Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 03:34 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by larisa.murren View Post
So, is it absolutely impractical? Even with the management company?
Trust the judgment of longtime residents who almost unanimously say, don't sign a long-term lease or buy a property until you have personally inspected it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 04:54 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Larisa, part of the problem is that housing on Hawaii is really different than housing on the mainland. It is tiny, so it might not be what you expect. See it first and then you won't be disappointed.

There are some not-so-good neighborhoods, so you will want to see the neighboring properties, first, before you sign a lease.

Also, it's a good idea to see how clean the place is. Unless you don't mind scrubbing up the dirt from the last tenant. Not every landlord will rent out a dirty place, but there are a few who will.

You will want to see what traffic is like between the house and your work. Little things like will the trade winds blow through the house to help cool it are important.

Seeing the landlord face to face, watching him open the door with his key, and putting your hands on the rental agreement and getting a copy right there will go a long ways towards saving you from some of the common scams.

There are legitimate vacation rental places where you can get a place for a couple of weeks while you look around and pick a place to live. I'd hate to see you start your life on Hawaii right off with a disappointment

Old 07-04-2013, 04:56 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elaineo View Post
Once you get to Maui, if you want to get rid of the crates, you could donate them to the Maui Humane Society, they're always looking for them.
Or, they make dandy end tables. Dogs tend to like to have a nice little cave to sleep in and you can set a lamp on one, and your drink.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:19 PM

65 posts, read 96,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauimagic View Post
Here's an idea. Rent a vrbo rental for 1-4 weeks while you house hunt. What prop mgmt co are you using ? Where are you working ? Where do you want to live ?

What us this supposed job that hired you 6 mos out? Sounds fishy ....
I just cannot imagine to come to Maui with two dogs without any secured rental place in advance. Where do I have to go from Airport? Give me please some idea, please!
About 6 months prepaid rent - why is it not allowed in Maui?
Thank you!

Old 07-04-2013, 06:26 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
It's not about your 6 months of pre-paid rent, it's your dogs the landlords aren't interested in.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:33 PM

65 posts, read 96,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Larisa, part of the problem is that housing on Hawaii is really different than housing on the mainland. It is tiny, so it might not be what you expect. See it first and then you won't be disappointed.

There are some not-so-good neighborhoods, so you will want to see the neighboring properties, first, before you sign a lease.

Also, it's a good idea to see how clean the place is. Unless you don't mind scrubbing up the dirt from the last tenant. Not every landlord will rent out a dirty place, but there are a few who will.

You will want to see what traffic is like between the house and your work. Little things like will the trade winds blow through the house to help cool it are important.

Seeing the landlord face to face, watching him open the door with his key, and putting your hands on the rental agreement and getting a copy right there will go a long ways towards saving you from some of the common scams.

There are legitimate vacation rental places where you can get a place for a couple of weeks while you look around and pick a place to live. I'd hate to see you start your life on Hawaii right off with a disappointment
I agree with everything you said, it is all right. But I have two dogs with me coming to Maui. Can I find the vacation house with my pets? And where can I find info about vacation homes and if they are available? Can I secure one from CA before coming?

Old 07-04-2013, 06:38 PM

Why not have friends/family keep your dogs until you find housing?

Old 07-04-2013, 07:00 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,274,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauimagic View Post
Here's an idea. Rent a vrbo rental for 1-4 weeks while you house hunt. What prop mgmt co are you using ? Where are you working ? Where do you want to live ?

What us this supposed job that hired you 6 mos out? Sounds fishy ....
Is a VRBO rental pretty safe, renting it sight unseen on the Internet? I am assuming it would be pretty safe if the property has many positive reviews. Also, I think the VRBO rental, at least in Maui county, needs to have a permit from what I have seen lately on VRBO rentals. I am planning on renting a VRBO for a week or more on both Maui and the Big Island in November.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:08 PM

I think if the property has a decent history of reviews and accepts credit cards you are probably ok.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:16 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
Thank you for loving your dogs and wanting them with you.

Too often we hear, "I'm moving and can't take the dogs........." and off to the pound they go, to soon be euthanized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui