Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 01:48 PM

569 posts, read 775,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
It actually means people still drive like idiots, even more so when on vacation, because,

1.) They don't know where they are
2.) The don't know where they're going, and, to make matters worse, don't know how to get there
3.) They're in a hurry
4.) They're on vacation, as in on leave, which, unfortunately, often equates to taking leave of their senses, if only for a week or two
5. ) They still have an ounce or two of cheap rum somewhere between their brain and liver from the previous night

And, THEY DON'T GIVE A SH*T. THEY'RE ON VACATION
Are there stats to back up the assertion that tourists are to blame? Seems to me like plenty of locals drive a little to self-assuredly on winding roads with blind curves.

I've been on the road to Hana and have seen old pickups flying around corners and passing cars in blind spots and thought "That dude's probably been driving this road all his life, but how has he survived driving like that this long?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 02:12 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,796,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiPartTimer View Post
Are there stats to back up the assertion that tourists are to blame? Seems to me like plenty of locals drive a little to self-assuredly on winding roads with blind curves.

I've been on the road to Hana and have seen old pickups flying around corners and passing cars in blind spots and thought "That dude's probably been driving this road all his life, but how has he survived driving like that this long?"
I have seen both. One time about 15 or so years ago, we had a car full of Asian tourists stop in the middle of the road, without out even pulling over to the side, get out of their car and go take pictures of the whales. That was the first time I ever heard a Hawaiian honk their horn and yell like you would hear in New York city. It didn't even phase the tourists, they just kept taking pictures.

I have learned from my travels to Hawaii that if you are driving on a road that you don't normally drive on and you see a car or truck coming up behind you that is obviously not a tourist, pull over and let them pass because they know these roads and are more comfortable driving faster than I am. However, on our last trip to Maui I was amazed at how fast they would fly by me and whip around the corners! As soon as I would see anyone coming I'd pull over and it was like I was waving the green flag to start the Indy 500!

Old 11-25-2014, 02:50 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,538,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiPartTimer View Post

I didn't say it was 'only' tourists. I said it was 'idiots'. Although a tourist driving like a tourist on a road occupied primarily by locals doesn't exactly help diminish problems on an already crowded roadway. In the almost 40 years that I have lived on Maui the roads have not been added to nearly as much as the population has. And you would know that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui