Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Maui: electrical trade profession, research area, rent a furnished place, relocation costs, license

Old 09-20-2008, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,623 times

Advertisements

Hello (Aloha) Everyone,

I have heard from a reliable source that there is some work in Maui in my electrical trade profession until spring of '09. I presently reside in southeastern PA. And I would like to take on a job in another state/island as such as Hawaii. Presently we have just sold our house and have no ties to this area that would hold us down. I would have to bring my family with me my two girls (10 & 2) and my wife. We are in no way trying to live FULL time in the islands. My one child would have to attend school down there and my wife would try to find a job in her medical profession (research area).

What I like to ask is do you think it would be a wise decision and ( just for 6-8 months) worth it with all the high expensenses I read about to take on this venture?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! FYI: I did approach my family about this decision and they like the idea. Though I would like to hear someone from that area to better my thought process!! Thank You once again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 10:45 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,573,774 times
My suggestion would be to put everything you own in storage and rent a furnished place. Way too expensive to move everything over for just 6-8 months. Regarding work -- if you need to be licensed in Maui you should give yourself about 6 months to get that all taken care of before you move. I have a friend who just went through the process on the Big Island; he was a contractor in Colorado. It took at least six months to schedule the testing, get his insurance, etc. And a lot of work trade work in Hawaii is union only.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:08 PM

820 posts, read 3,023,336 times
Hello IBEWDr.Vtec,

If you are looking to do this as a life adventure, where you and your family experience a change of venue and lifestyle while continuing to work, then this may be a great idea.

Even with what you outline - both of you working, you should be prepared to NOT come away from this adventure with an overall profit. That is, the cost of temporarily relocating plus the cost of living add up to more than you are likely to recover by working for less than a year. BUT if you are thinking of working here as a way to make the adventure happen, and to lessen the impact of experiencing several months of living in Hawaii, then you are going to have a blast.

Who knows? You could fall in love with living here and settle in. Your cost of living will adjust itself as you are no longer acquiring everything you need to live, and you will find the right activities and lifestyle to suit your taste and income.

I've read about families that buy a boat, go off sailing for a year, then sell the boat and return 'home'. While you won't have a large asset to sell to recoup some of your relocation costs, you could still have that very same type of experience - living somewhere very different from where you are now, working together on the adventure as a family, learning a lot of new things, and meeting many new people.

The fact that you speak of this as seeking an adventure here, and not running from a problem 'there' gives you a tremendous positive attitude advantage.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:17 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,862,202 times
For six to eight months, you could just work at the corner gas station to alleviate the economic hemorrhage while living in Hawaii. It isn't likely you would find jobs in your career fields for only six to eight months since employers would just barely get you settled in before you'd leave again. Also working a non-career type job would allow you more time to enjoy life since you wouldn't be thinking about your career while off work.

Move over with just suitcases, rent a tiny furnished place, find a job of some type close to where you rent and work just enough to pay the rent. Enjoy and have fun on your days off and get your adventuring done. For less than a year you are basically taking a working vacation, get some sort of vacation job as well. Folks hiring for the upper end jobs generally want folks that are going to stick around after their training is done.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:40 AM

12 posts, read 50,211 times
I live on Maui and jobs are definitely hard to come by. If you have something lined up and your family would like to experience the islands for a short time - go for it! Realize however, that cost of living is hi. What island are you considering? Would be glad to share whatever information that may help. I have lived on Maui for the past 30 years. Alaula
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui