Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2011, 12:46 AM

7 posts, read 18,996 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping to be done with this working crap in five years and would like to ease into retirement on Maui. I love to windsurf, even though I'm not particularly good at it (yet). I've taken lessons on Maui and it seems like the folks that hang out at Kanahana (sp?) park waiting for the wind are good peoples. I'd like to become one of those peeps and want to basically make windsurfing my job (without the paycheck, obviously) - spend at least 5 days a week on the water and mix it up with some sailing, biking and trail running. I've read the stories of the disgruntled here, but it doesn't seem like most of them really have an activity they're stoked on. Paradise is only paradise if you've got something awesome to do every day imo, otherwise it's just nice weather and that gets boring. Anyone think the key to adjusting well to life on the islands may to be to totally immerse yourself in some of the activies there? I dunno. I may end up hating it too, but I'd like to try it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 08:56 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
being an upbeat happy person to start with helps. you need a life anywhere to be happy and a windsurfing life sounds like great happiness. good luck

Old 12-24-2011, 01:05 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,443,557 times
If you can spend all your time on hobbies, why would you not? Heck if I was retired and had disposable income I'd surf, kayak, dive, metal detect....

Most "disgruntled" people on this forum are that way because either they're poor and can't even afford to windsurf or whatever. You'll meet plenty of disgruntled folks at Kanaha Beach Park, sleeping in their tents. Don't be alarmed by their strange appearance, that's just the meth. Stay far away from them and if possible just go to Ho`okipa instead. I think they should just ban camping completely.

Here's a pic from Ho`okipa. This was back in the summer before the big swells. Now it's pretty crazy... the windsurfers seem to be using the waves like ramps to catch air.

Last edited by winkosmosis; 12-24-2011 at 01:30 PM..

Old 12-26-2011, 05:58 PM

7 posts, read 18,996 times
Ho'okipa is gererally regarded as being for the pros or at the least the best of the rest, although that guy in your pic doesn't look like he'd fit in either of those categories, but who knows? Yes, I can definitely see how "paradise" could really suck if you don't have time/money to enjoy any extracurricular activities. It's actually probably even worse to live there, since it kind of gets rubbed in your face all the time by everyone driving around with a surfboard on their car! I'm really glad I didn't discover Maui when I was 20 because I'd probably have moved their and still be broke and working in retail.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:20 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,896,457 times
Maybe a weird insight, but we met our window-washer-guy (who also owns a carpet-cleaning business) AND our retractable-shade guy via their practical specialties, but came to know them about their hobbies. Both are both inveterate windsurfers and/or kite-surfers. OBVIOUSLY they both have "day jobs," but both are responsive, respectable business owners who do [in a Maui sort of way] what must be done [most of the time] first.

[Especially the retractable shade guy, if I must say. But both show up on-schedule, more or less, and do the work. Even when the winds are raging and they wish to be elsewhere.]

Pa'ia (Kanaha/Kuau/Ho'okpa) is indeed the epicenter of this kind of Maui life, and we have had friends from as far away as France who have come (and lived) to experience our world class winds and waves. Very responsibly with young children, etc.

If it's your passion, there is a market for it -- whether on your own terms, or for commercial instruction [possibly?] or professional fame [really, really unlikely?]. There are winds and waves, the rest is up to you.

All the best.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:44 PM

941 posts, read 1,966,996 times
kbbr: "Anyone think the key to adjusting well to life on the islands may to be to totally immerse yourself in some of the activies there?"

Excellent insight, kbbr! I know when I first got here, it was hiking and exploring. Since then, I have a family, so now there is less hiking but other fun things to do together.

In a way, I think this is true anywhere, anytime. I know I was happier on the mainland when I made time to go hiking as well. Having a hobby or something to focus on (and better yet, connect with other people) must be one of those things that lead to a more fulfilling life. But people who move to Hawaii are far from their familiar surroundings and family connetions, so it is a good thing for them to remember. There are so many possibilities, from outdoor activities to local crafts and Hawaiian culture (hula, etc.)--and many aren't specific to Hawaii either (art, singing, etc.).

Old 02-18-2012, 03:34 AM

16 posts, read 26,599 times
new on forum and excellent reading as we are planning our relo to Maui this summer for my work. I am an avid/advanced windsurfer and hoping to make the most of my windsurfing passion on the island. Last I visited Kanaha in late Jan- I didn't notice homeless tents or any freaks- perhaps I was too tunneled visioned into the wind and waves but what I did noticed was lots of nice folks/local sailors for sure. Can't wait.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:39 AM

820 posts, read 3,035,217 times
There are 2 sections to Kanaha, the sport people and the live-there people, and they co-exist nicely. The understanding is such that they don't really interfere one with other, each encampment realizing that tipping the balance means problems for both sides.

At first it surprised me that my windsurfer friend would take so much equipment to Kanaha and leave some of it unattended in his van. But never a problem, because it's just not a good idea to start throwing things out of whack.

Now, it's not a place to go hang around after dark, unless you have specific and probably unlawful reasons to do so. But during the day, for the sports minded, just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui