U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-21-2012, 10:57 PM

2 posts, read 8,345 times
Default Shipping in container question...

Has anybody shipping belongings and a car/s inside the same container to/from Maui?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 01:50 AM

1,730 posts, read 1,384,368 times
From where to where?

Old 06-22-2012, 11:23 AM

11,576 posts, read 9,251,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreymay View Post
Has anybody shipping belongings and a car/s inside the same container to/from Maui?
If you mean to the mainland, there's no point in doing that.* There's a published tariff for the car, which is something like $1,072. at present. And there's whatever the container shipping costs... let's say it is $4,000.

That means you will pay the same $5,072 to ship the container and the car to the mainland, whether the car is inside the container or outside the container. And the three shipping companies that service Hawai'i all do it the same way.

*Unless the car is a collector's item or other car valuable enough to pay the extra money to have it shipped inside a container.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:02 PM

67 posts, read 59,002 times
We just looked into all this from Seattle. We went with Matson. Option 1- ship car separate ($1075) and 20' container ($3182). Option 2- rent container for $3182 and pay additional $1101 to put car inside. Cost more, PLUS we had to figure out 1. how to get the car up into the container (3 feet off ground), 2. How the driver gets out of the car once inside the container, 3. How to pack items around car so they don't shift in transit & damage the car...

I hope this helps. Let me know if I can be of further help.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:51 PM

2 posts, read 8,345 times
Thanks for the replies guys.

Anyone know how much more a 40ft is than a 20ft to the mainland?

Old 06-22-2012, 09:06 PM

67 posts, read 59,002 times
We called earlier today about that because someone may be interested in sharing our container & we wanted to give him that option but it was $1600 more through Matson

Old 05-08-2013, 01:32 AM

4 posts, read 5,058 times
hi I'm searching the same issue. Moving to Maui next month w/furniture + 3 vehicles. When I talked to Matson they said I can put some of the cars in the container, but they don't provide a ramp....how do we get them up and inside? what did u end up doing? I'm so confused, mahalo

Old 05-09-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauigirl2 View Post
hi I'm searching the same issue. Moving to Maui next month w/furniture + 3 vehicles. When I talked to Matson they said I can put some of the cars in the container, but they don't provide a ramp....how do we get them up and inside? what did u end up doing? I'm so confused, mahalo
Why would you put a car inside the container? It won't save you a dime, and it just makes the container very hard to load. And you'll only get one normal car inside a 20' container.

Think of it this way... a typical garage space for a car might be 19' long and 11' wide. The container is 20' long and 8' wide. For most cars that means you have to climb out a window because the doors won't open far enough.

Also, there are two ways to get a container... one way is to have it sent out on a roll-off truck, where it winds up directly on the ground. But you have to have lots of room for the truck to maneuver, plus the 25' or so for the container plus door swing. That's why most people have to get it on a trailer, which raises it up off the ground, but can be swiveled into place.

But to repeat... if the container is $3,000 and the three cars are $1,100 each, then your bill will be $3,000 + $3,300 = $6,300 whether you put the car(s) inside the container or not. If you have a $ Million Ferrari, it might be worth it to you to put it inside a container, but for the family transport beast, no way.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:01 AM

730 posts, read 341,880 times
You can put a car inside the container and you only pay for the container. The published rate for a car on Matson is for the car alone. They used to explain all this on their web site although it has changed somewhat recently. You sould call them up and get the accurate story from them. But even so, the car has to be empty of gas and it is extremely difficult to get the car in/out of the thing, and there is no way to prevent damage to it if the container tips. We looked into all of this when shipping our stuff over from Seattle and ended up shipping our furniture in a PODS box, and our cars with Matson. We got the POD because of two things: (1) it was at ground level so very easy to load/unload, and (2) we needed to store it for 3 months and storage with Matson costs a fortune.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
You can put a car inside the container and you only pay for the container.
Here's just one of many previous posts referring to the "extra charge" added to the container charge to put a car inside. In this case it was a Matson quote, in 2009:

Quote:
I have many things that I will not leave here... or cannot replace there for a decent replacement value. So will take a container - I think it was appox 1000 to tack on a vehicle(s) inside of the shipping container.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/11870148-post18.html
The reason some people choose that option, in spite of its extra cost, is to protect the car from the elements, especially if it is going to Maui or the Big Island, because Matson offloads cars in Honolulu and then barges them to the neighbor islands. That barge trip can cover the car with salt spray for days.

Part of the reason Pasha was able to build a competitive vehicle shipping business against Matson and Horizon is that they offer fully enclosed vehicle shipping in a purpose-built carrier to Oahu, Maui and the Big Island.

Last edited by OpenD; 05-10-2013 at 05:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui