Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2015, 06:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,417 times

Advertisements

I've got an extended interview with a sustainable real estate development company focused on agriculture and livestock coming up in a few weeks. The job would be construction manager of some housing and farm/ranch infrastructure on a sustainable ranch in Hana for up to 2-3 years. I have never been to the islands before and am very much looking forward to my upcoming trip.

In terms of my career, this opportunity is like a dream job for me. Working on construction of assets for a company truly devoted to enriching the environment and community it is engaged in. Gaining experience in the residential construction sphere while working with renewable energy and energy efficient design. Working closely with the earth through the farming and livestock rearing sides of the business. And building connections to the community through various means. Perfect for me.

In terms of my social life, I'm a little apprehensive. Everything I've heard about Hana is that it's super remote with a very small, tight-knit community. As a single, 28 yr old guy with an active social network all over the mainland, I'm nervous that moving to Hana could be pretty lonely.

I'm a big fan of the outdoors and the water and have a positive attitude that I'll stay busy with all the opportunities Maui has to offer. I'm a big kiteboarder, hiker, camper, runner, yogi, swimmer and would love to get into surfing, sailing, scuba diving, etc. On the ranch I would have the opportunity to ride horses frequently as well as interact with lots of farm animals.

Overall I have a positive attitude about this journey and I believe it is the right next step for my life, but the reservations I mentioned above are also part of the picture. Any constructive feedback you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Peace,
Michael
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 06:47 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times
To be brutally honest, the folks in Hana are not going to take kindly to an outsider coming in to manage a project on their turf. I'd make other plans were I you, and whoever owns the project has no clue about Hana, or Maui in general, if they're not trying to hire locally first.

Just sayin

Old 07-05-2015, 08:41 PM

42 posts, read 69,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
To be brutally honest, the folks in Hana are not going to take kindly to an outsider coming in to manage a project on their turf. I'd make other plans were I you, and whoever owns the project has no clue about Hana, or Maui in general, if they're not trying to hire locally first.

Just sayin

Truth

I grew up on Maui and even though I'm Haole, I'm considered local, married a local girl, niece is part Hawaiian....and I would not move to Hana.

Not saying it's hostile. The families that live in Hana are incredible and loving.....BUT....they love you even more if you come visit and then leave.

Being 28 and single, you will regret the move within a week.....unless you live outside of Hana and make the daily drive. Very possible and I know several people who do that.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:09 PM

140 posts, read 188,893 times
You guys sure do make strong pronouncements based on a small amount of information. Maybe this is a "haole" that is doing the hiring and maybe a bunch of other "haoles" also work for him? The construction industry is a tough industry and a lot of project managers are not welcomed onto projects, no matter where it is, dealing with that is part of the profession, within reason of course.

I'm not saying your points don't have validity, and you clearly know the area better than I do, I just get a kick out of the way you're giving someone advice on what to do with their life with complete certainty, based on so little info. I'd think he'd want to ask questions about your points:
  • "Why are you bringing in a project manager from the mainland?"
  • "Have you done this before (brought in an outside PM)?"
  • "Are your crews going to respond well to having a project manager from the mainland?"
  • Etc.

By asking these questions he might be able to better gauge how concerned he should be about those issues.

As far as Hana goes, I'm aware of some Haole's that have lived there, and some that still do, so I guess it must work out for some. I believe one was named Charles Lindbergh .

Last edited by Green_Mountain; 07-05-2015 at 11:23 PM..

Old 07-06-2015, 01:07 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,015,863 times
the op can always think of his time in hana as a "tour of duty" something as he said to look good on his resume. I can't imagine, even being bored and lonesome, hana would be a bad place to spend a few years, as long as you took advantage of what it does have to offer. as the others have said you may not be greeted warmly by some, but you will be welcomed warmly by others. you may or may not find good friends and a romantic life but being involved with all you mentioned will help you to find friends. you will be able to tell if it is something you want to do on your visit. the trip to hana itself will be telling as will looking around the area. make sure the project, your offer is truly secure and make sure you can find a place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui