Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 02:16 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,169,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Putting up a sign like that that totally disrespects tourists and visitors is a very stupid idea for a place where the economy would be dead without tourists. Even if you personally aren't directly effected, such as you're working in a business that doesn't depend on tourists, or you are on the public welfare system, or you are retired and have a high net worth, you should be thinking of Maui and Hawaii as a whole. Why would anyone want to want to intentionally inflict damage on their economy, and cause severe economic pain to thousands of people?

I found the number 61 for the Pali Highway in less than 10 seconds with a Google search. I think if anyone asks you again, even in ten years, you'll remember that road is also called 61.

I found 'highway' 340 in less than 10 seconds with a Google search using Google Maps. When we visited Maui, we were traveling north of Lahaina on 'highway' 30. Quite quickly, the road turned into a very scary 8' foot single lane road with very steep cliff, very dangerous. We drove to a place where we could turn around. If we were driving there in a storm at night, it would be much more dangerous! We knew that the road was very dangerous in both northwest Maui and southeast Maui, but the road degraded very quickly as we were driving. There should have been a warning sign before the road conditions severely worsened. How much would it cost to install a sign and to have a turn around area? Almost nothing. How much would it cost for the county to defend itself against litigation if an accident occurred and they were sued, even if they weren't at fault? Potentially, a lot of money.

I checked out Google Maps again. It looks like there are 14 roads on Maui with numbers. The numbers are 30, 31, 32, 36, 37, 310, 311, 340, 360, 365, 377, 378, 380, and 3,000. What's common about the numbers? All start with the number '3'. There are 2-digit, 3-digit, and one 4-digit number. It shouldn't take long to remember 14 numbers and associate those numbers with names for a person that lives there, unless they are the product of a failing school system, or have a learning disability.
You are the haole that gives all haoles a bad name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 04:46 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,256,469 times
Crossing Hawaii off my list of places to visit now.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:16 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,922,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
I’ve been going over for 40 years now and have never had any issues with getting proper directions from hotel staff. Sure, there’s always a jerk or two but most Hawaiian’s appreciate and understand what tourism brings to the islands.

Haolejohn is one of the few idiots that gets a kick out of giving out bad directions. Most are very accommodating and helpful.

Don’t let this thread discourage you from visiting. This thread is not a very good reflection of Hawaii.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:30 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Oh, you can still visit. But if you ask some of the posters here for directions, be prepared for "Turn mauka onto Kealo'hakehalani'pakinahola'naiwailea'makua Highway, then turn makai when you see the kukui tree" instead of "Turn left onto Highway 30, then turn right in 2 miles."

And unless you enjoy living on the edge, you may want to avoid what we Mainlanders ignorantly refer to as Highway 340.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Ummm....what were you doing on HWY 340 to begin with? That's one of the most dangerous roads in the country. Two-way traffic on a one lane road, about 8 ft wide, no barriers, caught between steep cliff on one side and a 700-ft drop on the other

Oh, sure, NOW you tell me!

Old 01-11-2016, 08:20 AM

959 posts, read 1,215,196 times
I have a friend from Maui who was living in Portland for awhile. When I would see him in Portland, and ask him how to get somewhere, he'd often wave his hand and "say take the road this way". I always got a kick out of it because almost always he was waving his hand in the wrong direction. But he was so used to giving directions that way in Maui that it was just habit and a part of his personality. It clearly was a good faith attempt to give me directions.

On Maui, I would expect people to give you directions in a way they understand and are used to giving. How could anyone expect anything else.

In the town I grew up in, I don't know the names or numbers of any of the streets. But I know how to get almost anywhere. Most the time my directions consist of "head down this road and turn left when you see a school." I think it's only natural.

If you want to get directions your way, every time, just pay a little extra and get the GPS service with your rental car. That's the best way to go.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:52 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,169,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
I’ve been going over for 40 years now and have never had any issues with getting proper directions from hotel staff. Sure, there’s always a jerk or two but most Hawaiian’s appreciate and understand what tourism brings to the islands.

Haolejohn is one of the few idiots that gets a kick out of giving out bad directions. Most are very accommodating and helpful.

Don’t let this thread discourage you from visiting. This thread is not a very good reflection of Hawaii.
That's where you are wrong. I have out good directions until someone insisted that I was wrong or just did their typical: I'm a tourist and I'm the only reason your bills are paid yada yada yada.

I can honestly say I only had to be a butt to about five tourist. Some people just think they are better than people in service professions.

The best time though was when a tourist would tell you that your directions were wrong. And they'd insist that they were wrong. Despite the fact that you are showing them on their map (this was before smart phones) and you telling them flat out I don't know the numbers. We call this road this name.

No one likes a butthole. Those tourist give all tourist a bad name.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:17 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,276,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
You are the haole that gives all haoles a bad name.
The word "haole" should be stricken from the lexicon, just as the "N" word was removed from the lexicon that used to be used to racially slur African Americans. Often times the word "haole" is used as a negative racial slur against Caucasians by people who try to pretend that they are not using it as a racial slur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
If you want to get directions your way, every time, just pay a little extra and get the GPS service with your rental car. That's the best way to go.
Perhaps someone could test the free "Waze" GPS application on their smart cellphone and report back if it works well in Hawaii. The "Waze" application uses GPS technology plus on-line near real time input data from it's large user pool. I've tested "Waze" around my area, and it works great! I've also tested "Waze" in Florida, and it also works great, although "Waze" has a problem in Florida with all the reports about disabled vehicles on the shoulders of the freeways in Florida. There are may be too many people in Florida that seem to be living on or below the edge, so they don't properly maintain their vehicles or simply run out of gas all the time. There are typically about 200 cars and trucks that are disabled on a 3 hour freeway drive in Florida. The disabled vehicle in the shoulder voice announcements cannot be selectively turned off, without turning off all voice warnings, like police ahead or red light camera warnings. I didn't see many disabled cars on the shoulders in Hawaii, so "Waze" might be a good, free GPS solution in Hawaii.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
The best time though was when a tourist would tell you that your directions were wrong. And they'd insist that they were wrong. Despite the fact that you are showing them on their map (this was before smart phones) and you telling them flat out I don't know the numbers. We call this road this name.

Agreed, some tourists are annoying. But if you are holding a job whose duty it is to serve their needs, I would think that a more effective solution would be to learn the numbers (because most tourist maps show numbers instead of names); then when you trace their route for them on their map, you can say "We call this road King Kamehamehamehamehamehameha The Most Mighty And Awesome Highway, but it's shown here on your map as Highway 31."

Old 01-11-2016, 10:46 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
The word "haole" should be stricken from the lexicon, just as the "N" word was removed from the lexicon that used to be used to racially slur African Americans. Often times the word "haole" is used as a negative racial slur against Caucasians by people who try to pretend that they are not using it as a racial slur.
Really? And you are basing this upon how many years living in Hawaii? Given your extensive knowledge of the road system over here, it's only logical that you would also be familiar with the subtle nuances of language and ethnically descriptive 'labels'. I hear 'ha'ole' over here ALL THE TIME. It's rarely used in an offensive manner, and, when it is, it's normally preceded with a more 'descriptive' adjective.

I'm sure you hear that one all the time

How about those Vikings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
View detailed profiles of: