U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 10:41 AM

3,535 posts, read 5,312,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quendiva26 View Post
Are you in Florida now? The heat. Yes. It was a major deciding factor about moving here.

Apparently the accent is not just a location thing? I asked an ex-co-worker when I found out I was moving to Mass why he doesn't have an accent even though he's from inner city Boston. He asked me if I wanted to know the truth. I was like, "Yes, of course I do!" He told me, "Only the white people in Boston have accents." Perhaps it shows my ignorance, but I never even considered that!
Yep still stuck down here until October. The heat is actually getting to me health wise. I just can't do it anymore. 92 degrees at 12:30 with an index of 101. And the heat of the day is 2-1/2 hours away. it will be 96 or so with an index of 105-108 like it was yesterday. Terrible place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 11:07 AM

554 posts, read 426,359 times
Default Heat

Chris, do you work outside, or does the heat get to you inside as well? I'm going to Fla. next week and one of the areas I was going to look in is Estero. I'm from CT so may end up disliking some of the same things about Fla. that you do . . .if I move. I may try renting first.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:49 PM

39 posts, read 1,623 times
Surpise no one has said seafood yet. That a big sterotype of MA people. Also that there into sports but it's no more a sports town than New York, Chicago, or Philly.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:30 PM

4,122 posts, read 3,959,363 times
Ever heard the term "ma$$hole?" That ought to tell you.....

Seriously though, I don't think people from other parts of the country have any great personal stereotypes about people from Massachusetts, other than that they're very liberal. I think people from other New England states might have stronger stereotypes, particularly people in New Hampshire and Vermont, who have people from Massachusetts either moving into their state or buying vacation property there.

My sister used to live in Vermont, and she once sniffed that people from Massachusetts were "as bad as New Yorkers."

Old 06-12-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenpearl View Post
Chris, do you work outside, or does the heat get to you inside as well? I'm going to Fla. next week and one of the areas I was going to look in is Estero. I'm from CT so may end up disliking some of the same things about Fla. that you do . . .if I move. I may try renting first.
Please, please, please rent first.... We on the FL forums as you know always tell everyone looking to live in "paradise"(not) to rent first and see if this is the right place. I used to like it, I stress USED to... It has gotten worse heat wise for me. And on top of the state going down the crapper in many ways, it makes me wish October were here faster. Estero is nice, but you pay the price. LOL, I am a poet and didn't even know it.

Massachusetts and New England has and always has been my home. Florida was never home. It has been a big part of my life, but I am ready to leave for good.

I do work outside and inside when I can. I work in apartment maintenance and I am the only guy here at my property so I have no choice. I do everything around here, so....

Old 06-12-2010, 07:05 PM

871 posts, read 831,143 times
Liberal? We are 'Progressives'. Eventually, the rest of the country will catch up to us. We take the words "Liberty and Justice for All" literally. Especially "All".

Old 06-15-2010, 03:33 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,950,418 times
I work at a place that deals with a ton of Mass clients, and they are extremely nasty and demeaning overall. Just overall miserable, hateful people.

Can't really blame the weather, since the Vermonters/NHites aren't remotely as bad.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I work at a place that deals with a ton of Mass clients, and they are extremely nasty and demeaning overall. Just overall miserable, hateful people.

Can't really blame the weather, since the Vermonters/NHites aren't remotely as bad.
Where are these MA people you speak of, people from Western MA are not like that.... none I know.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:46 PM

945 posts, read 1,206,775 times
i really don't think people from WMass are any differnet than people from Eastern Mass.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
i really don't think people from WMass are any differnet than people from Eastern Mass.
Ohhhh, there is a difference from what I noticed. I lived out there for a while, very high strung, NOT ALL OF THEM. The people are very different, but all MA people are great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts