Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 03:46 PM

502 posts, read 896,141 times

Advertisements

Aloha! My husband has received a terrific job offer in Maui and we are 99% sure we are going. We've visited the Big Island on our honeymoon 5 years ago and came back with the "Want to live in Hawaii" book and a dream. Three more trips later (to every island except Oahu) our dream is coming true. Now we need advice...

I have researched extensively and know the prices are outrageous. We are looking to rent - not buy. We want to live in Kihei since that is where his job will be and some of our favorite beaches. The Kahana are isn't out of the question but the traffic is bad during rush hours to and from Kihei. What should I AVOID in Kihei. Any really shady places?? He will likely go in May and probably take a small 1bd or studio. We are expecting twins in late July or August, and we will join him around September if all goes well. Once we get there, we especially want a safe location for the girls and I.

We are checking out movers for stuff and cars - any recommendations or companies to avoid is welcome, along with any other general advice. We have two cats and are starting the process asap. They pretty much quailify for 5 day or less; we just have to do a few things.

I'll ask other questions in other posts so this isn't too long! Thanks so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 08:24 PM

1 posts, read 26,594 times
Default maui

Hi, hopefully I can help answer some of your questions. My husband and I have a newborn and live/work in Kihei. There aren't too many shady areas but there are a few streets/neighborhoods in North Kihei I would avoid. There is a Safeway in central Kihei. The neighborhood/subdivision just north of Safeway is good and pretty much anything south of Safeway is good. We have lived there for four years. I'm originally from the midwest and I definitely would consider myself cautious. I think with babies on the way you would feel very safe in central/south Kihei. I'm not sure what your price range is for renting. You can rent a house from anywhere from 1800 on up.
You might want to look into renting a two bedroom ohana (attached to a house) or cottage (detached). Many apartments/condos you will have to worry about stairs (a pain with babies) and many people who work in the restaurant and hotel industry live in apt./condo complexes and like to stay up late and party which might pose a problem with newborns.

Since you have a baby on the way I can recommend a great OB and pediatrician (I work in early intervention...so these are docs that many people highly recommend). If you have insurance through HMSA I recommend Dr. C. Inouye, she is located in Kahului behing Ross Dress for Less and Safeway. I'm not sure who to recommend if you end up with Kaiser insurance, but an excellent Kaiser pediatrician is Dr. Ulin. If you need any help after the babies are born the early intervention program on Maui is called Imua Family Services. Families can self refer. FYI, if the twins will be born on island they will be delivered at Maui Memorial Medical Center. They do not have epidurals but they have intrathecals (pretty close to an epidural).

In Kihei the best prices for groceries can be found at Safeway and Foodland. There are some small farmer markets at the main mall (Kaahumanu) located in Kahului and on Saturday mornings they sell produce in Kihei outside of Long's Drug Store.

I can't remember the exact companies I used for shipping. It is quite a bit cheaper to find someone moving off island and buy stuff upon arrival. Matson is the main company that deals with shipping (that I know of). Check out www.craigslist.org and look up Maui. You can also look up the Maui News online for items/cars being sold. When you arrive the Maui Bulletin is a great place to find things for sale.

Baby items are sold at a store in Maui Mall called Keiki Time. Other than that there is a consignment store in North Kihei called Akamai Consignment and K Mart and Walmart.

I have had good luck banking at Bank of Hawaii.

Hope this helps. I'll try to check back to see if you have more questions.
Good luck with your decision. Maui is beautiful, I have loved living there but it is hard being away from family with little ones.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:34 PM

502 posts, read 896,141 times
Thanks so much! The babies will actually be born here in NC. I was very concerned about the lack of a NICU on Maui. Plus, that way our families can be there. The company has agreed to let hub return as the due date gets close and work from home for several weeks! He will return and we will joing him when the babies are about 6-8 weeks.

Thanks so much for the peds recommend! I would have eventually gotten to that question for sure! We should have HMSA insurance.

We will be renting and looking at anything up to about $2500. From what I've seen in the newspaper and Craig's list, we should be able to get something nice for that - maybe even 3 bedroom.

If I have more questions I'll ask! Mahalo!

Old 04-13-2007, 02:35 PM

2 posts, read 52,545 times
Default I have twins too!

I have lived in Kihei since 2003 and agree that central/south Kihei is your best bet. Just look for something newer (it makes a big difference) it will almost guarantee you a nicer neighborhood. $2500 a month will definitely get you something decent. I would recommend a 2 bedroom at least because twins and their stuff take up space fast! Within a year we had outgrown our 3 bdrm condo and needed a house. Our twin boys are turning 3 soon and were born here on Maui. You are right not to have them here! I run a moms group in Kihei so feel free to let me know any questions etc... and look me up when you get here if you want to meet other moms. Congrats on your move to paradise it should be fun! Good luck with your pregnancy too

Old 04-19-2007, 07:15 PM

7 posts, read 70,585 times
My husband and I are planning to move to Maui. I have spent countless hours researching the island on the internet. We like what we have found with Kihei, but are also considering Kahului, Wailuku and Makawao. We have two boys, aged 12 and 10. I am wondering which area would be best for us and our children, as far as the neighborhoods and schools?? Where is the best place to shop for food and household goods? We plan on relocating with as little as possible, as far as household goods. We are undecided as to whether or not to ship our vehicles--some websites say that it can take as long as five weeks for a vehicle to make it to the island. My husband is an HVAC service tech and I am a medical office manager, currently managing nine specialty physicians at five clinic sites. Any insight on job opportunities?? We currently live in a very small, rural town in NW Pennsylvania and are all looking forward to living in a neighborhood again and making new friends. Also looking forward to the beautiful weather on Maui. Any tips would be great!!

Mahalo!

Old 05-05-2007, 12:05 PM

2 posts, read 52,545 times
Default maui bound

Since you have kids, really look into our school system. Did you want to go public or private? Some of our public schools are rather lacking so a lot of families opt for private. That said, there are some good public schools especially if you as a parent get involved. My children are still toddlers so I onyl know a lot about preschool and kindergarten regarding public schools.

Check out our Maui county website for a complete list of schools and lots of other really good information for someone moving here.

As for location. Wailuku, Kahului and Makawao will all be cheaper then Kihei rent or buying wise. Do you plan to rent or buy? The best bet, if you're looking for a neighborhood to raise your children in, is one of our newer subdivisions. Kihei has a great neighborhood directly behind Safeway, Wailuku has Waikapu Gardens, Wailuku Heights and several others on the same road that I can't remember their names, Kahului has Maui Lani, The Legends and Na Hoku and Pukalani (right next to Makawao but closer to the grocery store) has some great neighborhoods. Look for a neighborhood that was all built around the same time by the same builder, it may have homeowners association fees, but you also get a really nice safe neighborhood full of families with kids.

As for groceries etc... Safeway is in Kihei and Kahului and usually has the best prices. We also have foodland, star market, walmart, kmart and costco so you'll have places to shop.

Kaiser is currently expanding in Kahului and Wailuku so there may be a lot of new medical office positions with them. Our hospital,Maui Memorial Medical Center, is also expanding and may be in need of help. In a few years they're hoping to build a new hospital so a lot more jobs should open up then as well.

Shipping your car, it depends on where you ship from for how long it will take. West Coast usually takes about 3 weeks. We do have a public bus system here, it's not outstanding cause it's still pretty new but it definitely works. If you just want to buy when you get here the best used deals are in the maui bulletin a free weekly newspaper thing where all the locals list stuff for sale.

Let me know if you have other questions. I'm glad to help anyone wanting to move or visit our fair island.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:54 AM

62 posts, read 282,058 times
In Kihei you should avoid :Walaka Street, Namauu Street, Kihei Shores Apartments, . We live right smack in the middle near Foodland. We are really close to the beach and well everything. But we have 5 bars at the end of our street and my neighbors speed like crazy. Maui Meadows is nice, the area by Safeway too. Hope Chapel is a very kid friendly church if your looking for one.....

Aloha

Old 11-10-2007, 08:23 AM

1 posts, read 24,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimabam View Post
Since you have kids, really look into our school system. Did you want to go public or private? Some of our public schools are rather lacking so a lot of families opt for private. That said, there are some good public schools especially if you as a parent get involved. My children are still toddlers so I onyl know a lot about preschool and kindergarten regarding public schools.

Check out our Maui county website for a complete list of schools and lots of other really good information for someone moving here.

As for location. Wailuku, Kahului and Makawao will all be cheaper then Kihei rent or buying wise. Do you plan to rent or buy? The best bet, if you're looking for a neighborhood to raise your children in, is one of our newer subdivisions. Kihei has a great neighborhood directly behind Safeway, Wailuku has Waikapu Gardens, Wailuku Heights and several others on the same road that I can't remember their names, Kahului has Maui Lani, The Legends and Na Hoku and Pukalani (right next to Makawao but closer to the grocery store) has some great neighborhoods. Look for a neighborhood that was all built around the same time by the same builder, it may have homeowners association fees, but you also get a really nice safe neighborhood full of families with kids.

As for groceries etc... Safeway is in Kihei and Kahului and usually has the best prices. We also have foodland, star market, walmart, kmart and costco so you'll have places to shop.

Kaiser is currently expanding in Kahului and Wailuku so there may be a lot of new medical office positions with them. Our hospital,Maui Memorial Medical Center, is also expanding and may be in need of help. In a few years they're hoping to build a new hospital so a lot more jobs should open up then as well.

Shipping your car, it depends on where you ship from for how long it will take. West Coast usually takes about 3 weeks. We do have a public bus system here, it's not outstanding cause it's still pretty new but it definitely works. If you just want to buy when you get here the best used deals are in the maui bulletin a free weekly newspaper thing where all the locals list stuff for sale.

Let me know if you have other questions. I'm glad to help anyone wanting to move or visit our fair island.
Hi. Noticed your posting about kindergarten, etc...
My husband and I are moving to maui in december. We have a 5 year old that we want to put in junior kindergarten. He's in special ed. He is delayed. Needs some district help in the classroom. Small classes best. Can you tell me which elementary schools you think may have the better programs for him. He's not handicapped physically. He has a speech & language developmental disorder, and needs lots of one on one in class in order to focus.

Thanks for any info you may have. )

Old 11-18-2007, 07:04 AM

1 posts, read 24,589 times
Default moving too

I am a nurse practitioner looking at job in Kahului at the veterans community based health center on 203 Ho'ohana on Maui. Been combing the websites too looking for tips on living and other life necessary amenities. Am looking for rental for a year or more with 2 cats-any ideas? don't mind commuting if reasonable for bus service(if feasible) looked at the bus lines and times on the Maui bus commuter service website, looks do-able? Are some of the other towns close by options for living around Kahului?

If anyone knows of any other health care professionals or contacts with the VA system living in the area I might could direct some other questions to them too.

I live in St. Petersburg, Florida. so email me if I can give the scoop on sunny west side Florida.

Old 11-22-2007, 04:36 PM

63 posts, read 334,166 times
Default Rents...

Check out the Mauinews.. rent section ..

I have had a place in Kihei since 93.. love it..

Ready for Melekelikimaka!!!!!

Winter is great in Maui and Colorado is nice in summer...

Mahalo

HM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui