Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 08:18 AM

26 posts, read 134,568 times

Advertisements

Two words "Blue Marlin". It's in Maalaea near the Maui Ocean Center, everything I've tried there I've liked. My favorite, and I highly recommend it is the Ono fish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 08:19 AM

26 posts, read 134,568 times
Best fish:

1. Ono
2. Ahi
3. Mahi-Mahi
4. Opaka-paka
5. Swordfish

Old 07-16-2008, 10:18 AM

210 posts, read 972,144 times
guys, we are moving to Maui.
Are there any mideterranian places? we mostly eat turkish and greek. i was wondering if it is possible to find mediterranian on Maui

Old 07-16-2008, 10:50 AM

156 posts, read 805,818 times
Paia Fish Market - not really restaurant, more like fast food, but food is very good (mmmmmm.... fresh mahi-mahi), prices low and if you are surfer - MUST GO!

Old 07-16-2008, 01:05 PM

820 posts, read 3,035,415 times
OK, I think this is kind of funny.

I mean no disrespect, but do you really think that locals haven't heard of this book or that many haven't read it? If a local doesn't know about a spot in the book, it is probably because THAT person isn't interested in going there - too full of visitors with that book in hand! Locals have their own spots that are not in the book, or where visitors are not inclined to go. As soon as a spot gets published in that book's updates, many of the locals stop going.

Also the truth is that many of us who live here don't spend our weeks touring Maui. We work, take care of the kids and yard, go grocery shopping... all those other things that you do when you are at home. So we go to our same beach where our friends go, instead of driving for 2 hours to a remote spot that suddenly is full of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingcali View Post
My favorites are Mama's Fish House in Paia and the taco truck near Makena Beach, past the Maui Prince hotel. Maui Revealed is a great book on touring Maui--lots of insider tips that even many locals don't know about.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:55 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,896,707 times
Thank you, Calico Salsa! And that book has a kind of snarky attitude in places that -- I guess -- could be read as "funny" or "insider," but in some cases is just unfair. (And I know how subjective "fair" is.) Maybe better said, the book lacks aloha.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:10 PM

820 posts, read 3,035,415 times
Here's another tip -

The Maui Arts & Cultural Center (MACC) in Kahului, has wonderful music, art, and movie programs. Check out their calendar to see if there is anything of interest during your visit. Often the event will have food booths, and having a tasty meal outside while listening to an ukulele festival just can't be beat by any chain restaurant!

Maui Arts & Cultural Center

Right now is the Candlelight Maui Film Festival - Wednesday night movies for $12. Early showings at 5:00pm, second at 7:30. No eating in the theatre, but a local restaurant will have a dinner plate at the stand outside. You get there early, eat dinner while listening to music (DJ or live) outside, then go in to see the show. Or eat dinner after if you come to the early show.

Maui Film Festival - CandleLight Cafe & Cinema - Maui Movies this Month

Old 07-17-2008, 04:46 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,052,247 times
Rumor has it that HOUSTON's will soon be opening it's doors to Maui in the winter. Let's see !

Old 07-18-2008, 06:55 AM

66 posts, read 233,331 times
Aloha Mixed Plate in Lahaina is great and cheap for Maui, try a Maui Zowie pizza from Round Table Pizza at the Piilani Shopping Center in Kihei, also Stella Blues in Kihei has some of the best ribs that I have ever eaten. These are my favorite places to eat on Maui.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui