Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 07:18 AM

24,490 posts, read 17,232,699 times

Advertisements

What just happened in Mass? The attorney general Maura Healey just signed an enforcement notice essentially banning many semi automatic rifles as of July 20th.

Massachusetts Attorney General -- Unilaterally Bans Assault Weapons | National Review

She did this without any public input, vote or study. With a stroke of her pen she has left gun store owners scratching their heads as to what is legal or illegal to sell. She is putting them out of business if they cannot sell what was legal on July19th.
How about the individual gun owner who has one of these firearms. Will he or she soon be hearing a knock on the door or worse the door be busted down and police in riot gear are standing there to confiscate the guns? With her law they cannot sell their expensive gun if they wanted to.

How can one person have such power to destroy an industry? Smith and Western has a gun factory in Springfield MA. will all those folk be losing their jobs since most of what they make is now illegal to sell?

What happened to democracy and putting this to a vote?

If we had a pro gun attorney general could he or she suddenly sign a law making it legal for us all to drive around in tanks?

What is next on Maura Healeys list ? Will she ban sports cars with 8 cylinder engines because they are too fast and burn too much gas?

For those who don't like guns Healeys actions are a good step in a state that already has the toughest gun laws in the nation and guess what they work . To the gun owners this is an over reach and violation of trust. To the criminals it is business as usual because they don't care about laws.

This is shocking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 08:28 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,813,014 times
Last straw for me. I don't even own an AR (yet). Wife and I have talked about leaving MA and almost did a couple years back. While this will likely be overturned in court, I'm planning our exit. I cannot live in a state that persecutes people like me, as this state does.

No idea if or when that knock at the door will happen, but like many smart people did in the first years of Nazi Germany, I'm not going to wait around to find out. Staying in Mass is just not a long-term viable option. I know this forum is loaded with anti-liberty folks that will tell me good riddance. No worries, the feeling is mutual!! You can have your statist "utopia".

Old 07-22-2016, 09:02 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Shouldn't really be a surprise. Put these types of people in power and watch your rights disappear. MA has been anti 2A for a long time, if you're gonna do it might as well go all in. I'm only 15 minutes from the border in NH, I make every effort not to get any closer.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:24 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post
No idea if or when that knock at the door will happen, but like many smart people did in the first years of Nazi Germany, I'm not going to wait around to find out. Staying in Mass is just not a long-term viable option. I know this forum is loaded with anti-liberty folks that will tell me good riddance. No worries, the feeling is mutual!! You can have your statist "utopia".
Why is it every time the government does something someone doesn't like all of a sudden we're in Nazi Germany?

Old 07-22-2016, 09:30 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
BBJ announced a few days ago that Smith & Wesson acquired a large manufacturer of knives. Perhaps knew this was in the works?

Old 07-22-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Why is it every time the government does something someone doesn't like all of a sudden we're in Nazi Germany?
Easy question. It's a relatively recent example of tyranny that people recognize and understand. It was a tragic example of government that went awry, surely, far beyond what anyone would have expected. Lest we forget what happened, it could be repeated.

And please re-read my post. No where did I say "we're in Nazi Germany". Is Mass. government tyrannical? Yes, it is clearly moving in that direction. Healey's move here is nothing short of an edict. No hearings, no due process, no legislature involvement. That's not tyranny?! And to top it off, our Governor plans to stand by and do nothing about it. Unreal.

I've seen enough, and I've had enough.

Last edited by Bruins_Fan; 07-22-2016 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: add

Old 07-22-2016, 10:12 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Easy question. It's a relatively recent example of tyranny that people recognize and understand. It was a tragic example of government that went awry, surely, far beyond what anyone would have expected. Lest we forget what happened, it could be repeated.

And please re-read my post. No where did I say "we're in Nazi Germany". Is Mass. government tyrannical? Yes, it is clearly moving in that direction. Healey's move here is nothing short of an edict. No hearings, no due process, no legislature involvement. That's not tyranny?! And to top it off, our Governor plans to stand by and do nothing about it. Unreal.

I've seen enough, and I've had enough.
Go visit the Holocaust Museum in Washington DC. Hop on a flight to Germany and put your feet on the ground at an actual concentration camp. Better yet spend a few minutes talking to someone with their prisoner number tattooed on their forearm who endured years of torture, starvation, and hard labor. That same person likely had their entire family wiped from the face of the planet.

Perform any one of these tasks and you'll see why Nazi Germany was about so much more than tyranny. The world and history has no shortage of tyrants and dictators. Feel free to find another to use that might be more in line with your message.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Go visit the Holocaust Museum in Washington DC. Hop on a flight to Germany and put your feet on the ground at an actual concentration camp. Better yet spend a few minutes talking to someone with their prisoner number tattooed on their forearm who endured years of torture, starvation, and hard labor. That same person likely had their entire family wiped from the face of the planet.

Perform any one of these tasks and you'll see why Nazi Germany was about so much more than tyranny. The world and history has no shortage of tyrants and dictators. Feel free to find another to use that might be more in line with your message.
Don't lecture me. You don't know me. You don't know where I've traveled, what I've seen, or anything about me beyond a few posts on this forum.

And, of course, in return I won't pretend to know you.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:28 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Don't lecture me. You don't know me. You don't know where I've traveled, what I've seen, or anything about me beyond a few posts on this forum.

And, of course, in return I won't pretend to know you.
I wouldn't concern yourself with MikePRU. He has no input at all on the subject of the thread, but is whining about your analogy. Should tell you all you need to know about him.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:45 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
The great part about states rights is you can find a state which suits your ideological position. Also, tyranny is by definition an overreach of power. While I don't necessarily agree with the ban, she is well within her rights to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts