Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 08:00 AM

210 posts, read 971,880 times

Advertisements

MadRussian-they pretty much said that they wont treat me because i got pregnant via in vitro, and they dont know anything about in vitro pregnancy. My doctor in New York is treating me, all he was asking from them was simple blood work to monitor my hormone levels and a sonogram to see if the baby was growing. they refused to do both, and sent me to Oahu, the doctor on Oahu had like a month's wait. So my husband ordered the tests himself, but it took them a few days to come back with results, instead of 30 minutes on the mainland. because they send all blood to either Oahu or mainland, often to mainland, because even basic blood tests are not done on Maui. After the blood came back, it turned out my projecterone levels were too low, and i needed to start projesterone injections immediately. My called the pharmacy-of course they had no projesterone and had to order it from Oahu or Mainland, and of course it took 3 days, so i was on low projesterone for over a week, before i got my shot.
I was planning to go to Russia first, to see my family, but when we found out i was pregnant, my husband suggested i come here, because it is the US, and medical care is better. Boy was he wrong! In my small Siberian city i would get my projesterone tested in one day, and got my shots, we even have an in vitro clinick there. even though it is a small place in the middle of Siberia, compared to Maui hospital-it is the center of world class medicine! and it says a lot. Maui hospital is worse then Russian hospitals, and Russia has a crappy medical system, but even they can do projesterone in one day.
I've read an article in Maui magazine about a doctor who tried to build a new private hospital on Maui, he even got a $200mil investment, but the state and regulations did not allow him to do it. SO he gave up and is moving to Boston. Sad story, they guy was born on Maui
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 09:11 AM

90 posts, read 468,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaHuff View Post
I've read an article in Maui magazine about a doctor who tried to build a new private hospital on Maui, he even got a $200mil investment, but the state and regulations did not allow him to do it. SO he gave up and is moving to Boston. Sad story, they guy was born on Maui
Very interesting. I missed that article. Is this it:
Island Portrait (http://www.nokaoimagazine.com/article.aspx?issue=v.12n.3&article_name=10_most_in triguing - broken link)
(I guess it didn't link to the direct page -- scroll ahead about 2 or 3 pages into the article)

I had no idea about the semi public-private control of the health system there.

There's enough wealth in Maui that you'd think someone would be changing legislation / lobbying to allow something better than this to happen. Amazing with monied people flying in for a significant amount of time each year, and with the wealth that does exist there (alongside the struggling), that the pressure for better care isn't there.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:23 AM

820 posts, read 3,034,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaHuff View Post
He didn't get a $200mil investment, that is what the hospital would have cost. He had a lot of supporters here, but did not have all the money. The final cost would likely have been a lot more - it always costs more to build something than the original proposal. Money is tight here, as is space.

It is very sad that the new hospital effort was not successful. I wish it had come through, and also face the worries of how I'll need to hop on a plane for some medical situations.

Definitely something people should consider. It will stop some, not others.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:59 PM

12 posts, read 50,984 times
I am moving to Maui this December........Two women and two cats, no bills, and starting over. We work in state govt and there are a lot of jobs that pay decent. I will be taking advantage of buying a foreclosure home. We love it there! I will be making less money but like I stated no major bills pending, just food, gas, mortgage, and living off the land. We are looking for to island life. Personally I don't mind the struggle, it motivates and stimulates my soul. I am being extremely optimisitic. Currently I live in the Seattle area and it's expensive here too, but not as. Mahalos

Old 09-23-2008, 03:40 PM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiwahine View Post
I am moving to Maui this December........Two women and two cats, no bills, and starting over. We work in state govt and there are a lot of jobs that pay decent. I will be taking advantage of buying a foreclosure home. We love it there! I will be making less money but like I stated no major bills pending, just food, gas, mortgage, and living off the land. We are looking for to island life. Personally I don't mind the struggle, it motivates and stimulates my soul. I am being extremely optimisitic. Currently I live in the Seattle area and it's expensive here too, but not as. Mahalos
I wish you the best of luck. With your great attitude you can't fail. Let us know how you made out after you moved.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:54 AM

Exuse me-but what do you call Island Life? I've been here for almost 3 weeks, and have been to the beach twice, ones for 30 mintes, second time-1 hour. I work, wake up at 3-4 am to work, after work i have things to do-like cooking, grocery shopping, cleaning, running errands, going to the bank, dmv, social security office, hospital, etc. on the weekend there are things to be done too-and we only have one car, having two cars is way too expensive, so if my husband has to go somewhere, i stay home, and the other way around. the bottom line is-island life is not very different from life on the mainland, you work hard and have a lot to do after work, it is not like you spend your whole time snorkeling and laying on the beach. we personally try to find time, but it seems that we have leff of it then we had in NY, because in NY we did not have to drive 20 minutes to buy bread, and did not have to cook from scratch.
there is aloways something to do, just like on the mainland, even harder, because everything takes longer-you cant shop online, order groceries on line, do money transfers on line. all these things saved us time and money in NY, now we have to drive and spend an hour at the store, an hour at the bank. Not much time left for the beach. When we lived in NY, we've been to the beach more often then here

Old 09-25-2008, 08:57 AM

I barely have time to notice the beautiful mountains, it is just like on the mainland, but more expensive and slower. I met a russian lady in Kihei, and for a week we are planning to meet, but have no time-something more important always comes up. it is busy and difficult life, just like everywhere else

Old 09-25-2008, 09:00 AM

For some reason people think that when they move here, they will be on the beach, kayaking, surfing and enjoying their life. It is just like everywhere else-you work, you have a house to take care of, you have to cook and clean, and go to the store to buy ant poison, fly traps. You want to go to the beach and then you see that the plant on your backyard has some nasty parasites on it. So instead of going to the beach you end up at Lowes looking for the poison and plant treatments, new stuff comes up every day. and you still have to work, hard and long hours. it does not leave much time for surfing, if you ask me.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:39 AM

820 posts, read 3,034,451 times
Hmmm, by contrast:

Yesterday I did my banking online with my Hawaiian banks, BofA, and Well Fargo (the last two are on the mainland), transferring money around just fine. Last week I did go into the bank to make a deposit of client checks, and had a brief chat with the tellers and the desk staff - we all recognize each other and say hello.

Earlier in the week I ordered some things from Amazon, got their free shipping, and expect delivery very soon. While my choices for online shopping have to be carefully considered due to shipping charges, I've found some places that are quite reasonable and either don't add to the listed shipping, or only add a few dollars.

After getting up (as usual) early to work, because my business is with the mainland and I start early to accommodate the time difference, I stopped working about 4:45pm. I changed my clothes, drove down to meet my visiting friends at Wokstar. We got food to go, walked across the street through Kalama Park, and sat on the rocks overlooking the water. We watched the sunset, talked, they snapped pictures. There were a couple of homeless guys dozing in the park, a lot of young men & women at the skate/bike rink, and some people strolling around or walking their dogs. At no time did I feel unsafe, threatened, or worried. When the sun had gone down, we tossed our rubbish in the trash container, our cans in the recycling container, and walked around the park then back across the street for a little shopping by my friends.

Around 8pm we parted company, I stopped at Foodland for some eggs, then I drove home, saw the neighbors outside, and we chatted for 15 minutes. Then I went inside, started laundry, did a little paperwork while watching my recorded TV shows, and read before going to bed.

Earlier in the week, a couple of us drove up the Ocean Center after work to hear Grammy Award winning George Kahumoku, Jr. play and talk story FOR FREE.

Tomorrow, Friday, I'm going to take a hula lesson at the community center at lunch time. Then that evening a group of us are going up to the Iao Theater to see their Spirit of Iao show, for only $15.

On Saturday, I might go see Napua Greig, a renowned female vocalist, sing at the St. John's Kula Festival FOR FREE. Or I might go help with the beach cleanup at Baldwin Park. On Sunday I'll be doing my house & yard chores and planting more veggies.

Life, as Julia noted, is generally the same everywhere, in that you work, do your errands, socialize, and whatever else normally fills your life.

Settling in anywhere takes more time and adjustment, until you get things in order and your new routine is established. What that new routine will be is, in part, up to each of us.

For some, it always seems to be a struggle. But for me, I still marvel at the sunset, especially when visiting friends are here to share it. I love the easy drive down the street, without taxi cabs or tons of traffic or big trucks blocking the street, and only a few buses quietly rumbling by.

I love feeling safer. I love seeing the ocean or the palm trees, or the wide open fields sweeping up the mountain. I love that there are very few buildings stretching up into the sky. I love that the air is warm, and I live in shorts and sleeveless tops and sandals. I don't always brush my hair, but I do wear shoes when I'm out.

I work hard. People who visit here sometimes think that we who live here must spend all our time at the beach. I have to remind them that I work and can't join them during the day. But after work, or the weekends, or if I do take a day off, my days here are spent enjoying what this beautiful island offers. And during my errands, I enjoy the friendliness of the people I encounter and the small town feel.

It's not for everyone, but it sure is for me.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:58 AM

649 posts, read 3,443,615 times
Calico's 'daily life' sounds a lot like ours, except he goes to more shows and cultural events. We have kids, so we spend more time ferrying them around and going to their events (swim meets, school events), or to the beach. We also spend a lot of time at Home Depot, planning and working on house projects, and at the office supply store (setting up my law office).

I also agree about buying things online. Amazon is great. Some other companies might quote a high price, but if you call them you might convince them to use USPS (flat rate or otherwise) and negotiate a lower shipping cost. It worked for us once.

I was starting to get bummed yesterday about not having gone to the beach in a couple of weeks. Then I slapped myself. When you were living in NY (upstate) there were YEARS that you didn't make it to a beach, and months went by without even getting to any of the local recreational spots (gorges for hiking, bike trails). Here, at least, you can have a Hawaiian vacation every few weeks/months, and it doesn't even cost anything! So I snapped out of it. I'll probably get to the beach this weekend, after I finish helping with the bar association road cleanup.

We seem to spend the same, or less, time cooking (not sure why, we're eating similarly except more fruit and less veggies), and less time watching TV. More time visiting, chatting with family, friends (some we've just met), and neighbors. Less time commuting (my commute was 35 minutes each way, now it's 20). More time working on the house (we never could seem to find the time in NY).

I'm beginning to stress a little about work, although I had budgeted several months to get my practice going, and I've only been here 5+ weeks, it SEEMS like it is very slow getting off the ground. But I'm not even in the Yellow Pages yet and I haven't launched my website (soon!), so what can I expect? Miracles? I know I have to be more patient...

Last edited by 7th generation; 09-25-2008 at 03:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui