Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 02:36 PM

28 posts, read 45,910 times

Advertisements

So, Maui moving source, I'm new to this place (city-data forum thing) and am seriously planning to move to Hawaii. I'm a clinical and school social worker in downstate NY. I contend with the very high cost of living here (@least 1k/month here for studio or 1BR apt.). I anticipate a huge pay cut moving to Hawaii (I see SWs making 45-50k), but seriously want to get out of the rat race here in NY (people so quick to aggressive and violent, even kids; people so quick to sue looking for payout; it's all about me and who cares about you; long commutes; etc.). There's an upside to living here, but the downsides are enough to make we really need to get out. I have lived up north US and down south US, and even out of the country, and traveled to numerous different countries.
I know my Maui vacation years ago wasn't the real Hawaii, but love how friendly the people where, aloha spirit, how beautiful it was, how laid back it was, and want to live the lifestyle (laid back, healthier eating options without relying upon processed food too much, being able to enjoy the outdoors again, and less aggressive callous mean people). I'm not one of those nose in the air untraveled uncluttered types. The thing I loved about traveling was experiencing the different cultures. Differences, similarities, poverty and all.
But I have to consider is it feasible to live on 45-50k/year. I don't have to live a luxurious life or go out to eat all the time or travel a lot or keep up with the joneses. We often do the things on vacation we don't do back home, so spending tons of money on activities and going out to eat or shopping isn't necessary. i love nature, the beach, different environmental natural areas. I want a nice peaceful happy less stressful life. But can I do it on 45-50k/yr.? Do you know the take home each month would be in Maui after taxes for 50k? Do I have to have a 2nd or 3rd job, and is it unreasonable to not want to commute more than 30minutes each way? I have a big dog and a small dog and don't like leaving them alone (not that they're destructive or behave badly, just they are my children.) i dont plan on having children of my own. Will I have a hard time finding a rental that accepts dogs? I heard Soundpointe in kihei accepts dogs but don't know what rent there runs.
I'm trying to research, consider, and plan for as much as possible so that I can make an educated choice. I have a 20something family member that may move with me but don't want to assume that they would be a definite income factor over the long run, should they decide to move back to the mainland. They would be transferring their job to one of the big hotels from NY.
I also need a good general physician or internist to keep up on my typical medical concerns (monthly to trims they visits for med. renewals). When I was in Maui years ago, my chronic northeast coast allergies were greatly alleviated. How is the medical scene/availability and quality on Maui? I hear that getting a good physician on the BI is hard and more often than not the good ones aren't accepting any more patients.
I'm also not sure if I should pursue another school social worker job or through the hospital. I heard you and some of the others mention another school and hospital on maui being planned, but didn't see that it has been built or hiring.
Someone told me that no way could I make it on such a low salary on Oahu without commuting over 30minutes they say typical commutes for jobs in unaffluent places are easily 90minutes due to traffic issues there. So, again, I continue to gather as much info. As possible. I have seen a lot of your posts and you really seem to be a wealth of info. All info. Is Welcome. Thank you in advance. Aloha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 09:53 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzieq_p View Post
So, Maui moving source, I'm new to this place (city-data forum thing)...

... I have seen a lot of your posts and you really seem to be a wealth of info. All info. Is Welcome. Thank you in advance. Aloha.
No diss meant, but you've basically posted the same thing in three different forums, which all the same people read and comment on. Since you're not even clear what island you might want to live on, perhaps it would be best if you concentrate on the main Hawai'i forum for a while until you have more clarity.

And while MauiMovingSource might be a genius at this topic, she/he has only been a member here for a month, while there a whole posse of regulars here who have lived in Hawai'i for years who have a lot of valuable in-depth information to share.

JungoJohann, for example, knows more about the cannibal situation than anybody!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui