Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 11:41 AM

3 posts, read 3,486 times

Advertisements

I just spoke with Pacific Air Cargo which was mentioned eariler, and they offer transport from LA to Honolulu in an area behind the cockpit the pilots use to strech out. They strap your kennel in that area, which is MUCH better than having them in a dark, loud, non-climate controlled cargo hold of a passenger plane. The pricing actually blew me away, as in it becomes reasonable to transport my dog to the islands.

The guy I spoke with was very helpful, and mentioned that if you are going to one of the other islands, that I should contact Pacific Pet Transport, as they use Pacific Air Cargo to transport from LAX to HNL, then arrange quality transport to other islands.

This wouldn't be as comfortable (for him)as flying next to my chocolate lab on a plane, however would be about 1/10th the cost at least, yet still not as terrifying as flying cargo on a commercial airliner. I did that once from SF to Reno years ago with a tough lab mix I had, and he was freaked out on that short flight. This lab is a whimp and would become a statistic. But he's the family whimp, so we have to figure this out without freaking dad out financially!! Think I may have found it.

Just sent them an estimate request and am looking forward to hearing their solution and pricing for getting from HNL to Kahului.

Last edited by NorthernCAForNow; 02-14-2013 at 11:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 01:30 PM

3 posts, read 3,486 times
"1/10th the cost" of a Charter I meant to say

Old 02-22-2013, 09:49 AM

14 posts, read 24,491 times
The Queen Mary allows pets , not only service dogs.
Our one dog is too big to fly in cargo, hence looking for an alternate way.
The rabies quarrentine is less nowadays and can be as little as 20 minutes- quick release it is called.
Thanks for all your thoughts.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:15 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,274,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettster View Post
The Queen Mary operates in the Atlantic Ocean, does not come to Hawai'i.

Quote:
Charter may be your only option, although I've heard of people sending horses by air cargo, so?.

Quote:
The rabies quarrentine is less nowadays and can be as little as 20 minutes- quick release it is called.
But that is only if you have complied with every single item on the state checklist, including having two documented rabies shots, having a current (unexpired) shot at least 90 days old, testing rabies free (this is one that trips a lot of people up... the sample for the OIE-FAVN Rabies Blood Test must be received at least 120 days before arrival), being microchipped, microchip must be readable, documented anti-tick treament, etc. It's complicated, with a lot of details, and needs to be done meticulously in order to qualify for quick release. Think of it as still being 120 day quarantine, but under house arrest rather than being in prison.

There are several recent threads here on the subject, and the official state manual is available online at: http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/ai/files/2013/01/aqsbrochure.pdf

Last edited by OpenD; 02-22-2013 at 12:27 PM..

Old 02-22-2013, 04:11 PM

32,497 posts, read 47,468,261 times
Quote:
T.
There is no such thing as a dog too big to fly in cargo. I shipped 2 full grown Scottish Deerhounds from London to Seattle. One dog was 32 inches tall at the shoulder and had to travel in a custom made crate because all the commercial crates were much too small for him. Several airlines were called for quotes and nobody had a problem with the size of the crate.

You can ship a race horse or a 20 hand tall, 2 ton, draft horse on an airplane. There is no size issue with a dog.

Coming back to add: many airlines have a size limit for dogs to fly as accompanied baggage. That is not the same as shipping them cargo.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:22 AM

20 posts, read 27,778 times
I have just posted a call for arranging a chartered flight to Maui for our dogs in Monterey CA thread. I got the idea from someone who did it -- and posted here by the name of JollyDogs in 2009. She actually pulled it off, but it is far more affordable to go with a commercial airlines. I've been researching this subject for a few years. I have two beautiful healthy labs 6 years old and want to find the best way to fly them over to Maui. Alaska Airlines has the most impressive record. The Alaska Air folks are so helpful and friendly. They will answer every question and help you and they gave me a sense of assurance and security. For me, however, there's a problem of having to send one dog at a time. They will only take one dog in baggage to Hawaii, but that way you lock in a secure day and can be on the same flight. I could put them together in Cargo, but then it's unpredictable on whether they can put them on the same flight as mine and locking in a definite flight time -- they give you only 30 days in advance to make the reservation, whereas, you can make the reservation for the one dog in baggage a year in advance and lock it in so there are no changes. The reason I was looking for a chartered flight is -- this seems to be a pain in the neck. My husband will have to go on one flight the day before and I'll have to go on another the next day. I wish I could call up Bill Gates and ask him to fly my dogs over! ha! Every dog lover should know at least one millionaire or billionaire for dog travel.

Anyways...I posted my call for a chartered flight May 2014 in CA thread...maybe that was the wrong place to post it...

Old 03-02-2013, 12:52 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,731,045 times
I recently went through this with our 10 year old lab. At first I was going to fly Hawaiian because that is who I typically use. They always put the pooch in cargo - they do not have an option like Alaska does for luggage. So it costs more. But they told me I can reserve the cargo space well in advance. So if you are willing to spend $750 per dog, you can put them both on a Hawaiian flight, with you, and reserve in advance. Of course for that amount, it would be cheaper to fly to Maui on Alaska with one pooch, fly back to CA, and return to Maui on another Alaska flight with the other dog!

BTW - our lab, who is a pretty wimpy dog, came through it just fine. We did not give her any tranquilizers and she showed no signs of being traumatized or any other effects from the flight.

Good luck!

Old 03-04-2013, 09:52 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,384,415 times
Default hmmm...

Quote:
Thanks for all your thoughts.
You really need to be sure on your facts. Rabies Quarantine is very tight. Best read up and know the facts.
Saw a woman (supposedly disabled) at the Honolulu quarantine after her flight...it seems her 'service dog', a big beautiful Poodle, hadn't been designated for any particular 'Service' by her veterinarian...she was looking at 120 days quarantine until they got the proper paperwork from the Vet. She tried to pull a quick one and got caught. They don't mess around with it. She was totally freaking out and the AG Attendant simply looked at her and said, 'you should have paid attention to the details'.
Koale

Old 03-04-2013, 10:47 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,036,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
You really need to be sure on your facts. Rabies Quarantine is very tight. Best read up and know the facts.
Saw a woman (supposedly disabled) at the Honolulu quarantine after her flight...it seems her 'service dog', a big beautiful Poodle, hadn't been designated for any particular 'Service' by her veterinarian...she was looking at 120 days quarantine until they got the proper paperwork from the Vet. She tried to pull a quick one and got caught. They don't mess around with it. She was totally freaking out and the AG Attendant simply looked at her and said, 'you should have paid attention to the details'.
Koale
The veterinarian is not the one who certifies that the dog is a service animal. That would be the woman's physician or psychologist (the latter if she wants the dog to be an ESA, Emotional Support Animal).

Old 03-04-2013, 11:15 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,274,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDiver View Post
The veterinarian is not the one who certifies that the dog is a service animal. That would be the woman's physician or psychologist (the latter if she wants the dog to be an ESA, Emotional Support Animal).
Emotional Support Dogs do not qualify any longer for the Service Animal Exemptions, and for that matter cannot legally be taken into any establishment that serves food, per FDA regulations.

Because there had been so many abuses of the earlier policies, the US Department of Justice regulations concerning service animals were changed as of March 15, 2011. Here's the bulletin: Revised ADA Requirements: Service Animals

The summary is, the dog has to be required by a disability, and has to be trained to perform specific work or tasks in support of that disability. As this article details, it's OK to ask if the dog is required by a disability, and if so, what work or tasks it is trained to perform, but it is not OK to ask what the disability is. Rules clarify 'service animal' definition but lack legal impact - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui