Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mazda
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 04:18 PM

31,016 posts, read 22,056,089 times

Advertisements

Parents have a 2015 mid level Mazda 3, most of the bells and whistles but not the bigger engine of the "S" model. Fantastic gas mileage and very comfortable. Also, much roomier than my old 2000 Mazda 6. It's better than all the competitors, in it's class, according to all the articles but it is very boring to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 04:36 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
2012 Mazda 6 - my "practical car" - big trunk and fold down back seat for lots of room to haul stuff around - but still on the sporty side

2005 Mazda RX8 - technically 4 doors but back seat pretty unusable...tiny trunk...really bad in snow...but sooooo fun to drive in the summer - even after all these years!

Old 04-29-2016, 02:42 PM

8,306 posts, read 13,439,396 times
I am definitely in the market for a new car and planning on buying one either within the next few weeks. If I can't find the vehicle at the pricing/IR I want, then I will wait till the end of the year for the best deal.

Anyhow, Mazda3 is definitely at the top of my list. I read through this site and bunch of other sites and as much as people rave about KIAs and Hyundais, they do not have the rep history for me so I am still skeptical on those 2 brands.

I want a compact/small car because:
a) Parking is a major pita where I live and I can only use my driveway if I have a small enough car
I love my Silverado and it has been a solid truck but I need to get a more practical vehicle.

b) I don't care about a luxurious and fast car because I ride motorcycles so a car is merely for utility purposes.

Anyone else own a 2015 or 2016 Mazda3 that can provide feedback?
Also what trim /sub model of Mazda3 you bought and why?

PS. I can't stand steel wheels with hub covers so I am thinking Touring model at the very least.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:11 PM

132 posts, read 153,883 times
Just bought a 2016 Mazda3 two weeks ago. I bought an i Grand Touring. I wanted leather seats and you have to get the GT trim to get them. The one I ended up with also had a some sort of tech package that added a way to start the car remotely from a cell phone app and I'm sure some other stuff.

Two engine choices for the Mazda3. Most are the i model with a 2.0 liter. The more expensive s models have a 2.5 liter with more power.

Trim levels:
SV - lowest possible trim level, not available anymore as of 2016
Sport - Base model, still lots of features.
Touring - Adds a sunroof, leather wrapped steering wheel, alloy wheels, auto headlights and wipers, blindspot monitoring and advanced keyless entry
Grand Touring - Adds heated power leather seats, satellite radio, navigation, and the Bose stereo system.

You can add some options to lower trim levels to make them nicer, but some options (like leather seats) are only available on certain trims. The dealer can add navigation to any car, they all have the screen, all the dealer has to do is install an SD card. The s models are only available in Touring and Grand Touring.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:21 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,762,929 times
I had an iTouring hatchback (2014, new body style) prior to my new car, and a 2012 Mazda3 sedan iTouring prior to the 2014. Both were excellent and I would highly recommend a Mazda to anyone.

Old 05-04-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nws2002 View Post
Just bought a 2016 Mazda3 two weeks ago. I bought an i Grand Touring. I wanted leather seats and you have to get the GT trim to get them. The one I ended up with also had a some sort of tech package that added a way to start the car remotely from a cell phone app and I'm sure some other stuff.

Two engine choices for the Mazda3. Most are the i model with a 2.0 liter. The more expensive s models have a 2.5 liter with more power.

Trim levels:
SV - lowest possible trim level, not available anymore as of 2016
Sport - Base model, still lots of features.
Touring - Adds a sunroof, leather wrapped steering wheel, alloy wheels, auto headlights and wipers, blindspot monitoring and advanced keyless entry
Grand Touring - Adds heated power leather seats, satellite radio, navigation, and the Bose stereo system.

You can add some options to lower trim levels to make them nicer, but some options (like leather seats) are only available on certain trims. The dealer can add navigation to any car, they all have the screen, all the dealer has to do is install an SD card. The s models are only available in Touring and Grand Touring.
Almost bought a white Grand Touring S model. i model is actually powerful enough with 155 HP but S model for another $3000 give you 30 MP more plus additional interior upgrades that make the price difference a non-issue.

I test drove one and the 184HP S model didn't seem too powerful so if you prefer zippier cars, I imagine i model wouldn't satisfy you much. S model is well worth the additional $$ imho.

Despite an attractive price tag and 0% interest promo, I didn't get it. It felt rushed but what upset me most is the trade-in value they came up for me truck which felt like an insult. I was so annoyed at such a ridiculously low (KBB Trade-in was close to $6000, they offered $1500) it annoyed me to the point of walking out of there.

I might have preferred manual tranny for the S model though, more fun to drive plus no costly maintenance or repair. Auto transmissions nowadays are typically sealed (didn't even have a check stick) which is typically a red-flag for DIY/home mechanic types.

Mazda3 S Grand Touring was nice, and overall I liked it. It offered a lot for a small, sporty $23K-$24K 184HP car that gets around 32 miles city/fwy combined.

Since my vehicle runs well, has only 112K miles and generally sits on the street most days, I could not justify the $400-a-month commitment for 5 years plus the insurance payment increase.

I will revisit towards the end of the year which is when people get the best deals.

Old 05-04-2016, 05:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,249 times
I have a 2012 Mazda 3 hatchback with the 2.5 L engine -- it was just before the SkyActive model. Overall I like this car a lot -- it's peppy and handles great on curvy roads. I also live in the city, where the ride is a bit rough on potholed streets. It has a great turning radius and the hatchback is good for carrying stuff around. My city gas mileage is not that great (remember, it's not skyactive -- I get about 15-16, but I live in San Francisco where we have a lot of hills and I do short trips all the time in town... as well as drive it a bit hard. Overall, this is more on the sport side of hatchbacks with really good handling and accelerating, stiffer suspension, and mine came with low profile tires (which look expensive to replace, though I haven't replaced them yet). I have a standard transmission 6 speed which is great for longer trip gas mileage. I find the seats a bit hard for longer trips. The controls on the car are a bit off for my size (5' 10") -- for example, I always open the back windows instead of the front by accident with the electric window switches; I can't see the turn signal or high beam indicators (I like the steering wheel a bit low, and it hides those indicators on the dash from my line of sight). I will say this car was really priced right, at about 19K, compared to, say, a VW GTI, which I understand is a bit nicer car, but it's a LOT more expensive. I've had it since the start of 2013, and have not had any mechanical problems, though I only have about 15K miles on it. Overall I think it's a great balance of value, sporty, and practicality.

Old 05-11-2016, 02:28 PM

23,862 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Almost bought a white Grand Touring S model. i model is actually powerful enough with 155 HP but S model for another $3000 give you 30 MP more plus additional interior upgrades that make the price difference a non-issue.

I test drove one and the 184HP S model didn't seem too powerful so if you prefer zippier cars, I imagine i model wouldn't satisfy you much. S model is well worth the additional $$ imho.

Despite an attractive price tag and 0% interest promo, I didn't get it. It felt rushed but what upset me most is the trade-in value they came up for me truck which felt like an insult. I was so annoyed at such a ridiculously low (KBB Trade-in was close to $6000, they offered $1500) it annoyed me to the point of walking out of there.

I might have preferred manual tranny for the S model though, more fun to drive plus no costly maintenance or repair. Auto transmissions nowadays are typically sealed (didn't even have a check stick) which is typically a red-flag for DIY/home mechanic types.

Mazda3 S Grand Touring was nice, and overall I liked it. It offered a lot for a small, sporty $23K-$24K 184HP car that gets around 32 miles city/fwy combined.

Since my vehicle runs well, has only 112K miles and generally sits on the street most days, I could not justify the $400-a-month commitment for 5 years plus the insurance payment increase.

I will revisit towards the end of the year which is when people get the best deals.
Sell the truck yourself then buy the car with a bigger down payment. All dealers rip you off for trade in.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Sell the truck yourself then buy the car with a bigger down payment. All dealers rip you off for trade in.
Yes, that is what I was thinking.
If I have time, I will definitely try selling it that way. If not, give CarMax a shot as I head pretty good reviews about them. They seem to buy even junk cars with issues as they have in-house mechanics that can repair and certify(!) them.

I've decided to hold on to it until the end of this year at least then re-visit the idea.
As odd as it appeared, I sort of liked the Nissan Juke as well. 1/2 mpg less but it is a bit more powerful. I spoke with couple of owners of earlier models of it and they both seemed very happy with it.

Still, my #1 choice is Mazda3 S series!
I just have to locate a Touring/Grand Touring model with maual transmission.

Old 06-11-2016, 07:04 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,302,234 times
Well, since this 2007 thread has been revived, I might as well chime in.

Just bought a 2016 Mazda3 Hatchback sGT in Soul Red. Coming from a 2004 Corvette Coupe, it's quite an adjustment, but so far I'm liking it a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mazda