Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2019, 09:46 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
I don't care what you believe. It seems that you can't back your argument with facts. Slavery in the U.S. ended in 1865. Nobody who was a slave is alive today and nobody that is alive today is or was a slave or has a direct family member who was a slave.

What affects blacks in the communities is the crime rate, education, and jobs..........if you don't finish High School, you choose to be a criminal and have kids out of wedlock the chances are that you will never get out of poverty. Slavery has nothing to do with anything.

Slavery was practiced in Latin Countries including Brazil, Cuba and Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico (where I was born) and slavery lasted longer than the U.S.A. and nobody blames slavery centuries ago why they are poor. Only in the U.S., they feed that victimhood mentality to blacks and it does damage to them.

Black Latinos don't have that victimhood mentality like a lot of Black Americans. You will NEVER hear a black Latino use slavery centuries ago to blame their economic situation and the fact is Black Latinos are way poorer than Black Americans and have fewer opportunities in life but they are not bitter or blame the white Latinos for their problems and are not stuck in the 1800's. Black Latinos would love to trade places with Black Americans.

Hell!!! 90% of black Africans in Africa would love to trade places with Black Americans.
January 24, 2018
Key facts about black immigrants in the U.S.
"Since 2000 alone, the number of black immigrants living in the country has risen 71%. Now, roughly one-in-ten blacks (9%) living in the U.S. are foreign born, according to 2016 American Community Survey data, up from 3% in 1980."

There goes the neighborhood ...

Old 02-24-2019, 09:51 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,699,840 times
Quote:
what are you talking about? you don't know the history of Latin countries and their treatment of blacks and their native Indians and how the majority treated them.

Tell me of a Latin Country that the blacks were the minority and had the majority power in government and the ruling class? Name 1 Hispanic country that blacks could be the President, governor, Senator and in their Supreme Court in that country?.....not even in Cuba where Blacks are the majority, the ruling class have always been white.

the fact is Black Americans have it better than Black Latinos and it's the Black Americans with the victimhood mentality and are bitter about slavery. Black Latinos don't act this way and they are at the bottom of the economy pool in their countries.
I can’t believe what I’m reading.

The Dominican Republic has had black and mulatto presidents. And Cuba has had mulatto presidents and black independence leaders as well as Puerto Rico in its struggle for independence.

It wasn’t the ruling class of colonial Latin American society that advocated for independence and sparation from Spain, Portugal, or France. It was the Creole classes, that were born in the colonies.

But we both know, for the most part, that the indigenous people and enslaved Africans were at the bottom of the hierarchy.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:00 PM

17,988 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
He’s not black. Dinesh D’Souza is Caucasian.

They can’t trade spots. This is OUR country.
Dinesh d'Sousa doesn't look Caucasian to me. He's from India. He's as black as Flip Wilson.

Let's ask Elizabeth Warren or that lady in charge of the NAACP.

You democrats confuse this thing to no end.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
I wasn't aware of just how triggered folks got over slavery. If someone had nothing to do with it why worry about others getting over it so much. They want you to even talk about it for some reason it just hits them deep. For black Americans slavery is literally as far back as you can go for family history.
The stuff science today can come up with ...
Should You Have Genetic Testing Done?

HOW IS GENETIC TESTING HELPFUL FOR THOSE WHO MAY NOT KNOW THEIR FAMILY HISTORY?

"Genetic (genomic) tests can also be used to provide information about human history and migration within and outside of Africa. Because human history started from Africa (the cradle of humanity), modern-day African ancestry populations have more genetic variations. By comparing individual DNA with large reference databases containing DNA information from thousands of people from around world, scientists can provide information about individual history that could connect them with distant relatives thus revealing traces of individual family history including who their ancestors are and where they came from. This type of genetic testing is sometimes referred to as “ancestry tracing” or genetic genealogy."

Old 02-24-2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
African Americans are as American as apple pie. We don’t need to research anything as our culture is American culture. Amazing how British bands from the 60’s could see this but Americans today still cannot. No Rolling Stones without Chuck Berry or Delta Blues, Elvis ripped his whole act from black performers.

Let me help you out a little.
1. Africa is a continent not a country, therefore many cultures and languages exist
2. Slaves didn’t come with tags stating which country or tribe they were from
3. Africans brought to America were seperated from others in their tribe to discourage communication and prevent revolt
4. Until DNA testing was available less than 20 years ago, no one in the United States could trace where African Americans came from.
5. Today we still don’t know which country or tribe most are from, just generalizations unless a bill of sale or shipping manafest is found wiith a name.
6. African Americans are not 100% African, most of us have genes from white, Indian, and Hispanic origins therefore making it more difficult to identify place of origin.

I have no idea where I am from, DNA only provided a region that encompasses 4 countries on the western shore. African American have no ties or roots in Africa. Those were severed during the 400 years of slavery and 100 years of Jim Crow.
I agree with your post except for ...

Quote:
400 years of slavery
That would put the year of America in 1465?
The Misguided Focus on 1619 as the Beginning of Slavery in the U.S. Damages Our Understanding of American History

"In 1619, “20. and odd Negroes” arrived off the coast of Virginia, ... "

Trading ended in 1808, yet the free labor continued until, 1865

Any way, no way it was 400 years of slave labor usage in America ... however, I can see that for Egypt.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Oh they do.

But I highly doubt they’ll tell Jews to get over the Holocaust.
86 years later, I'm wondering if the Jews blame the Germans for problems they may be having, today.

Old 02-24-2019, 11:07 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,699,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
86 years later, I'm wondering if the Jews blame the Germans for problems they may be having, today.
I’m sure they don’t. But they don’t forget it. And they don’t stop talking about it.

But I’m sure they aren’t told as much to get over it.

Old 02-24-2019, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
I’m sure they don’t. But they don’t forget it. And they don’t stop talking about it.

But I’m sure they aren’t told as much to get over it.
Could be it is a non topic for discussion? Seems they have a greater concern ... u.s.a.
'I'm afraid it can happen again': German-born Holocaust survivors in U.S. reflect on anti-Semitism today

Old 02-24-2019, 11:18 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
So what good does it do anyone to dwell on something that no one living has any direct experience with? How are African Americans helped by focusing on something that is not part of any of their life experiences or even the experience of their grandparents? Should we also say that the Israelis should focus on the slavery of their ancestors under the Egyptians? To what end?

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...213605922.html
Here is my take on this. I'm no fan of Fox news, like wise for Lemon Head and Cuomo on CNN, and not to bright Rachel Maddow on MSNBC. With that said let me explain my thoughts. I'm a mulatto, and a 1st generation American. I have no ties to this land other than being born here legally, and my family came here legally. I noticed differences between me and my family black American peers. Such as I liked rum but my fellow black Americans preferred Cognac. Never knew why, but such differences set me and black Americans apart while being people of color. As an child of immigrants, I had to learn from elementary, all the way to college, and even now about the history of America. I had to learn about the legacy of the whites, the legacy of the Indian, and the legacy of the blacks. All three factions help build and makes up what America is today. The history of blacks and the Indians is sad, but lets not frank and jump to judgment. Even history of whites in America is not all the Rosie and filled with hardships and discriminations from institutions.

As for black Americans? Black Americans been through tribulations from 1619-2019. Its going to be hard for black Americans to forget about slavery. Slavery is in the front end and back end of the mental load fro many African Americans, and you know what its ok. Why? Slavery is something that we should never forget. However being a descendent of slavery should not be weaponized in form of being a victim. The only way black Americans can forget about slavery is if they move to another country. Afro Latinos and Afro Caribbean's, when they move to America we don't bring our slave mentality with us. But many of us do understand where Black Americans are coming from

Old 02-24-2019, 11:27 PM

3,851 posts, read 2,223,743 times
Quote:
the difference from Black Latinos and Black Americans is that the Latino countries don't have the white guilt...
I don't think you even know what Jim Crow was. You're accusing me, but you are the one that is ignorant.

No black Latin Americans have ever experienced the legal exclusion and racial violence that happened to black Americans during the Jim Crow era. Did the national guard have to be called to desegregate schools in Colombia? No they didn't. There was never legalized racial segregation in any Latin American country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media