Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mazda
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 01:24 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,857,098 times

Advertisements

personally, i would put it up on jackstands to avoid flat spots on the rubba!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 01:33 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,015,656 times
You boys have too much time on your hands. I need this to stay simple.

Now I vent:

I have 2 good weather days to get my "forest" raked up. I use the lawn mower to vacuum them up - faster, easier, looks nicer. The d*** mower won't start. I do not handle these things well. Fresh gas, a little Sea Foam - usually works great. Today - nope. I'm going out to try it again - that scream you all hear will be me.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:35 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
You boys have too much time on your hands. I need this to stay simple.

Now I vent:

I have 2 good weather days to get my "forest" raked up. I use the lawn mower to vacuum them up - faster, easier, looks nicer. The d*** mower won't start. I do not handle these things well. Fresh gas, a little Sea Foam - usually works great. Today - nope. I'm going out to try it again - that scream you all hear will be me.
I thought maybe that scream was because the Vikings are currently ahead of the Ravens 27-10.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:48 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,518,435 times
Spending most of my life on the frozen tundra (MN) I always had
to store my special toy's to keep the salt monster from eating them

I believe 100% in the power of moth balls I used old socks to put them
in and hang any place I could under the hood, Underneath I'd take some
old cottage cheese packages or coffee cans and pour some in there then
place them on the floor as I did not want the inside of the car to smell
and D-Con in other parts of the storage area.

I left my battery in the vehicle as once a month I just wanted to hear
my baby run I'd also put it up on blocks so the tires would not get flat spotted.
Most of the vehicles I stored had full steel frames so I'd also
spray as much of it as I could with liquid wax to keep the condensation
off and leaving pit marks.

I only used Raggtopp products on my top and would put an couple of
soft old blankets on the top before putting on the cover.

I never had any issues with the fuel I'd leave ¼ tank and pour in one
bottle of ISO for any condensation.

I also had a deal with my insurance company with a reduced rate while
still keeping it fully insured when being stored

Old 10-18-2009, 01:56 PM

So Mouser, I see you got chicken and fled to AZ! Thanks for the advice

Old 10-18-2009, 03:48 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
I have leather seats - and very clever of you Huck - I assume you were referring to yourself!
then linseed oil or some other recommended cleaner and preservative.
yes i would be an excellent candidate, my kid brother has one and loves it.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:19 PM

219 posts, read 570,459 times
Unfortunately, we're approaching that time of year again. I'll be putting mine away in an unheated garage next month. I'm amazed at the number of people on miata.net who drive their Miatas through the winter (many of them Canadians), but I couldn't bring myself to do that. My winter preparations are as follows:
I start with an oil change shortly before storage. Then I fill the gas tank and add a bottle of Stabil, bring the tires up to around 45 psi, disconnect the battery, and put a dust cover over the car. I also put moth balls in a couple of socks underneath.
Disconnecting the battery requires me to reset the radio and reset the stability control when I reconnect in the spring.
The alternative to this would be a trickle charger.
I've gone through three winters with this procedure and have never had a problem. Of course, the best way to winterize a Miata is to move to Arizona and bring it with you. I hope to do this some day, but as long as I'm stuck here, I'll go through the ritual.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:25 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Quote:
So, you bought one!! I remember when you were reseaching what to buy. Gotta love those Miatas! Not good here in the winter, it's so low to the ground that the salt/chemicals would eat it up. I see people driving them here in the winter - wouldn't want to buy it used from any of them. TN climate would be much better for it.

What color did you get? I have a black one with a camel top and black & camel interior.

No microwave and no deep freeze for my little one!!!!
Texas is warmer than Tenn. in the winter, I'll take care of it for you..

Old 10-18-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick St John View Post
Unfortunately, we're approaching that time of year again. I'll be putting mine away in an unheated garage next month. I'm amazed at the number of people on miata.net who drive their Miatas through the winter (many of them Canadians), but I couldn't bring myself to do that. My winter preparations are as follows:
I start with an oil change shortly before storage. Then I fill the gas tank and add a bottle of Stabil, bring the tires up to around 45 psi, disconnect the battery, and put a dust cover over the car. I also put moth balls in a couple of socks underneath.
Disconnecting the battery requires me to reset the radio and reset the stability control when I reconnect in the spring.
The alternative to this would be a trickle charger.
I've gone through three winters with this procedure and have never had a problem. Of course, the best way to winterize a Miata is to move to Arizona and bring it with you. I hope to do this some day, but as long as I'm stuck here, I'll go through the ritual.
Hey - you're my neighbor (almost)!! Thanks - good advice!!

Old 10-18-2009, 07:32 PM

219 posts, read 570,459 times
Yeah, if you see a Nordic Green with a tan top and a Maui sea turtle on the back window, that's probably me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mazda