Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2013, 03:55 AM

4 posts, read 8,099 times

Advertisements

I have accepted a binding transfer to OGG (airport) in Kahului, and would like advice about a short-term place to stay while looking for a rental property. I need to see the apartment and neighborhood before signing a year lease and handing over a couple of thousand dollars. Next, which neighborhoods or apartment complexes (Budget is $1100, 1250 w/utilities) would be best for our family balancing my work location, rent prices, grade schools, and my wife’s desire to continue her education to obtain a LPN or RN degree. There are three of us in our family, I am 50, white, and not wealthy, my wife is 30’s, Filipina, and a CNA, and we have a 5 year-old son who I may or may not enroll right away in Kindergarten. And yes, I have researched previous post and have found a lot of useful information there, but I am also looking for more specificity relating to my individual situation. Any guidance or suggestions that are constructive would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 02:35 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
I think you need to do some hardcore research on craigslist to see if it's even possible for a family of 3 to live near Kahului for $1,250 with utilities before accepting your binding transfer.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I think you need to do some hardcore research on craigslist to see if it's even possible for a family of 3 to live near Kahului for $1,250 with utilities before accepting your binding transfer.
I have done the 'Craigslist research' for a few weeks, and $1100 w/o utilities is more likely than 1250 with. The transfer is done deal and binding. I would like guidance about short-term places to stay while looking for a rental property, and neighborhoods or apartment complexes that would be best for my family.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:05 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapskatetraveler View Post
I have done the 'Craigslist research' for a few weeks, and $1100 w/o utilities is more likely than 1250 with. The transfer is done deal and binding. I would like guidance about short-term places to stay while looking for a rental property, and neighborhoods or apartment complexes that would be best for my family.
Short term, look at VRBO or AIRBNB, and local B & Bs, but a hotel might your best bet, since your stay is somewhat open ended while you look for something permanent.

Ironically, I don't think residents are generally the best resource for information about temporary accomodations in Hawai'i, because most of us don't ever use them.

That said, you're missing a key detail, which is when you need to do this. Unfortunately last month would have been better than this, and right now is better than two weeks from now, because we're still in the "shoulder" between the two big tourist seasons.

But in case it may help you, an acquaintance of mine was able to do well by contacting a few of the more "modest" B&Bs in the area and finding an owner who was happy to make an open-ended commitment to providing accommodations for a guest who would prepay for two weeks and provide a weeks notice.

Good luck.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Short term, look at VRBO or AIRBNB, and local B & Bs, but a hotel might your best bet, since your stay is somewhat open ended while you look for something permanent.

Ironically, I don't think residents are generally the best resource for information about temporary accomodations in Hawai'i, because most of us don't ever use them.

That said, you're missing a key detail, which is when you need to do this. Unfortunately last month would have been better than this, and right now is better than two weeks from now, because we're still in the "shoulder" between the two big tourist seasons.

But in case it may help you, an acquaintance of mine was able to do well by contacting a few of the more "modest" B&Bs in the area and finding an owner who was happy to make an open-ended commitment to providing accommodations for a guest who would prepay for two weeks and provide a weeks notice.

Good luck.
Thank you sir, your information is helpful and I will check out the resources you provided. My date should be set this upcoming week, somewhere between 30-60 days from 12/06/13.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:15 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,276,325 times
We used VRBO and found good places to stay on both the Big Island and Maui, each for a week. We stayed at places for about $140 per night. Most places were more expensive, some less expensive. It's hard to find places less than $100 per might, since there aren't many of them when you drop below $100 per night, and some of them are a little rough or sketchy if you go too low. It's tougher to find temporary housing in January and February, so you have to book at least six months to a year ahead. It will probably be tough to book for January and February now. The longer term housing is a lot cheaper, but you'd probably have to sign a one year lease. Maybe you could find something you can sublet for a shorter time period.

We didn't check Air B & B, but I heard about that site before from a coworker.

I think you have to probably budget about $4K to $5K per month for temporary housing. You might be able to go lower if a studio or one bedroom with only one bathroom is good enough for you.

I think it would be quite a sacrifice for your future retirement to stay and work in Hawaii, unless you have a six figure salary. Even with that kind of income, it would be tough to save enough for retirement. However, maybe you just want to be able to have lived in Hawaii for a year while you are still young, which is certainly an option for you. Many times, I wish I would have done that, but I didn't in my younger years.

The key to having enough money in retirement is to pay yourself first and live well below your means. Both are difficult to do if you live in Hawaii during your working years. Most young people don't think about retirement and their long term future. Keep that in mind, so you can retire and when you retire, you won't be living in absolute poverty.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:55 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
A LOT depends on the style you expect. On vacation one might choose nicer accommodations than another would while looking for an apartment or house to rent.

Yes, January and February are already heavily booked and peak rates will apply, but there are rooms available if you book now, and there are less expensive options, especially if you're travelling alone. You'll just have to dig, since it's a popular tourist destination when the snow is flying.

I still think the small B&B might be your best best, but in the low, low price category a quick check for 29 days from mid Jan to mid Feb turned up 4 hostels with dorm beds available for around $800 each for the period, and $1,200 for another.

Like I said, it all depends on the style you're comfortable with.

Good luck!

Old 12-09-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
We used VRBO and found good places to stay on both the Big Island and Maui, each for a week. We stayed at places for about $140 per night. Most places were more expensive, some less expensive. It's hard to find places less than $100 per might, since there aren't many of them when you drop below $100 per night, and some of them are a little rough or sketchy if you go too low. It's tougher to find temporary housing in January and February, so you have to book at least six months to a year ahead. It will probably be tough to book for January and February now. The longer term housing is a lot cheaper, but you'd probably have to sign a one year lease. Maybe you could find something you can sublet for a shorter time period.

We didn't check Air B & B, but I heard about that site before from a coworker.

I think you have to probably budget about $4K to $5K per month for temporary housing. You might be able to go lower if a studio or one bedroom with only one bathroom is good enough for you.

I think it would be quite a sacrifice for your future retirement to stay and work in Hawaii, unless you have a six figure salary. Even with that kind of income, it would be tough to save enough for retirement. However, maybe you just want to be able to have lived in Hawaii for a year while you are still young, which is certainly an option for you. Many times, I wish I would have done that, but I didn't in my younger years.

The key to having enough money in retirement is to pay yourself first and live well below your means. Both are difficult to do if you live in Hawaii during your working years. Most young people don't think about retirement and their long term future. Keep that in mind, so you can retire and when you retire, you won't be living in absolute poverty.
Thanks, short-term rentals look very expensive on Maui, seems like the most efficient plan is to only be in one for a couple weeks until we can find a 6-12 lease in an acceptable property. Unsure what lead to retirement planning, but I have a couple small pensions, 401K, and hopefully social security, when that time arrives my wife and I will move back to her home province in the Philippines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui