Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you move to with kids/teens ?
Kihei -- manino circle 1 100.00%
Haiku - Upper Kaupakalua 0 0%
Some other option (if you choose this, explain why) 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 10:54 PM

82 posts, read 458,472 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have a question and hope you can help me out here. We are moving over to Maui in less than 2 weeks and there are two places I am deciding between, and I wanted to know if anyone has any knowledge of these areas and which you would recommend and why...

The one is a 3 bd/1 bth home in Upper Kaupakalua (Haiku I believe) the other is a 2 bd/2bth. apartment complex in Kihei (Piilani garden apartments).

I know these places are probably like night and day - and both have pros/cons, but so not sure what to do now. If you could give me your opinion what you would choose would be helpful.

I have kids/teens, so we like to go to the beach alot (how far is Haiku to a beach, and is it a sandy beach where kids could swim, or is it more for windsurfing only ?). I know the apartment complex is supposedly 2 blocks from the beach (and extremely close to restaurants, safeway, etc.) What about shops/groceries/markets/activities, etc. in the Upper Kaupakalua area ? Schools in either area ? General vibe of either place ?

Both places mentioned would be exactly the same in price, so now its just a matter of deciding what to go with. Need some advice, thanks !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 11:02 PM

18,325 posts, read 18,903,953 times
if you don't have to sign a long lease you might want kihei as it is was easier to get ot the beach and has more places to keep your teens occupied. it is also I think easier from there to get around to where you need to go. do you have to work or look for work? google map or maps.live the locations. you will probably be able to tell the difference.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:32 PM

805 posts, read 1,505,520 times
Haiku: Green, rainy, humid (watch for mold problems), fruit trees, quiet, country-livin'. Think Seattle in the woods.

Kihei: Dry, dusty (you'll be wiping everything down all the time), town-living, noisy. Close to beach.

Either can work for you depending on what you would enjoy. You can always move. Everyone who rents does that. I've lived all over Maui since being here and I got to know each micro-climate and neighborhood. It's a good experience.

Note: Mosquitoes and centipedes inhabit both places.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:55 AM

70 posts, read 287,390 times
Default where to live

kihei ,,its more than 2 blocks ...in reality about a 10 to 15 minute walk ...

but you will be across from safeway and other shops ...

kihei has more options for living ,,,imho

why dont you find a place for 7 to 10 daze and make a decision...i did i am glad i did it that way .i got to see what my options are

btw the complex does not have their own pool you are next to kihei community pool

also dont live to close to the roads lots of traffic around that complex

just my 2 cents worth

xstonedrocker

ps happy to live in kihei now for 6 months
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui