Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2012, 06:47 PM

67 posts, read 126,349 times

Advertisements

Fyi on insurance - our mainland insurance agency assured us that we were covered in Hawaii... That may have been true; however, if your insurance certificate does not specifically list the State of Hawaii on it, your car will not pass the safety inspection. On the plus side, we found that car insurance on Maui was considerably less than Washington. Hope this helps someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 08:52 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,305,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerPhotography View Post
Fyi on insurance - our mainland insurance agency assured us that we were covered in Hawaii... That may have been true; however, if your insurance certificate does not specifically list the State of Hawaii on it, your car will not pass the safety inspection. On the plus side, we found that car insurance on Maui was considerably less than Washington. Hope this helps someone.
Here's the deal on that... most car insurance from other states will cover your car while you are visiting on the island.

But those companies are not licensed to sell insurance in Hawai'i. So the huge national companies, like Geico for instance, have separate companies in Hawai'i that are licensed by the state. And you need an official coverage card, printed on safety paper and mailed to you by that Hawaiian company, in order to pass the inspection and thus be able to register your ride in Hawai'i.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:03 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,544,015 times
Funny, I printed out my insurance card on my printer, and passed for the safety........ So much for that.

Aloha and......................................

Old 07-20-2012, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Funny, I printed out my insurance card on my printer, and passed for the safety........ So much for that.

Well, they specifically tell you that is not permitted, but perhaps you confused them with your personal vog cloud.

Okole Maluna!

Old 07-20-2012, 01:33 AM

Thats odd. The VOG up here must be thinner. GEICO specifically told me to go ahead and print it out....

uuuurrrrpppp,,,,,,,, scuze me,, maybe it's a bad batch of okolehao.. never can tell. hence the endless research.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:58 PM

67 posts, read 126,349 times
LOL We had American Family Insurance for over a decade - just got transferred to a new agent when ours retired... He was all about Yes for Hawaii Insurance before we'd left the Mainland, and had a sudden case of amnesia when we called him from the safety office! LOL But you're exactly right OpenD on the temporary vs permanent in the mainland insurance's eyes... And yes, the Safety Office requires the certificate list HI on it (mainland insurance couldn't provide that)- don't know about the copy vs original...

Old 07-20-2012, 10:36 PM

67 posts, read 158,447 times
Quote:

The inspection station printed mine out for me from an email from my insurance company.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by constantcuriosity View Post
The inspection station printed mine out for me from an email from my insurance company.
Hmmmmmm Maybe they've changed the regs since I had that experience a few years ago. Since it only took a couple of days for the originals to show up in the mail it was no big deal for me.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:52 PM

No, I'd say it's the VOG and the digestifs... The major insurance companies have been doing it for years. Perhaps it's the elevation? Just how high are you?

Aloha and okoledakine

Old 07-21-2012, 01:13 AM

Quote:
No, I'd say it's the VOG and the digestifs... The major insurance companies have been doing it for years. Perhaps it's the elevation? Just how high are you?
Not as high as the folks in Fern Forest, but I am quite a bit upslope from them.

I mean, I had been printing my own insurance certs out on the mainland for years, so I was surprised when the nice lady at Geico... Flo's cousin?... said I'd need the official one on the island. But I dunno, maybe she was just at an elevated altitude herself that day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
View detailed profiles of: