Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2012, 02:15 PM

3 posts, read 7,340 times

Advertisements

I've received mixed messages on Maui High. I've been told the only place to go for a decent education is Seabury, but let's be honest the price is insane. My daughters are sophmores in High School and we are looking at moving June 20013. Both are honor roll students who take all advanced programming. Smart. My thought would be they would be at Maui High in all AP advanced classes- which does not have the at risk kids in class.

What "exactly" is the problem at this high school. I'm looking for specifics. Not general comments it's bad. All schools have drugs, all schools have at risk students. I don't believe I can remove this out of my daughters lives. Unless they really aren't teach Algebra and watching movies I just don't see what could be so horrible. Also test scores are not the most important factor. Schools offer varied curriculum for children, it's up to the kid if they want to apply themselves.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:02 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,810,823 times
You can find the School-by-School Results for 2012 Hawaii State Assessment here. Search through the CityData forums (search feature) to learn more about the problems of public schools (it is a statewide system composed of the Board of Education and Department of Education).

Your post seems to indicate that drugs on campus would be one deciding factor for you. You might want to do research on the drug policies in the public system vs private school(s). And, being in AP classes will not insulate your children from drugs.

Gently asked, have you given thought to if moving your then-to-be Juniors into a new high school will be in their best interest?

Good luck.

Last edited by CyberCity; 10-17-2012 at 04:11 PM..

Old 10-17-2012, 07:51 PM

3 posts, read 7,340 times
I'm not concerned about my daughters being exposed to drug use. I would just like to know why everyone calls Maui Schools bad. Is this soley based on standardized testing scores or is there something else I should be aware of??

Moving my daughters to Maui is in my husband's best interest. He is the main breadwinner and has been offered an opportunity to join a partnership with an existing company on the island. Our daughters have 2 years of school left, I would say they are pretty much done with their career in public school. We just need to wrap things up and send them to college. I would say we are educated in what Maui is, understanding that many islander's aren't interested in more wanna be's moving there to realize they have run out of money.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:47 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,810,823 times
If you are only sending your children to school to "wrap things up", and they are "pretty much done with their career in public school", then you might consider just sending them to the nearest public school from your new residence. Why bother with research if you do not have expectations of them making the maximum use of their next two years of education. I hope your daughters enjoy their last couple of years of high school in Hawaii, since moving is in the best interest of your husband.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:26 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,668,226 times
OP, I just hope that you do a lot more research and reading about schools in Maui. If you don't find the answers you need on this forum, then please just keeping looking around. This is a big decision to make.

I understand the need for your husband to go where the job leads him, but it sounds like you may be doing a disservice to your daughters unless you can afford private school. It's hard enough to move with two years of high school left. I moved around a lot growing up and wouldn't wish that on anyone. Add to that the fact that, from what I've heard about schools in Hawaii, it's going to be hard to find the high standard that they are used to in their current school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui