've listed, I'd go with Rehoboth. I have a good friend who recently made the move from Fall River to Rehoboth.

I agree with the above poster who suggested Bristol, RI. I'd also ad Warren RI to the list. Both communities are very pretty. Again, schools aren't wonderful, but they're not bad. Your children won't be at a big disadvantage by attending them. I would choose Bristol or Warren over Seekonk or Rehoboth any day.

My question to you is, how certain are you that you'll be working in Providence? Is this potential move something that could happen soon or are you just thinking about your potential options. The reason I ask is because Providence isn't an easy place to get a job right now. I'd make sure you've got one locked up before you invest in a move.

I'd use a MLS search to get an idea on the housing market in either community. I'd guess that Seekonk is similarly priced to Somerset, Swansea while Rehoboth my be just a little more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts