Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2010, 07:32 AM

53 posts, read 177,812 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of talking to nannies - moving over from the wonderful world of daycare to having a personal nanny for my 2 kids both under 5.

As mentioned in another thread, I am looking at a new job with a pretty long commute, so am looking for a full-time live-out nanny.

Anyone have any feedback/suggestions to share on what to expect, how much to pay, how many hours to ask for, vacation, sick time etc. - the whole bit! Also, once he or she starts, what should I look out for?

Also, what happens for taxes? Do we have to keep track of how much we pay, and then send MA the payroll taxes? Or is the whole thing "cash only", and it is expected that we don't pay anything extra? Could you share any "freind's experiences"?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 12:36 PM

93 posts, read 404,770 times
Default Nannies

Hi,
We don't have a nanny ourselves, but people who have nannies, as well as nannies I've met at the playground, have said:
1. craigslist, care.com, and sittercity.com are where most people find their nannies. Reportedly there are many people responding to nanny-for-hire jobs now, due to the economy.

2. most nannies want to be paid cash or checks off-the-books with no taxes involved (technically illegal for both parties involved but it seems to be the most common arrangement). I think the going rate for 2 kids is about $15-16/hr plus tips, e.g., if you get home a half hour late, you'd pay the nanny for a full hour.

3. I think most want 40 hours/week or more, and want a time commitment of some sort, e.g., a year or longer. Whether there's an actual contract, I have no idea.

4. Nannies are paid their full rate when you are on vacation. They do receive some paid vacation time every year, I'm guessing around 2 weeks worth, but am not sure.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG001 View Post
I am in the process of talking to nannies - moving over from the wonderful world of daycare to having a personal nanny for my 2 kids both under 5.

As mentioned in another thread, I am looking at a new job with a pretty long commute, so am looking for a full-time live-out nanny.

Anyone have any feedback/suggestions to share on what to expect, how much to pay, how many hours to ask for, vacation, sick time etc. - the whole bit! Also, once he or she starts, what should I look out for?

Also, what happens for taxes? Do we have to keep track of how much we pay, and then send MA the payroll taxes? Or is the whole thing "cash only", and it is expected that we don't pay anything extra? Could you share any "freind's experiences"?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts