Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 07:36 PM

2,068 posts, read 998,731 times

Advertisements

I use YouTube for finding videos on how to repair my appliances, but not for much else.

Certainly not for news.

I NEVER use Google for Internet searches. I use DuckDuckGo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 07:43 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
Yes one can...I probably had multiple websites up and in operation before you even knew what the web or dns was. RFC 2068 and later 2616 compliant too.

Yes they do and selective censorship such as this will be bad for business going forward.
Well, you'd be one of the first to beat me at that game - if you had web sites up before 1994...but who's counting? We used Ham Radio before we founded The Well and did a lot on Compuserve and local BB's.

As to their business...I can only imagine you are a billionaire gracing CD since you know what is good and bad for Googles business.

Being in on the internet that far back - you must have bought some domain names that went for millions, right? Or did you not see what was going to be?

Old 08-16-2019, 07:53 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,112,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Well, you'd be one of the first to beat me at that game - if you had web sites up before 1994...but who's counting? We used Ham Radio before we founded The Well and did a lot on Compuserve and local BB's.

As to their business...I can only imagine you are a billionaire gracing CD since you know what is good and bad for Googles business.

Being in on the internet that far back - you must have bought some domain names that went for millions, right? Or did you not see what was going to be?
Oh, websites were so much different back then. Mine had the space background and all the fun that came with that Era. And the modem whining and whirring, and having to make sure you didn't get dropped from a phone call.

Who is going to pay for the extra costs should it somehow happen that Google has no say in whether someone can use their privately owned sites? Or are they supposed to just grin and take it no matter the cost?

Old 08-16-2019, 07:57 PM

5,067 posts, read 1,665,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I assume you mean local BBS's since BBS's actually were a thing. The Well is legit old so theres actually some cred there.
Compuserve is lol, they had basically 0 subscribers. Ham Radio who cares? Hamfests is where you went back in the day to get deals on computer hardware. Now if you had one of the first modems that you actually had to dial numbers manually and then flip a switch when you heard carreier at the other end, that would be old school.

Old 08-16-2019, 08:01 PM

19,746 posts, read 22,654,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
YouTube announced plans on Wednesday to remove thousands of videos and channels that advocate for neo-Nazism, white supremacy and other bigoted ideologies in an attempt to clean up extremism and hate speech on the service. What about freedom of speech? Because YouTube is a private corporation, these videos are not protected under the First Amendment, so they can pull any videos they want. I support the right for people to be racists and bigots if they so insist upon it. But if a private entity pulls material like this, is it considered censorship?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/05/b...=breaking-news
Great!

Old 09-29-2019, 09:10 AM

5,103 posts, read 2,049,434 times
Slightly off-topic I'm sorry for this inconvenience but could you imagine what if Youtube removed pro-LGBT Content? This is what TikTok did.
https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...o-lgbt-content

Quote:
TikTok’s efforts to provide locally sensitive moderation have resulted in it banning any content that could be seen as positive to gay people or gay rights, down to same-sex couples holding hands, even in countries where homosexuality has never been illegal, the Guardian can reveal.

The rules were applied on top of the general moderation guidelines, first reported by the Guardian on Wednesday, which included a number of clauses that banned speech that touched on topics sensitive to China, including Tiananmen Square, Tibet and Falun Gong. ByteDance, the Beijing-based company that owns TikTok, says the moderation guidelines were replaced in May.
There's a bit more on the table on this vlog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2-xiH70f_Y

Old 09-29-2019, 11:23 AM

4,901 posts, read 3,359,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrw-500 View Post
Slightly off-topic I'm sorry for this inconvenience but could you imagine what if Youtube removed pro-LGBT Content? This is what TikTok did.
https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...o-lgbt-content

There's a bit more on the table on this vlog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2-xiH70f_Y
Let's see what the SJWs have to say about this

Old 09-29-2019, 11:28 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
YouTube announced plans on Wednesday to remove thousands of videos and channels that advocate for neo-Nazism, white supremacy and other bigoted ideologies in an attempt to clean up extremism and hate speech on the service. What about freedom of speech? Because YouTube is a private corporation, these videos are not protected under the First Amendment, so they can pull any videos they want. I support the right for people to be racists and bigots if they so insist upon it. But if a private entity pulls material like this, is it considered censorship?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/05/b...=breaking-news
Yes, it's censorship. But the haters can counter by providing for their own web space as they probably already do. I'd be a little more concerned should they not find web space providers, who want them, but won't be very sympathetic about it.

Old 09-29-2019, 01:10 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,317 times
YT is within their legal rights to do but practically speaking it would help if many Left-leaning channels get removed as well. You, to be a bit balanced in removing so many Right-leaning channels.

Old 09-29-2019, 01:26 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 18 hours ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times
I know that many youtubers have had problems due to many different types of content problems have moved to other sites or have backed their videos up using other sites. The favourite new alternative to youtube seems to be BitChute, and some of those who have disappeared from youtube can be found there or on other similar video hosting sites.

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-29-2019 at 02:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media