Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2016, 08:45 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,406,302 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, will be visiting Maui next week and wanted suggestions from the locals about good local restaurants preferably mom and pops places. Will be staying in Kaanapali but renting a car so we wouldn't mind driving. Also me and my gf are in to hiking and of course relaxing on a beach, we would like to avoid touristy areas if that's even possible, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, thanks for reading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 11:19 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,300,350 times
I haven't been in years, but I always recommend CJ's Diner right there in Kaanapali.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwoody View Post
I haven't been in years, but I always recommend CJ's Diner right there in Kaanapali.
Thanks I'll check that one out.

Old 07-23-2016, 02:49 AM

337 posts, read 613,243 times
Dunno too many mom and pop places on the west maui side to be honest. Maybe Mamma's ribs and rotisiree in Napili Market. Cool Cat's for burgers. Cj's is pretty good for breakfast/lunch. Kaanapali Shores is decent. Gazeebo is pretty crowded but good breakfast.

Atleast stop by Star Noodle, and Lyoda's bake shop though.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:27 AM

919 posts, read 789,744 times
Well I'm not a local yet But I do know the west side. We've recently discovered Tepanyaki 2 Go which is in Honokawai next to the ABC store (where Ono Tacos used to be). Husband and wife run it and great grilled fish, fried rice etc.
Also love the Fish Market Honokawai just a bit south on the Lower Honopiilani Rd. for fish tacos.

I'm not really a fan but lots of people like Aloha Mixed Plate in Lahaina Better probably would be
Chef Sheldon Simeon's “Tin Roof” in Kahului or Sam Satos in Wailuku

Old 07-25-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchTempo View Post
Dunno too many mom and pop places on the west maui side to be honest. Maybe Mamma's ribs and rotisiree in Napili Market. Cool Cat's for burgers. Cj's is pretty good for breakfast/lunch. Kaanapali Shores is decent. Gazeebo is pretty crowded but good breakfast.

Atleast stop by Star Noodle, and Lyoda's bake shop though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauialoha View Post
Well I'm not a local yet But I do know the west side. We've recently discovered Tepanyaki 2 Go which is in Honokawai next to the ABC store (where Ono Tacos used to be). Husband and wife run it and great grilled fish, fried rice etc.
Also love the Fish Market Honokawai just a bit south on the Lower Honopiilani Rd. for fish tacos.

I'm not really a fan but lots of people like Aloha Mixed Plate in Lahaina Better probably would be
Chef Sheldon Simeon's “Tin Roof” in Kahului or Sam Satos in Wailuku
Thanks guys I'll definitely try out some of these places, we especially love fish, so great suggestions, thanks again.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:22 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,767,560 times
If you wanna eat like a local go find a food wagon selling huli huli chicken or smoke pork (not a typo - the wagon near me spells it "smoke pork"). Go find some poke if you like fish. Even Safeway sells poke.

Hikes - lots of trails up in Haleakala park, either near the summit or over in Kipahulu. The Pali cliffs trail is on the west side, so closer to you. It is hot so get an early start and bring water.

I think the best fish tacos are in the Paia Fish Market.

Old 07-28-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
If you wanna eat like a local go find a food wagon selling huli huli chicken or smoke pork (not a typo - the wagon near me spells it "smoke pork"). Go find some poke if you like fish. Even Safeway sells poke.

Hikes - lots of trails up in Haleakala park, either near the summit or over in Kipahulu. The Pali cliffs trail is on the west side, so closer to you. It is hot so get an early start and bring water.

I think the best fish tacos are in the Paia Fish Market.
Thanks a lot I'll definitely hit up those trails, I also heard the sunrise is spectacular in Maui.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:40 AM

Had a great time in Maui, want to thank everyone who responded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui