Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mazda
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 04:34 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,238,382 times

Advertisements

It is getting time for new a car. I want mid-size SUV, very reliable and very safe. I do not like to change cars often, so this new SUV will be staying with me for about 7 years. I do not know anything about Mazda. CX-9 caught my eye, but I am unsure about reliability, and even more its safety ratings, (safety appears borderline iffy, than the Mazda's competitors). I can see CX-9 everywhere, it seems very popular SUV.
Could anyone please comment if you have any experience, and set me straight here. I would like to know more, good and bad. I am also looking at Pilot or Highlander (boring, usual suspects). Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 11:10 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
I think I would get the honda Pilot or the Highlander but like the Pilot better.
I have the crv and it has been a great car for me.
also go rent one for a few days to see which you like best

Old 05-18-2013, 12:32 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,852,517 times
We cross-shopped the three. The Highlander is a nice car, but the middle row has only two seats that you can use, the middle one is not useable. Everybody is raving about that design, but we are a family of 4 and have to tag along a 5th member frequently. The 3rd row is not easy to get to, is tight and also I don't feel safe putting my kids at the rear end (technically the trunk). So the HL was off the list.
The Pilot is a good size people carrier, it is an Odyssey made look like a truck. But it is too much of a truck. The hood is as tall as me (6'), the dash is like a wall. But the biggest gripe for me was the VCM (Variable Cylinder management) that kept kicking in and out during the test drive and caused a lot of vibration. I also used to have a CRV and knew that Honda's get noisy.

We finally settled on the CX-9; has great handling and good size 2nd row. The engine is modified from Ford and transmission is made by Aisin (Toyota). It is assembled in Japan, so overall not bad quality. We got a good deal on a low mileage 2010 CPO. I wanted to get the 2010 because they still have a transmission dipstick and I get to do the ATF change myself (along the other stuff I DIY). Six months in it and we are happy. Wife feels interior is luxurious, ride on a bunch of road trips has been pleasant. You still get some wind noise due to the size. Rear visibility not the best and I am looking into an in-dash nav with rear-view camera.

Old 05-18-2013, 02:24 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
I helped my son with extensive test drives of the Pilot, Traverse, and CX9. I thought the CX9 was a comparable package of features with much more enjoyable driving dynamics. It was my choice... but he bought the Chevy.

Old 05-18-2013, 04:26 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,238,382 times
Thanks guys! This helps a lot.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:35 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
We cross-shopped the three. The Highlander is a nice car, but the middle row has only two seats that you can use, the middle one is not useable. Everybody is raving about that design, but we are a family of 4 and have to tag along a 5th member frequently. The 3rd row is not easy to get to, is tight and also I don't feel safe putting my kids at the rear end (technically the trunk). So the HL was off the list.
The Pilot is a good size people carrier, it is an Odyssey made look like a truck. But it is too much of a truck. The hood is as tall as me (6'), the dash is like a wall. But the biggest gripe for me was the VCM (Variable Cylinder management) that kept kicking in and out during the test drive and caused a lot of vibration. I also used to have a CRV and knew that Honda's get noisy.

We finally settled on the CX-9; has great handling and good size 2nd row. The engine is modified from Ford and transmission is made by Aisin (Toyota). It is assembled in Japan, so overall not bad quality. We got a good deal on a low mileage 2010 CPO. I wanted to get the 2010 because they still have a transmission dipstick and I get to do the ATF change myself (along the other stuff I DIY). Six months in it and we are happy. Wife feels interior is luxurious, ride on a bunch of road trips has been pleasant. You still get some wind noise due to the size. Rear visibility not the best and I am looking into an in-dash nav with rear-view camera.
You have a strange way of looking at things.

It is true that the Pilot and Odyssey are related. But they are also related to the Acura MDX, one of the very best mid-sized SUVs available.

The Highlander has much in common with the Camry. And the Lexus RX (in two row form). And the Venza.

The CX-9 is a related to the Ford Edge. And those are based on the same roots of the previous Ford Fusion and Mazda6.

I don't think that the Pilot and Odyssey are related matters except the powertrain is highly proven and reliable. We own a 2006 Pilot with VCM and I never notice when it engages. I see the green "eco" light turn on. Maybe it is more noticeable on a new vehicle. The Pilot is very roomy because of its boxy shape. I have no idea what you mean when you say the hood is as tall as you. We know it isn't 6 ft. tall. I agree the Pilot has some road noise like many Hondas. But it is also supremely reliable.

The Highlander is nice to drive and reliable but cozy inside. Older versions didn't have AC vents to the rear.

The CX-9 is a very good mid-sized SUV, but smaller than the Pilot because of its sleeker shape. The CX-9 drives and handles very well like Mazdas usually do. It is stylish inside and out. It's engine is not special nor is it a problem. My sister owns one and I like it very much.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:49 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times
I bought a 2008 with 65,000 miles on it and drove it off of the lot to Pittsburgh. I have not had any probelms with it and it rides real quietly and smoothly. My only complaint is that it was not a 4WD and that was a drag in the Pa winters, besides that it is comfortable and reliable. The rear view vision is not that good but since we have the rear view camera it has not been a problem. I recomend it especially for traveling. I'm thinking about getting my wife a newer model next year.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:01 PM

929 posts, read 2,722,039 times
I saw your post, I asked my neighbor who has one , bought new 2008.
She loves it, but says the interior is small.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:28 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Consumer Reports rated Mazda tied for #2 in reliability against all other car brands. I think they are tied with Subaru. I think Lexus is #1, or possibly Acura.

Yep, they rate Mazda better than Toyota and Honda. This was a 2013 Consumer Reports list of car manufacturers overall.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:07 AM

1,976 posts, read 6,852,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
You have a strange way of looking at things.
Maybe, but that is the way "I" see things. Most people who buy a Pilot, buy it because they think it a rugged truck. It is a crossover like the rest of them. It is a great and reliable car. After noticing the vibrations, I checked the pilot forum and there are a lot of threads complaining of it. Apparently it is more noticeable in the newer models. People have gone to extreme trying to deactivate it. The recommendation is to test dive a few and buy one that has less noticeable vibration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mazda