Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 11:38 AM

4 posts, read 7,993 times

Advertisements

ATTN. RESIDENTS OF MAUI:

I'm leaving Cali and making my way to Hawaii. I have wanted to move for a few years and now, I am in the right place and time. I wanted a little more specific and updated thread to help with my decision on which town to move to in Maui early next year (Jan-Feb 2015). I go to Oahu a couple times a year for work and originally thought that's where I wanted to be, but after spending more than a week there for the first time, I realized it was just way too crowded... it just reminded me of Los Angeles too much (although obviously way more beautiful.. it's Hawaii!). I've visited Maui a total of 8 times and have stayed in Kaanapali, Lahaina and Kihei, but only for no more than 3-4 days and it's always been during the weekend. However, I absolutely LOVE it and I had an immediate "I HAVE to live here" whereas in Oahu, I was thinking "I'd like to move here". I have narrowed it down but have not limited it to Kihei and Lahaina, but I definitely would like some opinions from those who either are like me or relate to me, so about me:

- 28yo single Korean/Caucasian mix Female
- No children but, I have one medium sized mutt that accompanies and participates in all my adventures
- I work at home 30hrs/week for Google and make approximately $2,700/mo consistent income and can bring this job with me to Maui
- I also do wedding videography and photography and teach dance and yoga (these will be jobs I have been and will continue to search for before the move.. hopefully those resorts and tourist areas will need a photographer/videographer) These put in an extra $1000-$1200 in my income (usually saved or used for expenses).
- I am continuing my private pilot's license training in Maui which will be at the airport in Kahului, but I don't mind commuting since I won't be going everyday
- Physical Activities: Hiking, biking, running, surfing, camping and kiteboarding
- Social Activities: Live music entertainment, low-key bars for a beer or two a few nights in the week, maybe 1-2 party nights (out, not at home), backyard BBQ's and laid back kick-backs (when was the last time you used those words?)
- I don't mind the tourists, but I don't want to live right in the middle of it all. Mingling once and a while would be nice, but I don't need drunk Bachelors and Bachelorettes on my front porch every weekend.
- Not super huge on shopping, but once and awhile, hey, a girl has to splurge... it's unfortunately embedded in the DNA
- I eat healthy and don't have a huge range of recipes for everyday eating- fruits, vegetables, yogurts and some fish are my main diet(love those farmer's markets)... but I do like to splurge at a taco stand/burger joint/ bar food type deals a few nights a week. I'm huge on mom&pops coffee joints and cafes.

NOTE: I get to chill and have time for myself most of weekday while working at home, so getting out and socializing will be key for me to not get what I've heard of as "island fever". Weekend days are usually when I like to get out my activities.

I am a super friendly, nonjudgmental, life loving, pretty much carefree, easy-going, happy, healthy, and adventurous person and the only thing I really am looking for are the same type of people. I'm a country girl with city charm and beach bum attitude. Having friends and a good group of people in my everyday life will make or break this move for me (I think that Aloha spirit is what attracted me to the islands in the first place).

Phew! Sorry for the novel, but, I wanted to some genuine advice and opinions and I figure that would be easier if I was thorough. So... in your opinion, where do you think the best place for me would be? Thanks everyone.. your thoughts are sincerely appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 12:21 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,817,240 times
Well - with $2,700/month income, you'll need to find someone looking for a roommate(s) who will take a dog. That might be elusive, so the area you live is probably dependent on that.

I wouldn't count on any photography income, we have a starving photographer poster on here on the Maui board, and he makes little to no income in photography. Anything you get is a bonus.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:38 PM

Thank you! I figured I was going to start with rooming and Im okay with that. Good to know about the photography though!

Old 07-19-2014, 12:39 PM

177 posts, read 337,676 times
The $2700 is maybe a bit low With your internet Job (Google) you will need to find a place that has a solid internet connection. If you are lucky you may be able to find an Ohana to rent for about $1500 off the beach. You can expect to have some where between 500 and 900 sq ft if your lucky. The pooch is the issue there as some do not allow pets.

Knowing that you are comming from CA where the COL is almost as high with a little frugality you should be OK.

Good Luck

Old 07-19-2014, 12:46 PM

Yes, I have been doing well over here in LA with the Google job (bonuses come every couple of months but I don't count them in my consistent income) as my source of living expenses (rent, utilities, food, payments and gas), but I also make an additional average of $1200 and more per month (during the school year an average of $1500 more) on the other jobs, but that will definitely make a huge difference when I move. I live frugally and don't need much (I'm a simpleton.. not high maintenance at all). I'm hoping an establishment of better consistency of more income will grow as I continue to live there. Thank you very much for your input pmmenn2014!

Old 07-19-2014, 12:51 PM

So far, it's looking like I'll need to put in more hours or get a second job. The town I'll need to look for will have to accommodate my income and dog first and foremost...Thanks guys and girls. Keep them coming...

Old 07-19-2014, 12:59 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,817,240 times
While not impossible -just to give you a sense of how challenging finding a roommate that takes dogs, the most recent listings on craigslist that meet that criteria are at least 8 days old as I write this (meaning, they are rented, and nothing available)

Old 07-20-2014, 05:59 AM

242 posts, read 390,554 times
Also, why the PPL lessons at PHOG? That is just a money pit as you can't be paid with that license so the $6000+ you spend on it is unrecoverable. Going on to your CPL will be $50000+, the MIFR rating will cost more. If you go the flying route for a career, you'll be making $20000 sitting right seat on the regionals.

Save some of the $2700/month and don't spend it on flying. You're budget is already tight.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:10 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,726,363 times
@jipsy_jane

The solution is to learn to live with less, your moving to a tropical island. Do you want to spend all hrs of the day working to pay the bills because one wants to maintain a standard of living or have a better living then what they had on the mainland? Trust me learn to live with less and enjoy the tropics, its worth it. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy life. It just means if your accustomed to eating out 4 nights a week, try eating out once a week instead. etc etc.

I get sick of hearing the jibberish of make more money to make it. Thats why everything is so expensive already, people see how much of yourself your willing to sell to live on the islands then it becomes standard costs. Live with less, be flexible, be humble and you will be ok. Oh and make sure you leave enough in your budget for a trip back home if the dream doesn't work. Hawaii is not for everyone. Otherwise dream on and good luck. Aloha

Old 07-20-2014, 03:00 PM

127 posts, read 179,739 times
Aloha Jipsy Jane
Back when I was looking for a place to live, I put an ad in CL. I was nervous at first, and received some creepy responses, but I did find an awesome ohana to live in near the beach for ~$1200...but I honestly think I got lucky. My budget was $1800 for housing, so I've been able to save a bunch and am in the process of looking for a bigger place. Used CL again, and have found some great places. I think your pooch will be the stumbling block, hate to say it. I've known people to leave their pups behind for a few months, while they find that ideal place to accommodate it, and some find a place some don't.

Working here...well, I've managed to find a good job, but it took a lot of searching and humbling efforts. Employers want to ensure that you aren't transient, so you better come up with a solid reason of why you moved to Maui. They've all heard it before - I'll never leave I love it here - but the money runs out or they get homesick and leave. So...long term employers here can be skeptical.

I like your story about eating out once in a while, but loving BBQs (what the heck is a kick back?)...I fell into that mode and i love it. I'll hit a burger stand or sushi spot every once in a while, but am a frequent farmers market patron and love outdoor cooking. I had to think like a resident when I moved here, not a tourist hitting all the cool places because those $50 Monkeypod dinners will add up.

Test out your budget and see if you can make it work. I did that before I moved here, and although it was a struggle it's helping me manage day to day here. I've discovered that my retail therapy days are over, but I'm OK with it. I get excited when I have to drive to Kahului to shop at Costco, and I never thought I would say that. Most things can be shipped...so maybe that will cure the shopping blues.

Outdoor stuff....yup, this is the perfect place for that. It's awesome here for the physically fit and wannabe fit (that's me) - plenty of things to do and try here.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui