Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 03:19 AM

5 posts, read 18,253 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've got a ticket booked to go to Maui in the middle of March and haven't decided yet if I want it to be a vacation or relocation. I'm relatively young and have no obligations so it'd be pretty simple to make the move.

My question is how are the tips on Maui for a server? I'm serving at an Outback Steakhouse right now in Anchorage, AK and make $450 to $600 a week, just in tips. I'm guessing since Maui's economy is so tourist driven that the majority of the residents know the hospitality industry and tip fairly decent. Would my tips there be comparable? I know things are slowing down economy-wise, but the restaurants aren't too slow are they?

If there are any servers or anyone who has any advice or guesses how the tips are it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim

P.S. I'd be planning on transferring to the Outback in Kihei
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 06:17 AM

36 posts, read 133,589 times
I wouldn't advise it. There's a pretty big turnover at the Kihei Outback, mostly due to people returning to the mainland because they can't afford the cost of living here. This is a great place to spend money but it's a lousy place to make it if you didn't bring it with you.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:53 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,879,273 times
We have friends who own restaurants in West Maui and friends who work in restaurants all over the island. According to them, the problem is not that tipping has declined per se, but that more people are sharing plates and/or ordering less, lowering the tickets.

For our server and bartender friends, the other problem is getting enough shifts to cover expenses. Several have had their shifts cut in half. With group tourism dwindling, too, their freelance/fill-in gigs are limited.

Most of these guys work at one "base" restaurant, then do catering events and/or another part-time job (e.g., sell food on the golf courses from the beverage cart) to make ends meet in normal circumstances -- so they're really struggling now because occupancy is so low, people (tourists and locals) are spending less, and locals are going out less because everyone's income is way down.

Locals are not seeing this getting better for a good while. I don't want to discourage you from moving, but if you can keep your job where you know what your take will be, you might be better off. I'd advise you to use your trip to size things up before you make the leap.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:59 AM

11,047 posts, read 23,860,003 times
Make sure it is a round trip ticket just in case. It isn't likely you will be able to find enough employment to survive on very well at this time because tourism is so down. Also, don't quit the job you already have since you may want it back.

You could put a few things in boxes in case you find a job on vacation with enough hours to provide you with a living. Then, after you have a job and have found an affordable apartment, then you can have someone send the boxes over. If it doesn't work out, just unpack the boxes.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:06 PM

6 posts, read 30,601 times
I'm just wondering, how much on average are restaurant workers making a week in hawaii? I worked at a few restaurants for two years in Sacramento, CA and I brought home $400-500 a week as a busser. Does anyone here know if there are any available busser jobs out there? I'd rather be a server or bartender, but I wouldn't mind bussing tables again- the pay was good.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:59 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,879,273 times
It's my understanding that most restaurant staff make minimum wage plus tips. And most are "part-time." Since Hawaii state law requires that employers provide health insurance for workers who work 20 hours or more, restaurants tend to fall along two lines: those where you routinely work more than 20 hours and those where -- no matter what you do -- you always seem to only end up with 19 hours.

This is not a matter of "reputable" v. "not reputable" or "good restaurants" v. "bad restaurants" (or employers, for that matter). There is a very large "casual economy" here, it seems, and that involves a lot of edging up to the intent of the law in order to stay in business.

This is our current minimum wage info (from LaborLawCenter.com, a provider of legal information, but not necessarily services or advice, from their "Hawaii Labor Law Quick Facts": The Hawaii state minimum wage is $7.25 per hour ($7.00 for tipped employees), with overtime after 40 hours. However, any employee with a guaranteed minimum salary of $2,000 per month is exempt from the state minimum wage law.

The problem right now is the shortage of customers -- and therefore shifts/hours -- in all positions.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:58 PM

6 posts, read 30,601 times
just wondering one more thing- with the casual attitude in Hawaii, are dreadlocks common? I've had dreads for over a year, and just wondering if they'd get in the way of landing a job. When I work over here I keep them in a hat or tie them back, and over there I'd probably do the same.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:15 PM

thanks for the feedback everyone. not really what i was hoping to hear, but it's definitely good to know. from what im reading, is it pretty unreasonable then to expect 500 a week in tips from just working at the outback?

i didnt realize health insurance was required by employers for over 19 hours a week, i wonder if outback only gives 3 shifts a week then to avoid that.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:38 PM

200 posts, read 1,019,309 times
Default outback

I am actually very good friends with the owner and managers at the Outbacks here on Maui. Both in Kihei and Lahaina. If you decide to stick it out...let me know. I am sure I could line you up an interview with them. I have been working for those guys for years. I do know that the turnover is VERY high at these locations as well as at many restaurants. Income is just too low to keep anyone here but the good news is....there are always more young folks like yourself that step in to fill the gaps.

-Outback is now starting to NOT make name tags anymore because the staff doesnt stay long enough! This is fairly common throughout the islands.

Good luck

Old 02-05-2009, 12:49 AM

thanks for the offer maui08. after reading these posts and some of the other threads i'm pretty sure im going to hold off on the move. i'll be there for a visit in march but i think i'll just stick around for a month to relax and then come back to alaska.

it seems pretty risky moving to maui right now. i read in one post that hotel occupancy is down to 60%, seems things are pretty bleak right now. thanks again for all the feedback. if there are any servers though reading this that are making $2000 a month and up in tips with just one job id love to hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui