Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2009, 10:04 PM

4 posts, read 17,569 times

Advertisements

Well im be moving to maui on july first. Im 22 years old. I was just curious what you guys would suggest me to do , so i dont get to lonely. I will be living in lahaina right by front street. With my mom. will be sleeping on her couch. I just though im young might as well try my luck in maui. When i visted , it was heaven on earth. I just dont want to get really bored and lonely because i dont know anyone. Whats some good activities to keep me busy. Im darkskinned and ofted mistaken for a local, so the locals wont be a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 02:44 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,896,146 times
I've never found the locals to "be a problem" although I am only kind of olive-skinned myself. It may take you a while to find a job, but there are lots of things you can volunteer for, depending upon your interests: teaching/tutoring, environmental projects (native plant re-establishment or trailblazing to park clean-ups and rehabs), and lots of social opportunities that will introduce you to the neighborhoods and lots of people.

Read the papers when you get there (or online before) -- The Maui News and The Lahaina News always have local event calendars with calls for people to participate. I'm always shocked at the numbers of hard-working people who will take an entire Saturday or Sunday to pick up litter along the beaches, for instance.

You can also join a paddling club or some other kind of athletic organization, depending upon your interests and skills. These are social as well as competitive, and are a great way to get to know the island and our people.

Best of luck.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:44 AM

203 posts, read 1,357,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanenochs View Post
Well im be moving to maui on july first. Im 22 years old. I was just curious what you guys would suggest me to do , so i dont get to lonely. I will be living in lahaina right by front street. With my mom. will be sleeping on her couch. I just though im young might as well try my luck in maui. When i visted , it was heaven on earth. I just dont want to get really bored and lonely because i dont know anyone. Whats some good activities to keep me busy. Im darkskinned and ofted mistaken for a local, so the locals wont be a problem.
Free stay at your moms in Maui? Eh forget work go surf all day every day

Or check this out: Maui travel guide - Wikitravel
http://www.gohawaii.com/maui/plan/things_to_do_on_maui/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
View detailed profiles of: