Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2015, 07:59 PM

71 posts, read 163,200 times

Advertisements

I've been working with Hawaiian Moving for the past 2 weeks, trying to decide whether to ship or sell everything and how much it will cost. I've been on Yelp, per Hawaiian Moving's recommendation (apparently, there are a bunch of 5-star reviews pushed to the ad page) and am finding a bunch of bad, confusing and less than stellar reviews.

The reason why I'm not running away screaming from Hawaiian Moving is because they are the only ones that have quoted me a cubic foot quote vs. a weight quote. Having a bunch of furniture, I'd much rather pay by the cubic foot. But I'm a little freaked out to use them based on some reviews.

Does anyone have input as to what moving company to use to move an entire household? Anyone wish they'd just sold everything instead? Was anyone else quoted by cubit foot vs. weight?

If I weren't running out of time, I'd probably try to sell everything, but I really don't think I have time now.

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 09:04 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Personally I'd bring everything you can - anything extra can easily be sold in Hawaii. Pretty much everything on the mainland is cheaper and less expensive.

I used Royal Hawaiian. Paid by weight. They were fine.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:03 PM

182 posts, read 356,557 times
I will second the recommendation for Royal Hawaiian. Our move last year went smoothly, nothing was damaged or lost, and all employees from start to finish were a pleasure to work with. There were no hidden fees, changes in the middle of things, etc. We moved from the west coast, and the pack-up, two months storage, goods shipped directly to Kaua'i, and unpacking (as well as empty box and packing material removal) was around $8500 for 4500 pounds. We were prepared for the cost, and it was worth every penny for us. Our 4500 pounds only half-filled a 20-foot container.

After living on Kaua'i nearly 15 months we have been more than satisified with the small amount we brought and haven't needed or wanted more. Our 4500 pounds furnished a 3-bedroom house, we have a fully-equipped kitchen and our kids have all the gadgets and supplies they need/want as well. Our furnishings are simple, but attractive and comfortable. Less really is more here. I am happy not to be spending time taking care of, cleaning, or worrying about stuff. No one here really cares or is impressed with your stuff anyway.

Move what makes you happy. But ask yourself if something is really worth spending $$$ or $$$$ to move.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:40 PM

42 posts, read 69,145 times
I used a Upack relocube.

I fit and entire Barbershop into one cube (Four old barber chairs, cabinets, decor) PLUS personal stuff.

From Indiana straight to Kahului cost $4069.

I had to pack it myself, but it wasn't too hard. I saved $500 by packing it at the ABF terminal. Rented a 10' Uhaul at $19.00

Cubes are 7' wide, 6' deep and 8' tall. The height really allows you to pack it all in.

BTW, I made it to Maui.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
View detailed profiles of: