Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2008, 01:31 PM

2 posts, read 5,292 times

Advertisements

We have been planning this family vacation for several years, and we are now only several weeks away. Cannot wait to get to Paradise.
I have been doing lots of more specific searches recently as well as keeping up with many of the posts of this site (thanks to many of you for great information btw). Some questions that I would still love to get answers from locals are:
1 - Farmers market in Maui- good ones? We are in Lahaina renting a house so closer to there is better, but will make the drive to get fresh, non grocery store. There are 8 family members so we want to stock up for the entire time we are there to enjoy. Also fish market - we plan to eat in quite a bit since there are so many of us, but want to enjoy all the island has to offer.
2 - Other than the Sugar Train, aquarium, and beach, what are other good idea's for a 2.5 yr old? We love all outdoor activities, but have found that many of them will require my son to be older to participate. He cannot ride a bike or do rough hikes, but he enjoys the outdoors. Maybe a suggestion of some easy or paved hikes that are still in areas he can enjoy a waterfall or the luscious forestry?
3 - Hana - we cannot seem to get a good answer from anyplace...can you drive all the way around in a rental car? Is the road paved past Hana or do you have to come back the way you came in?
Any other information you would like to offer is appreciated. If you know of a previous thread I may have missed, feel free to let me know the link. I did do some searches for some of the info but may have missed a few things along the way.
BTW....thanks to the person who posted about the driving in Maui. I printed your post to give to all my family members as a reminder they are no longer in the city and can relax a bit :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 01:46 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,895,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgfamily View Post
1 - Farmers market in Maui- good ones? We are in Lahaina renting a house so closer to there is better, but will make the drive to get fresh, non grocery store. There are 8 family members so we want to stock up for the entire time we are there to enjoy. Also fish market - we plan to eat in quite a bit since there are so many of us, but want to enjoy all the island has to offer.
2 - Other than the Sugar Train, aquarium, and beach, what are other good idea's for a 2.5 yr old? We love all outdoor activities, but have found that many of them will require my son to be older to participate. He cannot ride a bike or do rough hikes, but he enjoys the outdoors. Maybe a suggestion of some easy or paved hikes that are still in areas he can enjoy a waterfall or the luscious forestry?
3 - Hana - we cannot seem to get a good answer from anyplace...can you drive all the way around in a rental car? Is the road paved past Hana or do you have to come back the way you came in?
1. Far and away the best farmer's market is the Saturday morning Swap Meet in Kahului on Puunene Ave, 7AM-1PM. And don't go late -- the best produce goes early. There are local markets MWF in Honokowai (on Lower Honoapiilani Hwy, just north of Kaanapali), and in Kihei (but that's quite a drive). There is also a new "gourmet" grocery in Lahaina at the Gateway Center call Lahaina Farms that sells some local produce and has good prepared foods.
2. Kapalua Resort closed the Village golf course last year and has converted it into hiking paths (old golf cart paths), ziplines, etc. Many of the activities are free (including hiking), and there's a great cafe/coffee shop at the activity center.
3. The "back road" from Hana is still closed from the earthquake damage a couple of years ago. It's supposed to re-open later this fall.

Last edited by whynot?; 08-26-2008 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 08-26-2008, 02:14 PM

2 posts, read 5,292 times
Thanks so much whynot!!!! I will google directions from our rental to the swap meet and get there early.

I'll definalty look into the Kapalua Resort.

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui