Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 03:16 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,574,591 times

Advertisements

Did my only Molokini trip at least 20 years ago, maybe longer. Even back then, it was a tourist trap: no fish, lots of boats, and hundreds of out-of-shape noobs in the water. Fins in the face, people yelling like children, and saw people dropping/losing garbage and plastics. Very depressing. Saw like two fish and a baby white-tip. Never again, I told myself after two seconds in the water.

Recently returned for another Maui trip, probably my seventh visit. Spent some time at the Kihei Road beaches, couple days at Makena (it was flat). And I saw very few boats out at Molokini, even in the morning. Failed to see lots of boats coming and going from Molokini. Saw lots more headed out to some of the ocean spots and Lanai.

So, what's going on. Are my few days' observations wrong, and Molokini still being visited by hordes of haole every day? Has the word really gotten around it's a wasted trip because the place has been overrun? Are the last few bits of Molokini wildlife and coral now truly wiped out because of all the visitors and suntan lotion killing everything in the area? Are there government restrictions on the number of daily visits, just like they started doing with Haleakala?

(Relatedly, this visitor can see the toll tourism is taking. It's been a few years since I've been back, but I've never seen traffic so bad, never experienced these huge standstills before. Hanakaoo was filled with trash, including red plastic cups, white plastic bottle caps, and worst of all, I saw several "sanitary napkins" floating in the water -- beyond disgusting. What is wrong with you people? I was really dismayed. I picked up the cups and caps and threw them away, but I'm not touching those disgusting used feminine napkins. Anway, got me thinking, should I come back? I'm haole and a tourist, and just being there, using suntan lotion, isn't helping the environment at all. I felt so bad for the sea turtles having to swim in this crap. It really, really bothered me; I got out of the water, slung the mask on my shoulder, and just stared at the water, knowing huge amounts of garbage must be pumping into the beaches.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 03:28 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,569,617 times
I just got off the water, paddled from Kama'ole 1 down to Wailea. Boats to Molokini are more than ever, sometimes I wonder who they put the Kihei Boat Launch in for. As far as the beaches, they are far cleaner now than they were 20 years ago. But yes, too many people, too small a place. If Maui had any sense, they would try and put a cap on the number of people who can visit this Island at a time. Won't ever happen.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:54 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,574,591 times
Interesting. I wonder why I didn't see them at the crater. I wasn't out at daybreak, so if they are out there at 7:00 a.m., that may explain it. Did see lots of boats at the other attractions though.

Old 04-19-2017, 05:35 PM

959 posts, read 1,214,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
If Maui had any sense, they would try and put a cap on the number of people who can visit this Island at a time. Won't ever happen.
Agreed. Would love to see this happen on Maui. On Oahu also. Just don't see how it could be actually done. I guess by limiting the number of inbound flights. But I like the general concept.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:16 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
If Maui had any sense, they would try and put a cap on the number of people who can visit this Island at a time.
You can't legally stop people from visiting the island.

However, there are some simple things that could happen quickly to curtail visitor arrivals.

There are far more visitors/tourists than available hotel rooms.

So,

1) You can immediately ban and ENFORCE with massive fines all airbnb, VRBO, or any type of vacation rental - that is the fastest way to dent the arrivals.

2) Simply price tourists out of paradise except for the wealthy - massive taxes on all things tourism. Hotel taxes, Airlines taxes, car taxes, etc....

Of course, when people start losing their jobs from the drop in tourism, you have a different problem on your hand.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:15 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,557,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
You can't legally stop people from visiting the island.

However, there are some simple things that could happen quickly to curtail visitor arrivals.

There are far more visitors/tourists than available hotel rooms.

So,

1) You can immediately ban and ENFORCE with massive fines all airbnb, VRBO, or any type of vacation rental - that is the fastest way to dent the arrivals.

2) Simply price tourists out of paradise except for the wealthy - massive taxes on all things tourism. Hotel taxes, Airlines taxes, car taxes, etc....

Of course, when people start losing their jobs from the drop in tourism, you have a different problem on your hand.
Exactly. Short term vacation rental enforcement is the way to go. I've personally reported and shut down several AirBnB rentals, Craigslist rentals

Now, they can be reported online.

Request for Service - Disclaimer | Maui County, HI - Official Website

Include the address, links to the online ads and the legal reference (enter in the Memo text section):

Attention: NA01ADMIN PD-ADMIN JRAPACZ NB02B&B PD-ZONING-ENFMNT-
Internet Advertising sites; constituting "prima facie" evidence that a short-term rental business is operating:
AirB&B, GOOGLE, FACEBOOK,Craigslist,

Old 04-20-2017, 11:19 AM

70 posts, read 98,605 times
I believe Junjohann was talking about limiting the number of visitors to Molokini, not Maui as a whole. Seems like something that could be done. I know there are places on land on Oahu and Kauai that require permits to hike or camp.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:07 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,569,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongAndLow View Post
I believe Junjohann was talking about limiting the number of visitors to Molokini, not Maui as a whole. Seems like something that could be done. I know there are places on land on Oahu and Kauai that require permits to hike or camp.
Actually, I was thinking Maui as a whole. I've lived here for decades, Maui's demise will be it's desirability. When the boat launch in Kihei was built back in the 80's, the idea was that it would replace the very dated, and somewhat dangerous, boat launch at Charley Youngs, for the local boat owners and fishermen with small boats who didn't want to launch out of Maalaea. All was fine when it first opened. Then outside interests, and some local, (Maui Dive Shop), started launching tour boats out to Molokini from the new launch. Same reason as the local fishermen had, closer for some than Maalaea. Now it's like Grand Central Station starting at 600a in the morning. Every morning. One boat, the Scuba Shack, gets just outside what's left of the steel pillars marking the entrance, then floors it, does some sharp turns, and keeps it floored almost all the way to Molokini. He's got a modified exhaust on his boat, and you can hear this assh*ole all the way out to Molokini if it's blowing konas.

Just disgusting, and Maui almost encourages it, for their 4% tax. They just eliminated the 'no sale' on liquor after 11p, so, any drunken idiot can stumble into Safeway at 230 in the morning, but some more booze to keep the party going all night. I see the end result down at Kamaole 1 before sunrise.

Rant pau.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:27 PM

70 posts, read 98,605 times
Quote:
Actually, I was thinking Maui as a whole.
Oh, yeah, can't do that then.

Old 04-22-2017, 10:07 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times
The mayor has allocated money to lengthen the runway at Kahului airport. Reason is to be able to land larger planes, i.e., to bring in more people. I think it's a bad idea. It is being challenged but the mayor is saying the work is necessary for safety reasons, that the runway needs more margin for error by being longer. But then they will land larger planes which need more runway and there goes the margin of error.

Make some noise about it. Complain to your council rep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui