Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 12:39 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,404,606 times

Advertisements

I got a County job in Wailuku which starts on 04-16. I'm planning to fly to Maui 3 or 2 weeks before that and rent a room while I look for an apartment. I'll also rent a car until my Jeep gets there. I have a few questions--

Any reason not to rent a car from Enterprise by the airport? They have a $120 weekly rate which is a lot less than I expected.

What kind of time frame should I expect? I'm hoping to rent a room for only a week before I get an apartment. Is that reasonable or will I have to spend more time looking and getting paperwork done, etc?
Will renters be willing to start on any day of the month or do they try to stick to the 1st?
BTW I want to live in walking distance of the County buildings so I'm only looking in Wailuku Town.

I was planning to stay at Northshore Hostel, but I heard it's in a rougher part of town. It's cheap though at $45 a night. Another option is Wailuku Guest House but it costs $79. There is also this ohana that costs $500 a week "Killer Views" Detached Studio - King Bed - Pool - WiFi - Tranquility (http://honolulu.craigslist.org/mau/vac/1629383184.html - broken link)
How much cost matters will depend on how long I have to stay. Any input on these options? Anyone know of other weekly ohana rentals?

Any local restaurant recommendations?

What beach should I go to first?

Mahalo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 02:19 PM

81 posts, read 219,702 times
You'll be fine at the North Shore Hostel. It's Maui so crime is not like the mainland. That said, common sense prevails walking by your self at night. There are a few rough and tumble locals that cruise those streets at night. A slightly shady element. But keep your wits and you;ll be just fine. During the day it's a whole other world.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:40 PM
DBM

92 posts, read 493,562 times
Wink --

I would have to disagree with Nalu, but only a bit. The crime here is pretty much the same as on the mainland, so definitely keep your wits about you. That area of town is a bit rougher, but lots of folks stay in both hostels without incident, so you should be fine.

The detached ohana you're looking at is in Wailuku, but it's a little further than I would consider walking distance from the County offices. Since you're renting a car for the first week, that probably won't be a problem, but I thought you would want to know. As far as cars go, Enterprise is fine -- we've used them for longer-term rentals because their price is generally better (the trade-off is the shuttle service is a bit less prompt because they're not located with the other agencies on the airport grounds).

Finally, it's a renter's market right now. There are literally pages of rentals available in the Maui News, so I imagine you'll find someone willing to enter into a quick lease.

Welcome, and good luck. If you want to share, what's the position?

Old 03-05-2010, 03:47 PM

Yep, I noticed the Craigslist place is by the harbor which I know is driving distance. I think I'll go with Guest House. I'm spending an arm and a leg to move anyway, so what's a couple hundred extra bucks? It's going into the Maui economy anyway, which my county job depends on! Plus it's 2 blocks from the office

I'll keep in mind that it's a renter's market.

I'll be a GIS technician-- cartography, mapping, digitizing land data, things like that.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:25 PM
DBM

I think you're making the right choice on where to stay. You've got enough on your mind without having to worry about the neighborhood. Good luck with the move and new job. And enjoy Ichiban's -- it's next door to your new office, and it's great.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:43 PM

That's what I'm thinking. It's not like I'm afraid I'll get murdered or even robbed, but I know how much of a hassle it is, for example, to have your car broken into... That happened to me in what I thought was a nice urban neighborhood in Houston.

Anyone have a recommendation on an airline? Is any better than the other for flying to Hawaii?

Old 03-05-2010, 07:31 PM
DBM

Depends on where you're coming from, but Hawaiian has been the best in our experience.

My wife works for the County and I work about 100 yards from your new office, so send a direct message if you have any more specific questions.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:29 PM

I'm coming from Houston. It looks like most of the flights are Continental. There are a couple with Hawaiian Airline connections but those are twice the price.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:24 PM

Anyone know if Pasha Hawaiian Lines lets you have a roof rack like this on your vehicle? I have a set that came with my Cherokee but I took it off. I might need it if I ever get a surfboard or surfski

Old 03-06-2010, 03:28 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,455,356 times
The rack will be fine to ship. It just has to be a "part of the vehicle". You can't take the rack off and leave the pieces in the Jeep, for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui