Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 05:26 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times

Advertisements

We used a 20 foot shipping container from Matson. There are other options for packing your stuff into smaller containers and then a bunch of different people's belongings get put into a larger container, but we didn't want to go that way. If we had been moving our entire house full of furniture, then we would have filled a 20 foot container ourselves. Check out Matson's and Pasha's websites -- they are both really informative.

I would think that substitute teaching is a likely possibility, but again we are on the BI and you are on Maui. You can look at the Hawaii DoE website to see what they require for credentials. I know that we checked with the local school principal when we first moved, and she said that they would accept my husband's experience (he taught for over 20 years) and he could forego the Hawaii requirements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 05:28 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
I've been looking into shipping my new car as well and can offer this VERY IMPORTANT INFO:
Matson ships the cars on top of deck, this means your car is EXPOSED TO SALT WATER!!! I've heard horror stories how after 3 weeks oF constant sea spray exposure RUST had began to develop!!
Sorry, but this is not accurate. Matson loads cars belowdecks.

And in terms of damage to cars and problems with claims, if you read the customer reviews available Horizon seems to be the worst offender by far. Plus they keep getting into legal trouble. They were fined $45 million by the US government due to a price fixing conspiracy, on top of an earlier $20 million settlement of a class-action suit against them. The fine was later reduced to $15 million by government agreement to avoid forcing them into bankruptcy. Then in February this year they were fined $1 million plus $500,000 for deliberately discharging oil pollution at San Francisco Bay and onto the high seas, and falsifying pollution control records about that. Personally, I don't like doing business with bad actors like this.

$45M fine tilts Horizon to bankruptcy - Hawaii Business - Honolulu Star-Advertiser

USDOJ: US Attorney's Office - Northern District of California

Horizon Lines fined $1 million in Oakland pollution | Longshore & Shipping News

What sets Pasha apart from the other two, who are giant generalized shippers of mostly containerized cargo, is that they operate a single ship which was specially designed as a vehicle carrier, and they run a regular two week cycle on a published schedule... a week from California to Hawai'i, and around to each of the neighbor island ports to unload and load, then back to California.

The concept has been so successful that Pasha is now building a second ship to expand their capacity, and Matson has built a similar specialized ship to try to stay competitive in this niche market.

Another difference is that due to the size of their ships, Horizon and Matson unload all cars in Honolulu and then load them on barges for delivery to neighbor islands, so there are more opportinities for damage, whereas Pasha delivers directly to each port. Because of that ability they've also recently obtained permission to pick up general cargo at each island they visit for delivery at their other stops, in competition with Young Brothers, who handle the barge and towboat business between the isles.

In addition Pasha has dropoff terminals all over the country, and a simple price quote system right on their website. They really have by far the best orientation toward the customer.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:00 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,559,642 times
Thanks for intell on Pods and Upak relocubes....I heard Upak was better cost wise, but haven't looked into this yet....I will continue to look into these details..
.I can tell you www:howtoliveinhawaii.com explains quite a bit and clearly about shipping carriers, freight forwarders, and the pod/cube approach...but, of course, no prices..
.apparently there's choice of container size..still trying to get a straight answer/quote on how much the 20'x8x8 cost {las vegas to kihei]. they get my phone numbe,r then sales people want a lot of details and exact measurements and dates which I didn't want to give them at this time. They call incessantly now
. ..also..for the vehicle, apparently the barges from mainland to honolulu are covered, but the leg of journey from honolulu to kahuhlui by young brothers is all exposed. Mabey a way around this is Pasha says they go straight from CALIF to MAUI. I haven't look into this yet...will look into these things...

Old 09-30-2012, 06:48 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,559,642 times
Thanks for that detailed intell. I definitely am putting Pasha as choice number one as I agree, more chances for problems loading and then reloading, as well as I wouldn't want to support polluters.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I got shipping quotes from Pods, and U-pack relocubes: Pods, door to door from Central Ca. to Honokowai was $4368 for a 16 ft container. Relocubes for 2 cubes was $7986, for about the same amount of cubic feet. I'm not sure why there is such a big difference. Some posters got their best deal with relocubes. Others talk about using a "shipping container". Not sure if they mean the kind I've mentioned or the steel containers used worldwide. Anyone know how you would arrange one of those, and is there a cheaper option?
The most used steel shipping containers, called ISO Intermodal Standard, are 8 x 8 x 20' or 8 x 8 x 40'. These are the corrugated containers you see on trucks and trains and stacked 6 high on container ships. They were orginally designed by Matson after WWII to serve its California to Hawai'i cargo route. They were expressly designed to be able to fit under bridges and inside train tunnels to allow them to be easily transferred as a single package between different modes of transpertaion... hence "intermodal." And although other sizes and specialized containers are also used, these two are so versatile and interchangeable that they are now widely used all over the world.

The only problem with them is that for smaller shipments, and especially household moves, a 20' container weighing 6,500 pounds can just be more than is wanted or needed. So around 15 years ago ABF Freight Systems, a huge trucking line based in Arkansas, introduced "less than a truck" shipping with Relocubes. The size of the basic Upack Relocube is 6' long X 7' wide x 8' high, roughly 1/4 the size of a 20' ISO container.

ABF Freight System, Inc. - Home Page

A year later a similar concept, but focused on temporary storage rather than shipping, called PODS, was unveiled in Clearwater, Florida. Originally plywood boxes over a steel frame, now steel skins over polyethylene core with roll-up doors and a translucent roof, they have become popular through a network of independent moving and trucking companies. They have three sizes 8 X 7 X 7', 8 X 8 X 12' and 8 X 8 X 16'.

The Best Moving & Storage Idea Ever for Self Storage, Portable Moving and Storage Solutions | PODS

Relocubes have achieved good market penetration for military and corporate relocations, and have been available for shipment to Hawai'i for several years.

PODS (Portable On Demand Storage) have been a little slower to penetrate the Hawai'i market, apparently because of the speciallized "Podzilla" equipment used to handle them. They began service to and within Oahu a couple of years ago, then announced service to neighbor islands, then backtracked. At present they only list a Honolulu location.

In both cases, it may not be obvious at first glance, but the container will actually wind up being shipped to Hawai'i via Matson or Horizon, or possibly Pasha. Neither ABF nor PODS operate ships. What's more, these fractional containers may be combined inside larger ISO Standard containers for the over-water portion of their trip, which affects both schedule and total cost.

All this is by way of explaining, with all the extra handling that the fractional size containers require, why shipping a half-full 20' ISO container can actually be cheaper, in many cases, than shipping a full Relocube or PODS. Several posters here have mentioned shipping 20' containers from the west coast for $3,000 - 3,500. The key thing is to do your own research thoroughly.

And for smaller loads, shipping boxed goods stacked on individual shrink wrapped pallets (4 X 4 x ?) can be less expensive than any of the above. I had a 6' stack weighing 500# shipped from Dallas for about $500.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:20 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,831,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
The most used steel shipping containers, called ISO Intermodal Standard, are 8 x 8 x 20' or 8 x 8 x 40'. These are the corrugated containers you see on trucks and trains and stacked 6 high on container ships. They were orginally designed by Matson after WWII to serve its California to Hawai'i cargo route. They were expressly designed to be able to fit under bridges and inside train tunnels to allow them to be easily transferred as a single package between different modes of transpertaion... hence "intermodal." And although other sizes and specialized containers are also used, these two are so versatile and interchangeable that they are now widely used all over the world.

The only problem with them is that for smaller shipments, and especially household moves, a 20' container weighing 6,500 pounds can just be more than is wanted or needed. So around 15 years ago ABF Freight Systems, a huge trucking line based in Arkansas, introduced "less than a truck" shipping with Relocubes. The size of the basic Upack Relocube is 6' long X 7' wide x 8' high, roughly 1/4 the size of a 20' ISO container.

ABF Freight System, Inc. - Home Page

A year later a similar concept, but focused on temporary storage rather than shipping, called PODS, was unveiled in Clearwater, Florida. Originally plywood boxes over a steel frame, now steel skins over polyethylene core with roll-up doors and a translucent roof, they have become popular through a network of independent moving and trucking companies. They have three sizes 8 X 7 X 7', 8 X 8 X 12' and 8 X 8 X 16'.

The Best Moving & Storage Idea Ever for Self Storage, Portable Moving and Storage Solutions | PODS

Relocubes have achieved good market penetration for military and corporate relocations, and have been available for shipment to Hawai'i for several years.

PODS (Portable On Demand Storage) have been a little slower to penetrate the Hawai'i market, apparently because of the speciallized "Podzilla" equipment used to handle them. They began service to and within Oahu a couple of years ago, then announced service to neighbor islands, then backtracked. At present they only list a Honolulu location.

In both cases, it may not be obvious at first glance, but the container will actually wind up being shipped to Hawai'i via Matson or Horizon, or possibly Pasha. Neither ABF nor PODS operate ships. What's more, these fractional containers may be combined inside larger ISO Standard containers for the over-water portion of their trip, which affects both schedule and total cost.

All this is by way of explaining, with all the extra handling that the fractional size containers require, why shipping a half-full 20' ISO container can actually be cheaper, in many cases, than shipping a full Relocube or PODS. Several posters here have mentioned shipping 20' containers from the west coast for $3,000 - 3,500. The key thing is to do your own research thoroughly.

And for smaller loads, shipping boxed goods stacked on individual shrink wrapped pallets (4 X 4 x ?) can be less expensive than any of the above. I had a 6' stack weighing 500# shipped from Dallas for about $500.
This is really helpful information. Thank you for taking the time to share it!
My quote from Pods includes delivery to 96761 (Honokowai), so perhaps they have an arrangement with a local delivery company? Not knowing what I will wind up with for permanent housing, I can only speculate about what I might ship later. Do you know if any shippers will drop off, and pickup an ISO container at a home for loading, (like Pods), or do you have to bring your stuff to them?
Thanks again!

Old 09-30-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
. ..also..for the vehicle, apparently the barges from mainland to honolulu are covered,
From California to Hawai'i transportation is by powered ships, not towed barges

Quote:
but the leg of journey from honolulu to kahuhlui by young brothers is all exposed.
For Matson and Horizon, that is correct, but Pasha goes direct. And for Kauai, Pasha also unloads at Honolulu. Still, it's only a day or two of exposure.

Quote:
Mabey a way around this is Pasha says they go straight from CALIF to MAUI. I haven't look into this yet...will look into these things...
Here's how it works... there's currently only one ship...

The current sailing left San Diego on Thursday last, Sept 27
It arrives in Honolulu Tues, Oct 2 and unloads Oahu and Kauai bound cars and cargo
Loads and leaves Honolulu Weds, Oct 3

Arrives and unloads Hilo Weds, Oct 3
Loads and leaves Hilo Thurs, Oct 4

Arrives and unloads Kahului (Maui) Thurs, Oct 4
Loads and leaves Kahului Thurs Oct 4

Arrives and unloads San Diego Weds Oct 11

Loads and leaves San Diego Thu Oct 12
Etc.

Pasha also has shipments from Oakland and Long Beach to San Diego to connect with the Jeane Anne, as well as truck connections from terminals all over the country.

Check the schedule below for more details,

http://www.pashahawaii.com/documents...ngschedule.pdf

Last edited by OpenD; 09-30-2012 at 10:26 PM..

Old 09-30-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
My quote from Pods includes delivery to 96761 (Honokowai), so perhaps they have an arrangement with a local delivery company?
Could be. Things change all the time. That's why you need to get specific info and quotes directly from the companies. I can only give you an overview.

Quote:
Do you know if any shippers will drop off, and pickup an ISO container at a home for loading, (like Pods), or do you have to bring your stuff to them?
Anything is possible, everything is negotiable.

The main limitation on using a container is having the appropriate place to put it while loading and unloading. At the shipping end I had enough space at the curb to drop it, two weeks to load it, then they returned to pick it up. At the Hilo end the container was too long to negotiate a sharp turn onto my road, and too wide to park on the roadway, so I arranged to unpack it at the port and ponied things up from there in smaller trucks.

Anything is possible, everything is negotiable. Everything has a price.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:24 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,831,112 times
Default Active Adult Communities

Today, October 1st, the predicted temperature here in Bakersfield, Ca. is 100F. I wear shorts to school every day. (No slippahs though). Why do I want to leave this paradise for Maui? The Air Quality Board just stated that the air today is "unsafe for everybody"...now a regular event. Allergy season has become 365 days per year. Valley Fever is surging, and Hanta Virus has arrived in Yosemite. I feel so much better when I'm anywhere in Hawaii. No more runny nose or congestion. Can't wait!
Does anyone know why there are no Active Adult (55+) type communities in Maui? Are age restrictions illegal? (Not looking for a rest home.)
Thanks!

Old 10-06-2012, 10:39 AM

14 posts, read 24,609 times
Best not to use craiglist , try contacting destination maui property management. They can really help you out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui