Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2019, 12:35 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
leave the past in the past.
Then your attitude that’s indicative of past attitudes has to be left behind too. And in your case, it hasn’t and won’t be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
A black person living under Jim Crow had it a 1000 times better than still being a slave in Africa. It was not free people who where sold into slavery. It was tribes that lost in war and were already slaves.
There was supposed to be NO Jim Crow period! The Founding Fathers prohibited discrimination upon this nation’s establishment.

So it doesn’t matter what anyone had here compared to Africa. Africa has nothing to do with it. Your folks would’ve had it worse in Europe than they had here. That doesn’t justify any poor treatment they endured in this country.

Just like my ancestors were captured in Africa by other blacks, your ancestors endured poverty, persecution, lack of opportunity and humiliation at the hands of other Europeans. That’s why they came here. They couldn’t make it in Europe. They were almost starving to death and living in some dump or hovel on the edge of town somewhere.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:38 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
leave the past in the past.
play the victim card for your weakness if it suits you but its better to simply improve yourself and look forward instead of looking back.
Looking backwards is a normal human trait that we’re endowed with. You’re supposed to look back. It gives you orientation.

I’m not gonna ignore my family history just because you claim it’s weak or part of a victim game. That’s your take on it, and I’m not interested in your take. You’re not a member of the tribe anyway. Only tribal member’s opinions matter.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:42 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
I've noticed something in my life. The persons who are the most likely to tell Black people to "get over slavery", are the ones most likely to fly Confederate flags or defend flying a Confederate flag. Flying a Confederate flag says you're not over losing the Civil War. Flying the Confederate flag says you wish the South had won. Venerating Robert E. Lee and Jefferson Davis says you're not over the South losing and slavery being over. How can one expect me to get over slavery while defending the use of the Confederate flag (or flying it in some cases)? But that's just it. Telling someone to "get over slavery" isn't being said for that person's benefit. I know why some people would tell me to "get over slavery". It isn't for my benefit. It isn't help me get better. It is because said persons want me to be silent and shut up. Same thing with the crap over the Confederate flag. If I don't like the Confederate flag, I'm expected to just shut up and put up with it.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:44 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Whites were indentured servants. Not even close to being the same thing.

If they were actual slaves, you’d be wasting plenty of energy on it. Especially if they were enslaved by blacks.
Whites have been slaves throughout history. You can't just use whites in America. Our families were also enslaved back in Europe. You don't see us demanding reparations from Italy since most were under the control of the Roman Empire.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Whites have been slaves throughout history. You can't just use whites in America. Our families were also enslaved back in Europe. You don't see us demanding reparations from Italy since most were under the control of the Roman Empire.
It is THIS COUNTRY, the USA that we are talking about. Either stick to the topic or start your own thread.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:47 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Then your attitude that’s indicative of past attitudes has to be left behind too. And in your case, it hasn’t and won’t be.

There was supposed to be NO Jim Crow period! The Founding Fathers prohibited discrimination upon this nation’s establishment.

So it doesn’t matter what anyone had here compared to Africa. Africa has nothing to do with it. Your folks would’ve had it worse in Europe than they had here. That doesn’t justify any poor treatment they endured in this country.

Just like my ancestors were captured in Africa by other blacks, your ancestors endured poverty, persecution, lack of opportunity and humiliation at the hands of other Europeans. That’s why they came here. They couldn’t make it in Europe. They were almost starving to death and living in some dump or hovel on the edge of town somewhere.
Jim Crow laws were LOCAL regulations created in the community. They were not Federal policies.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:50 PM

8,328 posts, read 2,958,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
No. Whites came as indentured servants, not slaves.
Whites were slaves. I'm not talking about indentured servants or whites in the U.S. You are.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Jim Crow laws were LOCAL regulations created in the community. They were not Federal policies.
Jim Crow was local. This doesn't negate widespread discrimination against Blacks that took place in areas outside of the South. Housing discrimination was rampant throughout the USA. Other kinds of discrimination as well, such as Blacks being told "you can't live here because of your skin color".

Old 02-26-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Whites were slaves. I'm not talking about indentured servants or whites in the U.S. You are.
Tucker Carlson was talking about African-Americans in THIS COUNTRY. This is a subject related to what is going on in THIS COUNTRY. You are the one trying to talk about things outside of the USA. and the only reason you're bringing up Whites being enslaved outside of the USA is because you don't want to hear about what Black Americans went through in THIS COUNTRY.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:55 PM

8,328 posts, read 2,958,558 times
Carlson is simply talking common sense. Good for him. Today most blacks in the U.S. are lucky to be here no matter how they got here. Look at all these rich athletes and those in the music industry among others. If their ancestors weren't slaves they likely wouldn't be here or rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media