Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 03:49 PM

22 posts, read 31,048 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering a move to Maui from California. We've been researching various locations including Maui for a while; currently Maui is at the top of our list though we're considering a few other locations. I would love to hear from those who have moved to Maui then moved back to the mainland, and why Maui did not work out for you. I've read about cost of living, missing family, island fever, medical care, and education as some reasons why people return to the mainland. We will be retired with two elementary aged children if and when we move. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2020, 06:41 PM

139 posts, read 180,473 times
Aloha!

I can't speak for others, obviously, but you touched on some of the topics that SOME people can't come to terms with.

There is no way to determine if you will be happy with your decision to move here. However, everything you listed should be taken in to account and scrutinized. It is not California, or the mainland, in general. It is an isolated island of primarily Polynesian and Asian influence and history, 2500 miles from the nearest continent.

There is definitely a huge difference between visiting, and living here. Especially if you have always stayed at resorts.

My wife and I moved here because we fell in love with the place itself.

We didn't come here to "escape" a life that wasn't "good".

We didn't move here with the hopes of finding "like-minded" people.

We didn't move here out of frustration for the pace and "tone" of the mainland.

We are not retired, continue to work, and have to be mindful of what we "splurge" on.

We don't have medical issues.

We don't have large families that are close, and that we miss.

We moved here because we fell in love with place itself.

We are still here, we love Maui, and our lives. With that being said, we have seen people come and go. Most of the reasons can be traced back to the primary issues you listed.

Much Aloha!

Old 02-16-2020, 08:29 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliver13 View Post
We will be retired with two elementary aged children if and when we move.
That right there makes it a terrible idea. Wait until they are in college.

Old 02-16-2020, 09:49 PM

Thank you for your responses, Plantastic and whtviper1.

Plantastic, thank you so much for describing the factors that made the move work out well for you and your wife. I do understand that visiting and living in a place are two different experiences, but admit I know nothing about the latter in Maui. If we decide the move is feasible, we would do a trial period during the summer to test out living there before making any commitments.

Whtviper1, I would be interested in hearing more about your opinion that it is a terrible idea to raise children on Maui. (Would be interested in hearing other opinions on this issue as well.) I understand that the general sentiment is that schools are not great. We were thinking of a combination of a higher rated elementary school with private middle and high school. I am involved with my children's education and will continue to be involved no matter where we go.

I have read as much as I can find online (including in this forum) about schools in Maui and would be thankful to hear more about personal experiences with schools and raising children on the island.

Thank you again.

Last edited by Caliver13; 02-16-2020 at 09:57 PM..

Old 02-16-2020, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliver13 View Post

Whtviper1, I would be interested in hearing more about your opinion that it is a terrible idea to raise children on Maui. (Would be interested in hearing other opinions on this issue as well.) I understand that the general sentiment is that schools are not great. We were thinking of a combination of a higher rated elementary school with private middle and high school. I am involved with my children's education and will continue to be involved no matter where we go.
I just can't think of a single upside taking elementary or high school kids to move them to Hawaii even if they go to private school (and I don't recall seeing any Maui National Merit Semifinalists in several years). There are of course work situations, like military families or transfers for Executive hospitality workers, that make a move like that necessary - but if it is not necessary, my opinion it is a fairly selfish move, since the kids have no say in the manner.

Your life experiences are vastly limited on a small island in some of the most important years of your life.

Old 02-17-2020, 12:59 PM

80 posts, read 88,481 times
I would add racial tensions to that list. White folks are a minority in Hawaii, though Maui is probably the whitest island. Being a minority and everything that comes with it in Hawaii doesn't sit well with some. Not sure if it forces people to move but certainly can be an issue. I wouldn't underestimate island fever. Even local kids leave because of it. Living is different than visiting. It's not a perpetual vacation and eventually the shine and excitement wears off.

Old 02-17-2020, 02:12 PM

139 posts, read 180,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxg67 View Post
I would add racial tensions to that list. White folks are a minority in Hawaii, though Maui is probably the whitest island. Being a minority and everything that comes with it in Hawaii doesn't sit well with some. Not sure if it forces people to move but certainly can be an issue. I wouldn't underestimate island fever. Even local kids leave because of it. Living is different than visiting. It's not a perpetual vacation and eventually the shine and excitement wears off.
I speculate that this dynamic plays a large part in the frustrations that a lot of mainlanders experience when they move here.

I'm not sure about the "island fever" thing, because I don't experience it. I know there are still many parts and places on Maui to see, that would leave me with awe. However, I will wait till I am invited to those places; not just go "where I shouldn't be".

Old 02-17-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxg67 View Post
White folks are a minority in Hawaii, though Maui is probably the whitest island.
The Big Island is the "whitest" island. Oahu the least "white"

Old 02-17-2020, 08:40 PM

Thank you for the additional insights and responses.

Old 02-18-2020, 06:06 PM

6 posts, read 9,103 times
I moved to Maui from the mainland solo and made the decision to move back. My life and situation is probably different than yours, but I’ll put my two cents. The negative outweighs the positive for me.

Maui is pretty and tropical. The beauty is astounding. That is about the only positive. Plus the culture can be interesting.

I found the island to lack events, culture (Art, museums, diversity), stores, variety of resources, and to be way too small. My first year was hard. Finding a rental as a newcomer with a pet is near impossible. The studio I lived in was outdated, small, and bug ridden. The rentals lack air, so it’s uncomfortably hot.
Like beyond hot.

I found people to be unfriendly for the most part. It was difficult to make friends. People move off frequently. Everyone seems to have drama.

The people aren’t that bright. There are people like that all over, but college is not a locals dream.

Dating is awful, but you are married so maybe that won’t affect you. It seems marriages die on Maui with the amount of cheating.

People don’t speak proper English.

Drugs and drinking.

Google Maui police .... they are corrupt

I worked there and found a job easily for the state. However, I was treated rudely by coworkers. Not everyone, but a majority. I have asked others and the angry Maui manager is in all areas of work. I was worked a lot and very stressed out. Again maybe that won’t be a factor for you.

I didn’t find income or expenses to be the issue I left. My studio included utilities for 900 a month. Food and gas at Costco are the same as the mainland, as well as clothes. On occasion I’d get drinks at a fancy hotel, but they weren’t that outrageous.

Why it wasn’t for me

1- job advancement was non existent

2- horrible housing and you can hear everything, noise level is ridiculous, constant domestic violence

3- racism

4- boredom

5- felt like I was going insane

6- isolation

7- rude people

8- lack of dating prospects

9- lack of stores

10- I like to dress up and keep a nice appearance

11- gossip and smallness, you can’t go anywhere without seeing a person you know

12- crazy people and homeless, eccentric people all over

If you move to Maui bring a car as buying one there is a nightmare. Try to get involved in activities. Maybe do a trial run. I don’t think the schools are bad at the elementary level, but they get worse in high school. If you can afford Seabury have them go there.

I’d just maybe rent a condo during your kids summer break for two months a year versus moving there.

The amount of money and years of my life I lost living there I can’t get back. It was an experience, I’m just glad I’m no longer there.

I liked my doctor at Kaiser so no issues there. My dentist at smile suite was great as well. A few positives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui