Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 11:36 PM

7 posts, read 16,180 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to West Maui in 3 weeks and I am on the fence as to whether to bring ship my exotic sports car with me. I spent a month in West Maui in the spring and I don't think I saw one sports car the entire time.

On the mainland I have had zero issues with crime related to driving the car and usually just get people curious about the car, what kind of engine, how fast, etc. Reading through the posts, I get the impression I may be asking for trouble if I show up in a exotic. Thoughts?

The other issue I have is I don't have a garage to put it while I look for a place. So it could end up sitting covered in a parking lot. My first thought was that no one would steal it because it likely is the only one on the island. They couldn't sell the parts and it would be pretty easy to find. Someone mentioned the stolen cars end up in containers and they are shipped off.

The car is a blast to drive (understatement) and I would love to have it with me but also don't know the area well if enough to know if it will bring trouble. I am not flashy or rich, I just really enjoy driving .

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 11:40 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,455,356 times
Is there a dealer to perform service on the island?
Cars ARE stolen frequently on the islands and yes, they end up on containers, shipped away to countries that don't ask questions about what is in the container.

What kind of car is it?

Old 06-29-2010, 11:51 PM

I am a mechanic so I can perform any service necessary on the car. Not concerned about that. I know Maui has a healthy classic car scene. Are classic hot rods and muscle cars more acceptable than a modern supercar?

It amazes me that car theft is such a big problem. It seems like with so many cars stolen, that someone would keep an eye out for outbound cars in containers. Is this not really being addressed?

Old 06-29-2010, 11:59 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,674,140 times
I'd worry about corrosion from the salt air more than anything else.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:03 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,455,356 times
Outbound container traffic isn't scrutinized.
Salt air is a huge concern, especially on such a small island as Maui.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:10 AM

6 posts, read 29,687 times
I guess it would depend on your storage facility, garage, etc. The salt in the air is killer but if you love your baby, then bring it. it can be heartbreaking if it gets stolen, but thats what the insurance is for. on such a small island, all will know whos car it is, so hopefully a little Lo-Jack will help ease your mind.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:25 AM

The salt air is a good point. I really hadn't considered that too much. I guess it is even a big problem on the modern cars too? Do you guys get rust all over your bolts and fittings? Chrome gets deposits all over it?

I am selling my 1966 Impala 2dr Hardtop because I was afraid it would grow rust like crazy. One option I considered was trading for a 427 Cobra Replica that had a fiberglass body. That at least wouldn't have the body rust issues?

Old 06-30-2010, 12:30 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,014,295 times
There are a good many antique and collectable cars and clubs on all the major islands. Most are garaged and brought at events and club meets.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:47 AM

18,325 posts, read 18,903,953 times
why don't you just bring them over later when you get settled?

Old 06-30-2010, 12:50 AM

I think I am more concerned about the cultural question. There are some places on the mainland I just don't take my high-end sports car because I would feel like a target and I feel much more comfortable taking my old 91 Toyota 4x4 Pickup. Whereas in other locations in town, people don't think twice about it and it likely I will usually get a friendly 'Car enthusiast' who want to chat about cars.

I guess my real question is, I haven't been around Maui long enough to get a good sense if I more likely to get jacked or get friendly people? In other words, would it be something you would let your wife take out after dark to run errands and not think twice? =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
View detailed profiles of: