Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 11:53 AM

14 posts, read 40,418 times

Advertisements

Totally agree. Lawrence is way different than Hawaii. Way more beautiful in Hawaii and much better weather. Some of the people are very similar though especially my best friend who is from Hawaii and has been part of my influence in moving to Maui. Been out to Maui twice in the past year and once to Kauai. Know not to bring winter things just curious about items that might be more difficult to buy on or ship to Hawaii. Thanks for the bike box idea. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 12:27 PM

820 posts, read 3,034,996 times
Yes, agree that Lawrence seemed to have a similar laid-back vibe as Maui! At least from the younger crowd... that's probably the college town influence.

One of my best friends lives there now, that's who I visited and had to bring my big coat for the snow.

You'll know from your visits to Maui that we've got a Walmart, K-Mart, and Costco. Also Sears, Lowe's, and Home Depot. I know there are bike shops and surf shops. Not sure if there is a skate shop of the quality you might want if you have Arbors. If you don't know for sure, you might check into any parts you would need and bring those too.

Since you aren't into shipping stuff in a container, I'll bypass advice about bringing heavy items that cost a lot to ship here. Sounds like you travel light and don't need much.

If you plan to camp out, know that we don't have a high quality camping equipment store. Just the Coleman tent level.

Advice on that bike box - you might try collecting some packing material like the solid styrofoam that is used when packing things like printers or other objects that need to remain immobile. You can cut those up into blocks to make wedges to keep the bike box from getting crushed. If the foam is too small, tape chunks together to make a block wide/tall enough to be the same as the inside dimension of the bike box.

Wrap up your Arbors in some protective layers, make sure there's an extra layer of cardboard between your boards and the bike box. Then when you insert the boards, also insert blocks of the solid foam. Put some at each corner, and also several in the middle section. Or you can tape the blocks to your wrapped boards so the blocks don't slide around.

Better to take some time packing your boards than to see them cracked on arrival. The airlines are pretty careful, but there are accidents.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:31 PM

14 posts, read 40,418 times
Thanks for you help!

Old 07-14-2011, 08:18 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,102,730 times
Default 15 years in Maui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasta9 View Post
Moving very soon and just looking for advice or suggestions. Think its best to keep it to the minimum. Mahalo

My sister not me....but I visit all the time. take very much minimum. None of your clothes will be appropriate, most of the housing is furnished with everything included, shipping is expensive. If you see posts from hothulamaui.....ask her, she can tell you everything about Maui.

But to get started and you can take a few things. Drugstore items are expensive over there. You won't wear anything but aloha clothes, shorts, t's, flipflops, swimsuits, cover ups and lightweight dresses, but in the aloha styles so you would want to buy them there. Once you are settled and looking for work you can buy things that are appropriate for your work place, but doubtful anything you take from the mailand if it isn't EXTREMELY lightweight...EXTREMELY...then it won't work. EVeryone living on Maui dresses "local".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui