Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 12:06 PM

67 posts, read 126,419 times

Advertisements

I will need some help unloading a container in Kihei next month. Could someone please suggest the best way to find 2 people to help unload it? I'd prefer to hire someone's nephew or cousin, etc that we could trust to know the contents of the container and where it's going. Does that make sense? Mahalo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 01:23 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,554,070 times
Well, strictly between you, me, and the gecko on the ceiling, i've hired the lifeguards to work on various construction projects on maui over the years.. Hundred bucks or so, a few cold ones at the end of the day.. Just DON'T tell anybody........................................... ..............

ssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,,,, malie nui!

Old 06-22-2012, 01:28 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,821,034 times
Winkosmosis is always looking for extra cash.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:52 PM

756 posts, read 712,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Winkosmosis is always looking for extra cash.

Wink should check if Oprah needs any extra help around that Upcountry estate too ... lol

Old 06-22-2012, 04:40 PM

Thanks guys! LOL. I plan on meeting Wink at the next rodeo... And Jungjohann, as always, you crack me up!

Old 06-22-2012, 08:18 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,799,772 times
We hired the services of a moving company to unload our container, and it was by the "job" not by the hour. [No dragging feet to jack up the price.] We chose that because I do not like to be on the hook for someone's disability support if I hire off the street and the person gets injured.

Yes, I'll hire the neighbor kid or nephew for simple yard work or things like that, but not for moving heavy furniture and boxes, etc, that could easily lead to an injury. Same as you'll never find an uninsured {worker's comp] person working on my roof or other dangerous job.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:04 PM

CyberCity- I considered that on the Seattle end and chose not to hire the day laborerers outside of Home Depot for that exact reason. Instead a friend's son & I did it. (No laughing from my friends - yes I'm a girlie girl but I can get stuff done when I need to! LOL)

There's not a lot of furniture - like 5 small pieces then a few boxes. (thanks to grandparents that pass down those wonderful "treasures" LOL) If I can't find someone local to help me, would you mind sharing the name of the company you used? Mahalo!

Old 06-22-2012, 09:36 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,350,584 times
Do a web search for "temporary labor Maui" and take your pick.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:36 PM

Seattle has a lot of scam artists in that section... OpenD- do you believe it's different in Maui? I can ask a couple friends... I just don't like to be a burden. I'd rather pay for some help as long as they're honest, you know? mahalo!

Old 06-22-2012, 11:02 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,799,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerPhotography View Post
If I can't find someone local to help me, would you mind sharing the name of the company you used? Mahalo!
It was here on the Big Island that we needed to use extra help, so I used one of our largest professional moving companies in this area. I called a few companies beforehand and got quotes, and a guaranteed "maximum", and put into the contract the hourly rate that was used to create the maximum. That way, if things went faster, I could go off the hourly. If it took longer, there was a cap on what I could be charged. [Yes, I did expect that I'd end up paying the quoted maximum, so I considered it basically a contracted rate.] I am glad there was a maximum, because it took longer than expected. We had a lot of stuff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui