Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 05:54 PM

7,373 posts, read 15,942,760 times

Advertisements

I think the responses you'll get are more revealing of the person responding and can only help you so much with your own comfort zone. Some are into taking big risks and others are cautious and more aware of the practical angle.

The cons are that it is very expensive for most people and flying back to CA for frequent visits probably won't be in the cards. The school system under-performs compared to most of the mainland, but this won't be an issue for you.

The pros include being in a place with good weather for outdoor activities the whole year, proximity to the other islands for short or long vacations, less traffic than SoCal, and living in a fairly unique place in the world.

You only live once and nothing is forever.....I'd go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 06:09 PM

115 posts, read 226,852 times
Just by reading the words on the screen "I'd go" makes my heart jump all the way to my throat. (haha...at least that is my best description of it.)

I don't want to regret not going...hubby will be home soon for our big talk. The "you only live once" theory is very seductive to me.

Also...we know if we go, we need to say goodbye to everyone for many years.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:18 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,789,545 times
Make a written list of your long-range goals, and be sure that you place "accumulate a large savings account" towards the bottom, because the day-to-day expenses of Hawaii will eat up the average paycheck. If you and your husband are agreeable to the financial aspects, then consider yourself lucky that you already have a job lined up (a major planning accomplishment!) in this wonderful place to live!

Good luck on your discussion with your husband in coming to a decision that fits the needs and wants of your family.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:27 PM

7,373 posts, read 15,942,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanove View Post
Just by reading the words on the screen "I'd go" makes my heart jump all the way to my throat. (haha...at least that is my best description of it.)

I don't want to regret not going...hubby will be home soon for our big talk. The "you only live once" theory is very seductive to me.

Also...we know if we go, we need to say goodbye to everyone for many years.
Ah, there's where you're wrong. Trust me, they'll be over to visit you at the drop of a hat.

BTW, I've lived in Kihei, Kahului, and Lahaina. You'll like living in the Kihei area, which is where I assume your husband's work will be.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:30 PM

337 posts, read 609,493 times
Quote:
whtviper1...I didn't know there was turnover all the time. Although my husband was told today, there are always "contracting" positions. I've been checking indeed.com for the last 3 years and have only seen 2 positions in Maui, though maybe they didn't always post to indeed.
This is pretty accurate, the 2 friends who are currently employed by MECO were waiting for a position to open for about 2-3 years as they weren't hiring until maybe early 2012. Alot of electricians prior to that were unemployed for about 3 years.

Average lots for housing around central Maui is going to be between 3,000-10,000 sq ft with anything over 7,000 sqft probably having a cottage in the back. Some homes have zero lot lines so properties are touching/connected. The ones that aren't are usually built right on the 5 ft setback from the property line to maximize space. So imagine your home being 10 ft away from the next along usually 2 sides of the home atleast. Just trying to give you an idea of space. You kind of get used to the noise after a while and it just becomes something in the background.

If you go upcountry or Haiku you can probably find larger lots, but your commute time will increase as someone mentioned prior. Oh and biking to work will probably be fun as it will be all downhill, but your hubby will probably call you at the end of the day since he won't want to go up that mountain after a hard day.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:56 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,743,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchTempo View Post
This is pretty accurate, the 2 friends who are currently employed by MECO were waiting for a position to open for about 2-3 years as they weren't hiring until maybe early 2012. Alot of electricians prior to that were unemployed for about 3 years.
I look at it a little bit different. If they are willing to hire sight unseen just over the phone - that has a level of being desparate. Since turnover is very high with mainland transplants - it isn't a reach that in the current economy (low unemployment), jobs at Maui Electric will be available in the months to come.

But, lets say the economy falters again - as a recent hire, if they do a downsizing, guess what order they tend to downsize from - yep, the most recent hires.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Trust me, they'll be over to visit you at the drop of a hat.
That is one of the biggest myths of living in Hawaii - you'll have all these visitors. In theory it sounds nice - but unless they come to Hawaii regularly to begin with, not everyone can cough up $800 tickets from S. Cal in the summer - and they won't fit in your 1,000 sq ft rental at $2,000/month either, so they'll need a hotel room. It adds up. They'd love to come - being able to afford to visit is another issue.

Where I work we constantly hire people from the mainland - many of them have never once had a visit from friends/family - they always have to go back to the mainland to see them.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:41 PM

115 posts, read 226,852 times
Here's where we are at now:

He is definitely taking the next phone interview. We not only reviewed this thread, but I showed him numerous other posts of important factors to consider.

One of the main concerns I am hearing concerns financial issues.
We would be able to get back when we felt like it. That is not an issue. We also are ok with starting over if need be...can even stay with his parents for a short time if we had to...but those are worst care scenarios. Yet, we have back up plans. We will not be stuck there, as I have read in some posts. We consider our savings as well. We are not in debt either. So all money factors are being taken into account.

Our goal is a loooonnngg vacation. We doubt people will visit. If they do, great. This is more of a lifestyle choice for us. Something we think will be good for the family for the time being. We don't know what will come after. I was told by another member that I could possibly get a job at a private school and perhaps have the kids go to the same school, if homeschooling doesn't work out the way I plan. If the economy falters and they cut back, the contractors are usually looking for linemen. Or that would be our cue to come back.
So yes, it is a risk financially that we are willing to take. We just found out we have two contacts on Maui as well...friends' families. Nice to know at least one person I have family on the Big Island in Kailua-Kona. Haven't shared this info. yet, as it was all so new and we weren't sure what we were doing.

Next step is to visit and the interview...will keep you posted

Now where is that bottle of wine...

Old 08-15-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:

Next step is to visit
Yay!! That is the best thing you can do to make a more informed decision.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:56 PM

941 posts, read 1,955,649 times
Just from a few things you've said (salary, homeschool, attitude) I think you could make it on Maui. However, the question is, knowing all the downsides (small housing, hit to savings), do you really want Maui, or are you blinded by the stereotype? One thing that makes me doubt is how you referred to living on Maui as a "loooonnngg vacation."

I definitely feel lucky to live in Hawaii, but rain or shine, my family has an everyday routine that involves work, chores, schooling (my kid is also homeschooled), shopping, budgeting, etc. Some days it wouldn't matter where we lived (and that is kinda depressing, when you think about it). We live on a 7000 sqf property with 5 houses around us, and 3 more across the road. It's actually a nice a peaceful neighborhood, but then there's a mower or a weedwhacker to make noise. Obviously, we deal with these things and still love it here and make the best of it, and many people do.

I rather disagree with the YOLO and no-regrets attitude: they're great if that's your personality, but I don't think they fit everyone. Some people are able to see the silver lining no matter how dark the cloud, others will get depressed and angry.

So yes, take a trip and look at housing, traffic, and grocery shopping. If you can put up with those and still have the vacation attitude, Maui might be for you. On the other hand, if you're looking for a small quiet homestead, you might make it to Washington state after 1-2-3 years on Maui, and then say "why didn't we just come here, we could've saved for our down payment and have our own place already."

I guess what I'm saying is, is your lifetime dream to live a suburban life on a tropical island far from family, or is it something else?

Another thing I often point out on this forum is that you won't be making that many trips to neighbor islands. At $80 per segment, just the flights to Honolulu are $640 R/T for a family of 4. That makes for a $1000 trip at a minimum (car rental, hotel, food). That's actually half the price of a mainland trip (if you get the cheap tickets during the school year).

I also agree with others who are saying people won't visit you as much as you expect (because of the cost and limited vacation). And while it can be fun to have visitors, it is also a big disruption.

Anyways, I don't mean to be overly negative, it is certainly doable. Just be honest with yourself about how you would handle it, make sure both spouses agree and the kids can handle it, and be sure you're willing to move again, without disappointment, should you need to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui