Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 12:51 AM

59 posts, read 89,379 times

Advertisements

I'm quite tired of hearing this most hackneyed of explanations. Question for anyone and everyone: would you want to stay somewhere you didn't feel welcome?

Can't find a friend, can't find a job...gee whiz, what a great place I think I'll LIVE here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Ah, another come for a year and then disappear. Which is more normal than not, unfortunately. And is one of the main reasons why folks moving to Hawaii aren't immediately assimilated into the social scene. The folks here will be polite and all, but until you've been here at least a year - if not two, folks here will just generally assume you're going to be leaving soon and won't put that much effort into friendships. This also includes things like opportunities for choice rentals and employment, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 10:15 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,273,538 times
Another broken dream. At least it was an experience for the memories. People that are willing to make sacrifices for their children should be admired. The stories about hostility are disturbing, if true. Without tourism, Hawaii's economy is dead. Without the protection of the United States, Hawaii would have been part of and totally controlled by China or The Soviet Union, it would have never remained an independent nation. Life in Hawaii would be very different if it was not part of the US and controlled by China or The Soviet Union.

The OP's information says he is from Colorado, not the east coast. Maybe part of the problems were required physical attendance for meetings in the east coast, which would be less painful and less expensive from Colorado than Hawaii. Private education gets expensive in Hawaii at $15K to $20K per child per year. If you have several children, it might take two six figures incomes to support those extra expenses.

Free On-line public education has existed for many years in Minnesota as an available option. They run many TV advertisements about the on-line schools on the local TV stations here. Theoretically, it could be possible for the on-line education offered by states with better education systems to cross the state lines. Perhaps in the future, children in Hawaii, and other states with failing public schools could receive their education from another state with on-line learning at a much lower cost than paying for a local private school education. When the different states more directly compete with each other, the competition may improve the quality of education for all states.

I hope life improves for the OP now. It might take 5 to 10 years to recover from the economic setback from the moves.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:31 PM

16 posts, read 14,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcc1118 View Post
We made it to Maui. We have been here for 14 months. Is been an incredible experience. The people and the community are amazing. Schools are a big challenge here on island unless you have deep pockets. I knew they were behind but they really need improvement. We have been here 14 months and are back moving off island. I feel blessed that we have had this amazing experience but for us it's time to get back. I wish you lots of luck in your journey.

Hi, would you mind sharing your kids' ages and how was the social adjustment at school? thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
View detailed profiles of: