Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 02:29 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
The first priority should be to pursue a career that is viable and and provide you with enough income to improve you life, standard of living, and make retirement possible.
Davephan, I know you and others who preach the "get a job and buckle down and start saving money" message mean well, but I'd say that's what Jobs meant about connecting the dots looking backwards. It's not a message that members of the Millennial Generation, like the OP, can hear, as they live their lives forward. What you are saying does not resonate with them. They don't want what you want. They have a very different set of values from those of preceding generations.

As a taste...

Quote:
One student points out that her generation is proud of cultural and intellectual difference in a way not fully actualized in the Baby Boomers. Millennials “are not satisfied with inequalities as the status quo, not by ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion (or lack thereof), or location.” Another expands on her position, commenting that young Americans today believe that there are many equally valid paths to human happiness. As a result, Millennials are more accepting of non-traditional life choices, which would have been looked down upon in years past.

This perspective includes a greater acceptance of “wandering aimlessly through many jobs, passions, and pursuits” and a more progressive stance on the hot button issues of the culture wars.

Campus Conversation on Values | Does the Millennial Generation Have Values Fundamentally Different from Its Predecessors? | Hayley Campbell
My point being that when someone asks the kind of questions here on CDF that the OP did... wants to know what living in Kihei is like... looking forward to a change, a challenge... not approaching it as a permanent change so much as an exploration... then answering their questions is a kindness, while lecturing them on the values of your generation is pretty much a waste of effort. They're already convinced that we all did it wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 03:49 PM

106 posts, read 230,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Davephan, I know you and others who preach the "get a job and buckle down and start saving money" message mean well, but I'd say that's what Jobs meant about connecting the dots looking backwards. It's not a message that members of the Millennial Generation, like the OP, can hear, as they live their lives forward. What you are saying does not resonate with them. They don't want what you want. They have a very different set of values from those of preceding generations.

As a taste...

My point being that when someone asks the kind of questions here on CDF that the OP did... wants to know what living in Kihei is like... looking forward to a change, a challenge... not approaching it as a permanent change so much as an exploration... then answering their questions is a kindness, while lecturing them on the values of your generation is pretty much a waste of effort. They're already convinced that we all did it wrong.
Who should even care if it's a challenge or a permanent change at 23, 43 or 63. I'ts nobodys business how somebody runs their life. We all choose different paths, and sometimes the paths choose us. It's up to us to go forward in any way we deem 'fit' for us. It's fine and dandy to state ones opinion, it is a public forum afterall, but there are a few posters that just go on and on almost to the point of ridicule if not harrassment. I know I"m not the only person who sees that considering there are these 'sly' comments alluding to so without calling out the person(s) in particular.

Nobody who moves to Hawaii owes anybody any explanation.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:06 PM

44 posts, read 54,062 times
Default agree to disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Seriously, that is what the "American Dream" means to you - wow. The American Dream is a concept that stresses materialism/prosperity that can be available to every American. You know, things like education or home ownership. When folks like Dr. Martin Luther King referenced the American Dream - I doubt he was thinking about Hawaii.
MLK and the AD, excuse me for exercising my right to free speech.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:47 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,276,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Steve Jobs made incredible sums of money and was successful in most people's view. However, Steve Jobs is dead because of himself. He refused to seek conventional treatment, until it was too late. So, he was rich, but is gone. He could be alive today if he made wiser choices. I also heard that Steve Jobs treated his employees very poorly, which is nothing anyone should admire.

I think that's true that the young generation does not think the same way that the older generations think. The older generations have the advantage of learning though the failures and successes in life. Young people in general aren't thinking about their future in the long term. They should be thinking that way. Their values may be one thing, but you can't pay your bills with only values. It would wonderful to live in paradise where the summers are endless. However, if your're working 60 - 80 hours a week at minimum wages, no benefits, always broke, have no plan of action if you ever get sick or need to go to the hospital, no way to ever retire, unless you retire in absolute poverty.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:00 PM

65 posts, read 96,744 times
Quote:
Steve Jobs made incredible sums of money and was successful in most people's view. However, Steve Jobs is dead because of himself. He refused to seek conventional treatment, until it was too late. So, he was rich, but is gone. He could be alive today if he made wiser choices. I also heard that Steve Jobs treated his employees very poorly, which is nothing anyone should admire.

I think that's true that the young generation does not think the same way that the older generations think. The older generations have the advantage of learning though the failures and successes in life. Young people in general aren't thinking about their future in the long term. They should be thinking that way. Their values may be one thing, but you can't pay your bills with only values. It would wonderful to live in paradise where the summers are endless. However, if your're working 60 - 80 hours a week at minimum wages, no benefits, always broke, have no plan of action if you ever get sick or need to go to the hospital, no way to ever retire, unless you retire in absolute poverty.
Great respond! I am supporting this opinion!

Old 09-04-2013, 09:25 PM

52 posts, read 89,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manapua12 View Post
who should even care if it's a challenge or a permanent change at 23, 43 or 63. I'ts nobodys business how somebody runs their life. We all choose different paths, and sometimes the paths choose us. It's up to us to go forward in any way we deem 'fit' for us. It's fine and dandy to state ones opinion, it is a public forum afterall, but there are a few posters that just go on and on almost to the point of ridicule if not harrassment. I know i"m not the only person who sees that considering there are these 'sly' comments alluding to so without calling out the person(s) in particular.

Nobody who moves to hawaii owes anybody any explanation.

if i could change the font size for my reply, i would:

amen!!!

Old 09-04-2013, 09:27 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrsalem View Post
MLK and the AD, excuse me for exercising my right to free speech.
Try some google of American Dream - you'll get a good history of when it was defined in the early 1930's - it is about properity - the Constitution addresses the right to free speach.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:08 AM

115 posts, read 227,722 times
Interesting...I see the American Dream as a mythology from Franklin...hard work=success=happiness.
There is also home ownership, stability, and a good job...these steps are not really viable to younger generations. I love in Fight Club when Ed Norton says he is a 32 old boy...went through the steps: college, job, apartment...but not happy.
This terms seems to shift depending on the time period, and what is happening economically and culturally.

I seriously considered coming to Maui, as my husband debated a job there, simply to have the experience of living on a beautiful island. We are in our forties with kids, dog, trailer with quads, dirt bikes, etc...had we been in our twenties with no kids, we would have gone in a heartbeat. It was an extremely difficult decision as the draw to Maui is strong and pervasive for mainlanders.
If I were 23, single, with a place set up and an opportunity to go, I'd go. I think it is good to have different experiences in different environments.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:50 PM

569 posts, read 780,077 times
Quote:
This is a really interesting point, and it's an ironic one. There's a long tradition of older generations trying to impart their wisdom on younger ones and the younger ones being willing to listen only to a point.

I'm in my late 40s and by most people's definition "successful". I followed a lot of peoples' advice and started my "career" while I was still in college. I didn't ever take half a year off to bum around Europe, or work at a ski resort in Tahoe or be a lifeguard on a beach, or live on a Hawaiian island for a year like I wanted to do. You know what? I wish i had...and suspect I'd be every bit as "successful" today if I'd done a little "stupid stuff".

As for the OP, what if she waits tables for a year at a resort, gets promoted to supervisor, maybe manager of the restaurant and then maybe gets into a mangement training program for one of the big hotels. Isn't that a reasonable path to success while still living "the dream"?

I see both sides of the argument, but think us "old farts" shouldn't be heavy-handed with the lectures and just try to lay out things to consider and wish folks luck with whatever path they choose.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:48 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiPartTimer View Post
I see both sides of the argument, but think us "old farts" shouldn't be heavy-handed with the lectures and just try to lay out things to consider and wish folks luck with whatever path they choose.
Exactly. Telling Millenials they need to buckle down, etc. is just about as effective as telling them their music is crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui