Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 10:41 PM

84 posts, read 151,523 times

Advertisements

Howzit,

Just came back from another awesome trip to the Big Island. Couldn't have been better. Spent some time in beautiful Puna. Stayed at Art and Orchids B&B. Highly recommend! Everytime I go to the Big Island (5 times) I go bonkers for the Maui Style Shrimp Chips by Frito Lay. They are in all the grocery and convenience stores. They are so fresh and not too shrimpy, since they have no shrimp in them.

My problem is that it appears impossible for me to get them anywhere on the mainland. I searched the web and there is nowhere for me to order them from. I even called Frito Lay and they said they are only available in Hawaii.

Anybody have any ideas for me? It has to be that brand and style. Nothing else hits the spot. I'd appreciate any help. Mahalo!

K'den!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 10:59 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,375,976 times
this may be a stretch but possibly sam's club - ? - wouldnt mind trying them myself but it may be a looong time before i get to hawaii - will look for them next time i'm in costco (unfort. sam's club isn't that close and i'm on the east coast which may not bode well either). here's a link i found

Maui Style Shrimp Chips - 7oz - Sam's Club

Old 08-19-2011, 03:20 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,886,891 times
And my neighbor here is always trying to find some mainland nacho flavored chips that only come as one small package in the variety packs! You'd think Frito lay would let folks order a case directly from them of any flavor they make, huh?

Hey! Business idea! Start an online Frito Chip Distribution center and send case lots of any flavor Fritos made to anyone who orders it.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:56 PM

312 posts, read 1,369,613 times
I have had the same expirience with the famous Maui Style Onion Chips that are made by frito lay. They are the most common ones (i don't think a lot of people know they are made in TX by frito lay) but i can't find them anywhere else even though i live in texas now. I just want some Potato Chips!

Old 08-20-2011, 08:36 PM

84 posts, read 151,523 times
I called Sam's and they can't do anything. Then I had a very informative conversation with customer service at Frito Lay. It turns out that people call almost everyday to find out where they can get these shrimp chips. And the answer is and has always been "only in Hawaii." For some reason their marketing department has decided to keep them a regional product.

So, first I called a bellman at the hotel I usually stay at and he said the consierge would probably be able to send me out some. But she was away from her desk, so then I thought of the KTA I always buy them at in Keauhou. They directed me to KTA headquarters. I talked to the chip buyer in the grocery department and explained my problem. I just want them to send me a case and I'll pay the shipping. That was Friday. She said she'd get back to me. I'll call again Monday. But I have a bad feeling that Frito Lay has some sort of contract that doesn't allow them to do it.

It turns out people are also always calling Frito Lay for a particular chip only available in Canada. There is someone on Ebay that's selling that particular chip for about twice the retail price. I thought about going into business and making the Maui Style Shrimp Chips available to all of us unlucky people who got hooked on them and don't live in Hawaii. But my husband said NO. I can only buy some for myself. I guess he doesn't want me to become a dealer.

Hey, I'd pay double if I could just order them online. Any of you all looking for a business opportunity? Just don't tell the cops who tipped you off on the idea.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:21 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,375,976 times
Snyders in Hanover PA makes Krunches kettle cooked potato chips - Sweet Hawaiian Onion flavored - I think they're fairly new - they were good but I"d much prefer the shrimp chips by Frito Lay - am hoping in time they sell them locally but who knows - til then will have to check this thread.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:41 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,587,358 times
Deirdre, we'll be returning to our home on the Big Island in early October. I would be happy to purchase some of your chips for you and ship them to you. Send me a PM in mid-October, and maybe we'll be able to work something out so that you'll have a Merry Christmas!

Old 08-21-2011, 03:58 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,410,489 times
Never seen those on Maui... I love the Maui Onion though.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:00 AM

2 posts, read 4,526 times
Hi Deirdre!

I love your determination! I checked Frito Lay site, Amazon and it looks like having someone volunteer is your best option.

We'll be back on the Big Island enjoying one of our KONA 101 vacation rentals in December and I can help with ordering/shipping, too. And, if you want them sooner one of my local friends could probably accomodate. It looks like you have 'Dreaming of Hawaii' and 'Kona Sun' to help you now.

I've had a similar challenge with the Kona Macadamia Nut pancake mix but fortunately it is still available online though price per container and shipping is more expensive.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:14 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,662,415 times
Any Asian grocery store, at least in California, carries shrimp chips, they're just not labeled Maui.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui