Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 01:32 AM

1 posts, read 3,299 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Maui for 6 months for his work. We have a realtor and have narrowed our living choices to two homes: one in Makawao and one in Wailea. My husband will drive to Kahului most days for work. I will work from home. We are both 35 and have no kids.

We are having a difficult time choosing between the two rental homes. We love the privacy offered by the Makawao home but are concerned that we are too far from restaurants, grocery stores, etc... We love the location of the Wailea home because we can walk to restaurants and shops but we are concerned that we will easily tire of the tourist scene.

So.....for those of you who are familiar with both areas of the island, what would you do? If we were coming for only a month, we would easily choose Wailea. But since we are making Maui our home until around Thanksgiving, we aren't sure where we want to live.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 02:20 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times
I had no idea that real people actually lived in Wailea - I thought it was nothing but big hotels and golf courses. And of course the beaches, which are pretty good. Makawao is the polar opposite - it is fairly rural, lot more rain, no golf courses, funky little town with funky little art galleries. Personally I would take Makawao. If you gravitate towards Wailea, you might not be happy in Makawao since it is so different. You might want to look a little more at rental options. Pukalani is near Makawao but has more sun, killer views, more stores, and is right up the hill from Kahului.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:11 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
We have a condo in Wailea and find the area suits us. Yes there are tourists but depending on where you live it isn't bothersome. We like the convenience of shopping and restaurants and enjoy meeting people from all over.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:07 AM

18,382 posts, read 19,008,619 times
Makawao is a sleepy town with not much to do. you would have to go back down the hill into Kahului to get any real food shopping done. if you want quiet that would fit the bill. I would pick Wailea/Kihei you have food stores near by as well as great places to eat and some of the best beaches on the island all within a few minutes drive. if the rental house is in Wailea "proper" I doubt you will have many tourist bothering you. good luck you will have a great time

Old 03-21-2013, 09:59 PM

275 posts, read 419,248 times
i lived down the road from Makawao in Kula & loved that area, it was a pretty friendly rather rural area back then, but you got great views of the coast fron Kula too.
however if you HAVE to be near beaches i guess Wailea wud be a mo' betta choice.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:41 PM

90 posts, read 296,652 times
It depends on what you'd like. Wailea is more expensive but has the beaches and shops. Makawao is a little cheaper, more isolated, quiet, etc. It's also closer to Kahului. The commute from Makawao to Kahului is 15 minutes and the commute from Wailea to Kahului is more than double that.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:04 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,895,202 times
The only other thing I can think of that hasn't been covered here is weather. We're in Ka'anapali, so I'm not prejudiced toward either upcountry or South Maui. After 12 years here, though, I can assure you that Wailea will be very hot and dry in the summer and Makawao cooler and rainier. We're from the sultry east coast, so summers here are always cooler and much less humid than there, but plenty hot. If you have a strong preference for hot/dry or cool/variable, you're in luck.

Best of luck.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:36 PM

337 posts, read 612,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaToMaui View Post
We are having a difficult time choosing between the two rental homes. We love the privacy offered by the Makawao home but are concerned that we are too far from restaurants, grocery stores, etc... We love the location of the Wailea home because we can walk to restaurants and shops but we are concerned that we will easily tire of the tourist scene.
You might tire of the tourist scene, but I think you'll get tired of driving to/from places to eat faster if you only have a few options. Grocery store is a wash, you'll have to drive into Kihei from Wailea for that.

Depends if you like eating out quite often. Do you like Mexican food? There's no semblance of that upcountry, but upcountry has a nice pasta place. Sushi/Pizza is a wash. Although you are closer to flatbread and colleens if you lived upcountry. I'd pick Kihei though, you never get tired of going to watch the sunset at the beach, and having a short drive home.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:48 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,569,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchTempo View Post

Depends if you like eating out quite often. Do you like Mexican food? There's no semblance of that upcountry, but upcountry has a nice pasta place.
Think you may have just been posthumously 86'd from Pollis

aloha, a a'ole okolemaluna 'oe

Old 03-28-2013, 10:51 AM

569 posts, read 779,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerlene View Post
It depends on what you'd like. Wailea is more expensive but has the beaches and shops. Makawao is a little cheaper, more isolated, quiet, etc. It's also closer to Kahului. The commute from Makawao to Kahului is 15 minutes and the commute from Wailea to Kahului is more than double that.
I agree with all of this. I'd also add that the Waliea commute will really depend on the location. If your home is close to the Pilani Hwy and your husbands office has easy highway access, it'll probably be more like 20 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui