Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 07:03 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,895,202 times

Advertisements

I live in Lahaina. I've been following your posts. On the upside, the community has supported our new private school at Kapalua, Maui Prep, that has grown from elementary only through high school level. So there are enough families with children and enough who are willing to pay to attend our private schools. (There is also a private Catholic school in Lahainatown for grades 1-8.)

[I was surprised to see that City-Data reports 6,757 married couples with children, plus 2,267 single-parent households. Who knew?]

The population is spread over almost all of West Maui, and (as is often mentioned elsewhere here) "Lahaina" is a USPS convenience for all of the 96761 zip code. Many families with small children live in Napili, Kahana, Kaanapali, Wahikuli, Lahainaluna, Lauiniupoko, etc. My guess is that few live right in downtown. Lahainatown does have a traditional gridded layout and is more-or-less walkable, etc., but property is VERY expensive, and houses with a sizable yard (not to mention parking) are scarce. It's also a historic district, and business permitting can be complicated.

I don't mean to say it's not a good prospect, but like the upcountry areas I mentioned in another thread, I'd do a lot of market research before I invested in anything I couldn't afford to pay without the business income.

Definitely better prospects than Hana, though. It's one of my favorite places on Maui, but it seems like a very difficult place to start any business for long-time residents until you've become one.

Best of luck.

Last edited by whynot?; 12-10-2010 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: Clarification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 03:22 PM

1 posts, read 718 times
So did you ever open a vegetarian preshcool? Because I'm looking for one for my 2.5 yr old son. We are moving to Maui this winter. And honestly I would move to whichever area I find a vegetarian preschool in.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:03 PM

280 posts, read 473,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsterg3 View Post
I will need to check out that information about the tsunami water line... I never even thought about it! Here in Portland, we do not really have anything but a "big" earthquake we are waiting for...and waiting...and waiting... I would hate to make my neighbors upset. I would need a lot with yard space and space around my neighbors as well. The last thing I would want to do is irritate the local neighborhood!

There are TONS of things like this you will not be able to think about. The rules are simply different in Maui. Wether its legislative rules, or rules of the land, or rules of the road...they are different.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:32 PM

337 posts, read 612,981 times
The OP hasn't posted anything since last year or so, so I'm not sure if this will ever get answered. His last post was something about moving into the Ozarks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui