Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 04:38 PM

14 posts, read 51,584 times

Advertisements

Hello SurfinGirl or any of the like... I am you, about 4 years ago.. although its always been my dream to move to Maui since I was 20 years old. I went to college full time for 6 years (had a change in majors) and yet, I never graduated. I felt I was leading a life of misery going into a career I hated, but was forced upon by my mother. She would not help with my school and living costs if I didn't go to school under her terms, which was choosing a major that was approved by her. I always wanted to go into Biology (Marine). I aced all my Marine Biology classes in college, which I took as electives to finish my General Ed and Lower Division classes. I still was not able to pursue that career without being looked down upon by my family. 13 years later and my heartaches that I work with numbers at a production company, sitting behind a desk hiding away from the sun. I visit Maui every year, my mother even bought a condo at the Ka'anapali Ali'i's because she ended up loving Maui so much. I go back every year to whale watch aboard Pacific Whale Foundation, I even had my wedding in Maui and my rehearsal dinner aboard a Pacific Whale Foundation Vessel (whale watch and sunset dinner cruise). My next goal is to hopefully buy some property in Maui and move.. I would like to be there year-round, but likely it can only be during whale season. This is the year I am going to stand up to my family and tell them this, finally, is something I want to do with MY life. My question for you or anybody else who has moved to Maui... how hard was it to settle in? How bad is the island fever? Would a significant amount of savings help to go to Maui to cover low pay scales? Thank you for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 12:44 PM

2 posts, read 1,577 times
I’m looking to eventually get my captains license but for now I would love to work full time as a deckhand as well. I live in Kauai and looking for referrals.

Old 12-06-2018, 02:56 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
Try ask over at Nawiliwili harbor if they know of anyone needing a deckhand? The original post about the deck hand job on Maui was from years ago.

Old 01-25-2019, 01:52 AM

2 posts, read 1,577 times
Thank you!

Old 02-10-2019, 03:31 PM

1 posts, read 640 times
My boyfriend is fishing guide out in Wyoming during the summers and crabs out in Oregon during the winters. I just moved to Maui for work. We both wonder are there fishing guide jobs here in Maui? I often encourage him to get captain boat license, or anything marine related. He’s been deckhand before, and we wonder are there any charters that would take him? Or what would be the best way to become a fishing guide here? (I do worry it may be locals only kind of scene)

Old 02-10-2019, 04:49 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsGirl View Post
Or what would be the best way to become a fishing guide here? (I do worry it may be locals only kind of scene)
Buy a boat

Old 02-12-2019, 04:38 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,554,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsGirl View Post
My boyfriend is fishing guide out in Wyoming during the summers and crabs out in Oregon during the winters. I just moved to Maui for work. We both wonder are there fishing guide jobs here in Maui? I often encourage him to get captain boat license, or anything marine related. He’s been deckhand before, and we wonder are there any charters that would take him? Or what would be the best way to become a fishing guide here? (I do worry it may be locals only kind of scene)
If you guys are seriously interested in setting up a charter business, visit this site Pacific Boats and Yachts - Pacific Boats & Yachts . It is a very complicated sitch in Hawaii, but there are opportunities available in Maui from time-to-time (more on BI out of "Kona"). You have to buy the corporation that has rights to the slip, necessary permits and, perhaps, a boat. Give it a browse, and perhaps call one of the agents for PBS for a briefing on how things work.

BTW, it isn't being a "guide" so much as a charter operator.

If you don't mind long, rough boat rides to the fishing grounds, you can fish out of Maui. If you want calm water and short rides before you start fishing, Kona is your choice.

Much of fishing in Hawaii is around what are called Fish Aggregation Devices (FADS) which are sub-surface bouys that hold fish. Some have torn out of their mooring, however, and are nowhere to be found.

Tight LInes

Last edited by Open-D; 02-12-2019 at 04:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui