Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 01:43 AM

44 posts, read 130,738 times

Advertisements

Wouldn't it be in Maui's best interest economically to have a connector road joining these two areas to increase commerce and ease congestion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 03:33 AM

242 posts, read 391,490 times
From my discussions, many in Upcountry like the idea of heading down the hill, but are concerned about the increase in tourists heading up the hill.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:16 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times
You can ask a similar question about other odd road configurations. People have wanted a bypass around Paia for years since it gets so backed up. There are dirt roads in the cane fields that would work if paved and access were given to the public, but for whatever reason the county has never sought or come to terms with HCS.

At any rate, if you build roads it will only increase the resident and tourist population, which will then clog up the roads again. It is a never ending cycle and you never win. May as well just leave it, IMO.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:22 PM

44 posts, read 130,738 times
Well the resident/tourist population is going to increase no matter what. Best way to deal with it is to plan accordingly and develop it in a smart way.

That being said, I am against building a major shopping center adjacent to Piilani hwy in Kihei. Although it might bring additional jobs the existing roads/hwy are insufficient to support the increased traffic that would result.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:02 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,569,617 times
There is a road, directly from just mauka of the piilani in south kihei, to Keokea/Ulupalakua. Beautiful, two lane road, paved and all. YOU can't drive on it. The name says it all, 'Kealakapu Road'.

Aloha, and mahalo Miss Winfrey

Old 03-07-2014, 08:13 PM
DBM

92 posts, read 494,888 times
There is a road planned that will run from North Kihei to the intersection of Kula Highway and Haliimaile Road. I'm not sure where it is in the funding queue, but the route has been chosen. It will be a long time coming, though, with the land acquisition and the construction processes. There are a couple of good sized gulches that will need to be bridged, too, so it's not a simple project.

As to Kealakapu Road, it's not just Oprah who doesn't want it re-opened, Ulupalakua Ranch also has been against re-opening any connector roads. The Ranch is trying to preserve some of the agricultural lands out that way, and opening a connector road to Kihei/Wailea is a surefire way to bring in a lot more development.

Last edited by DBM; 03-07-2014 at 08:37 PM..

Old 03-09-2014, 10:43 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,440,633 times
Remember that guy who robbed the bank in Kihei a few weeks ago? He lived on my street in Pukalani-- the cops arrested him the week before last.

Maybe it's people Upcountry who'll ruin Kihei if there's a road

Old 03-10-2014, 08:32 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,895,202 times
It's my understanding (and I could be wrong, often am) that the land belongs to Ulupalakua Ranch, and that the owners placed it under a protective land trust (ag, watershed, and wildlife habitat) in 2009. So the state would have to buy or take the land (presumably using eminent domain claims) for the "public good." I suspect there would be a very protracted "discussion" about preserving the a'ina, the rights of private landowners, the intrusion of mass traffic across a protected habitat, ecological and environmental issues, etc., in addition to the lack of funding to purchase right-of-way, prepare infrastructure, and build and maintain a road that meets highway safety standards. It might be "convenient" for the many, but it seems unlikely that the county and state would make it a priority. IMHO, of course.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:10 PM

280 posts, read 473,084 times
Just become friends with Oprah and then you can use the road. Or work on the ranch perhaps. I was once obsessed with this road, I think it's a complex of knowing someone can do something that you cannot even though it seems plausible.

I've seen a very nice mercedes SUV come out of a gated road off the Pi'ilani and I would presume that was part of the Oprah or perhaps Ulupalakua clan. Both hold uniquely privileged rights that others simply will not hold.

Kind of like Jay Leno getting his hands on some extremely custom if not singularly rare vehicles, privilege.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:07 PM

337 posts, read 612,981 times
They are still trying to get it funded, but its getting there. For big projects like these we have to get Federal funding to help pay for it. I'm surprised with all the recent big projects coming up like the Kihei High School, and the Airport bypass road between lowes/walmart.

House Budget Includes $72.6 M for K
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
View detailed profiles of: