Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 09:35 AM

1 posts, read 3,763 times

Advertisements

My friend and I have an idea about moving to Maui in about two years or so. We both have never been to Hawaii and plan to make a visit in about a year to make sure we are serious. I have done extensive research and realize that for two 21 year-olds, living in Maui will be more than difficult. We plan to save as much as possible over the next few years so we have a substantial amount of money for work with when moving. I plan to finish out college and get a degree in real estate before moving so hopefully that will increase my chances of getting a decent job there. I don't think I can afford living on the water, but within 10 to 15 miles or so was what I was looking for. Mostly somewhere in western or northern Maui. I was looking around places in Kahului, Kapala, or Honowowai ( def. looking at Honowowai). I am having trouble finding a decent price range for a two bed apt. rental or one bed apt rental in these areas. If anyone has any info on prices that would greatly be appreciated! I would eventually like to buy a home there but thats definitely years down the road. Also any suggestions about other islands such as Oahu maybe for us newcomers who are trying to get the most affordable prices in Paradise would be great! Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 01:39 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times
I've lived here a few years, wasn't aware of a Kapala on Honowowai. As far as getting into real estate over here in a year or so, and being fresh from the mainland, you may want to rethink that, doubt if you'ld have much success. You'ld be better off going to bartenders school and getting a job in one of the resorts. Decent 2 bedroom condo in Kapalua would set you back a ton of money, Honokowai probably around $2500-$3000 a month. Best of luck

Aloha

Old 02-22-2009, 10:13 PM

15 posts, read 24,431 times
I plan on applying for a position at Maui Memorial.. is $5000 enough to make a decent living there.. single guy planning on just renting a room.. also how is the dating scene and weather?

Old 04-22-2009, 11:17 PM

3 posts, read 6,648 times
April 22nd, I am heading back to Maui after a away time of 12 years. I am planning to live in Kihei. I plan to bring 99% clothes in xerox boxes. Any suggestions as to PODs, UPS, Shipping and Packing Stores to help this process along....I wish I had a person to be doing while I am attending work-a-world. It feels like it totally on myself. I stay on the net hoping to find an easier softer way, hoping to chat with someone who has done all the hard stuff and is ready to tell me the E ZZZZZ way of this relocation. I am bringing a few pots, the birds seem to be the most challenging at this point!!. Any ideas Anyone???

Old 04-23-2009, 05:44 AM

3 posts, read 6,315 times
Hi Dr.

Guess you have very little stuff to bring over and the birds ?could you give me more info on what exaclty you want to ship and accordingly I can advise. ( Origin City and Destination city ) and a description of the birds would help

Sahana

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsimmons View Post
April 22nd, I am heading back to Maui after a away time of 12 years. I am planning to live in Kihei. I plan to bring 99% clothes in xerox boxes. Any suggestions as to PODs, UPS, Shipping and Packing Stores to help this process along....I wish I had a person to be doing while I am attending work-a-world. It feels like it totally on myself. I stay on the net hoping to find an easier softer way, hoping to chat with someone who has done all the hard stuff and is ready to tell me the E ZZZZZ way of this relocation. I am bringing a few pots, the birds seem to be the most challenging at this point!!. Any ideas Anyone???

Old 04-23-2009, 10:49 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,509,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsimmons View Post
If you are mostly bringing clothes, pack it yourself and take to a UPS Store yourself. Do not use a Pack and Ship type place! They charge LARGE $$ for this! Clothes just need a box - but I would put them in a plastic garbage bag inside the box as well, just in case.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:31 AM

1 posts, read 2,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojow View Post
Aloha! My husband has received a terrific job offer in Maui and we are 99% sure we are going. We've visited the Big Island on our honeymoon 5 years ago and came back with the "Want to live in Hawaii" book and a dream. Three more trips later (to every island except Oahu) our dream is coming true. Now we need advice...

I have researched extensively and know the prices are outrageous. We are looking to rent - not buy. We want to live in Kihei since that is where his job will be and some of our favorite beaches. The Kahana are isn't out of the question but the traffic is bad during rush hours to and from Kihei. What should I AVOID in Kihei. Any really shady places?? He will likely go in May and probably take a small 1bd or studio. We are expecting twins in late July or August, and we will join him around September if all goes well. Once we get there, we especially want a safe location for the girls and I.

We are checking out movers for stuff and cars - any recommendations or companies to avoid is welcome, along with any other general advice. We have two cats and are starting the process asap. They pretty much quailify for 5 day or less; we just have to do a few things.

I'll ask other questions in other posts so this isn't too long! Thanks so much!!!
Aloha,
Congratulations on your upcoming "special delivery". My husband and I are planning a move to Kehei in three years. Hawaii, especially Maui, is beautiful. We fell in love with it on our honeymoon. We own a 2 bedroom/2 bath condo in Kehei (which we rent)...pool, hot-tub, double sauna, tennis courts, mini-golf course, plus more... We are in the process of buying a brand new house in Kehei. This will be our residence in 3 years. However, we will be looking to rent it until we move there. It is 3 bedrooms and 2.5 baths. Our closing for the new house is sometime in August. Sounds like we are a match made in heaven.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:13 PM

2 posts, read 3,601 times
I just have 1 thing to ad. My opinion Kihei is really dusty. Mostly about this time of year when they plow the Cain fields and the ground is so dry. Kihei gets all that dust. So if you have allergy's you might have second thoughts about Kihei. From experience.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:16 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,051,963 times
Holy resurrected thread, Batman!!!

It's only 5-1/2 years since OP started it, about 3-1/2 since the last post on it.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:50 PM

25 posts, read 53,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojow View Post
Aloha! My husband has received a terrific job offer in Maui and we are 99% sure we are going. We've visited the Big Island on our honeymoon 5 years ago and came back with the "Want to live in Hawaii" book and a dream. Three more trips later (to every island except Oahu) our dream is coming true. Now we need advice...

I have researched extensively and know the prices are outrageous. We are looking to rent - not buy. We want to live in Kihei since that is where his job will be and some of our favorite beaches. The Kahana are isn't out of the question but the traffic is bad during rush hours to and from Kihei. What should I AVOID in Kihei. Any really shady places?? He will likely go in May and probably take a small 1bd or studio. We are expecting twins in late July or August, and we will join him around September if all goes well. Once we get there, we especially want a safe location for the girls and I.

We are checking out movers for stuff and cars - any recommendations or companies to avoid is welcome, along with any other general advice. We have two cats and are starting the process asap. They pretty much quailify for 5 day or less; we just have to do a few things.

I'll ask other questions in other posts so this isn't too long! Thanks so much!!!
(guess op is long gone, but maybe this can help others) Imho, Kahana is nicer than nearly all of Kihei (except Wailea). Kahana has a refreshing cool wind, while Kihei always seems hot and dusty. However, commuting from Kahana to Kihei would be a hassle, not impossible, but a bother. Then there are the few times a year there's a fire on the Pali (road between west Maui and the rest of the island) and the road is shut down and you're stuck on one side or the other less you brave Mr. Toad's wild ride through Kahakuloa, which is only recommended going from Kapalua to Wailuku, not the other way as either the road will be closed in that direction, of if you make it through before that direction is shut down, you'll get stuck on the side of cliff with a sheer drop into the ocean in the one lane parts.

As for Kihei, just notice the neighborhood when you visit a potential rental. If it looks nice, it's ok. If it looks sketchy and unkept, there you go. $2500 a month should get you a nice place in a good neighborhood. North Kihei is not as nice as the rest of Kihei, buuut, south Kihei through Wailea have the very annoying daily afternoon clouds roll in due to convection, while North Kihei is more sunny. Trade offs.

Last edited by DancingSea; 08-17-2012 at 05:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui