Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 08:12 PM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times

Advertisements

I would maybe watch if she just celebrated the fact that she is hosting the show now. Why does she have to go on about Middle America or white people being terrified? I wouldn’t have even thought about it. I hate it when comedians use their gender or race as the basis for their act. I don’t mind jokes about white people as long as they’re funny, like when Chris Rock does it. But he doesn’t focus on people being scared of him because of the color of his skin. He come out with confidence like he belongs there (and he does). Coming out like she did makes it sound like she doesn’t think she does belong. Sounds like she’s going to make this her theme too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 08:22 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times
She is also billed as the first bisexual woman of color (she has Punjabi Indian blood) to host a late-night talk show.

Old 09-18-2019, 08:27 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
She is also billed as the first bisexual woman of color (she has Punjabi Indian blood) to host a late-night talk show.
Yes much fuss about her not being like all the others in late night TV.

There is truth in that comment.

She's not my style. I don't care she's hyped because she's a brown bisexual woman on late late late night TV.......I am fascinated by her getting the show for a number of reasons....she's a Canadian brown bisexual woman.

I gather they are trying to get the younger audience.

For many of you bothered by her, you find the men of late night TV to be too liberal for you --- of course this lady isn't going to be for you....lol.

Old 09-18-2019, 08:35 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Garden variety wokeness. And?
And... yeah, that about covers it. This level of racial hostility from a network TV comedy host might have been edgy, even shocking, 10 years ago, but now it's the mainstream NYT and Democratic Party approved attitude.

Old 09-19-2019, 06:19 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,648,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
That's part of the problem. Instead, they should mention, ya know, how she got famous anyway and what made her popular.

I barely know who she is cause of YouTube, but I never really watched her videos, but at least her being like "Hey I'm a YouTube star actually on your tube now and here's what I did on YouTube" more than "LOOK AT ME, I'M INDIAN AND LGBT!!! LOOK AT ME! AREN'T YOU MAD!?!"

I mean, this is just embarrassing.

https://twitter.com/Henrik_Palmgren/...44380436008967

Old 09-19-2019, 06:25 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I've never heard of her until the OP posted this.

Ditto.

Comedy has a very simple barometer - if they laugh, the joke worked, if they don't laugh, the joke didn't work.

Sounds like not many folks are laughing, so.....

Old 09-19-2019, 06:45 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Yet the SNL just fired their new hire for 'racist' comments on podcast.....is it ok for everyone as long as it's 'comedy'?
If you go on racist rants against whites, ridicule and malign people that you hate, and then simply chuckle at the end of your rant, it's now labeled as comedy.

Old 09-19-2019, 06:50 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Ditto.

Comedy has a very simple barometer - if they laugh, the joke worked, if they don't laugh, the joke didn't work.

Sounds like not many folks are laughing, so.....

If white supremacist jokes about blacks, Jews and Hispanics, and the other bigots in the crowd laugh with him at the ridicule of those people, would you say it is comedy?

Old 09-19-2019, 06:55 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Ah gotcha. I have no doubt you’re right about that. What’s the platform of choice for yours? It’s endlessly fascinating to me because the goalposts aren’t just moving at this stage, they’re flying about with reckless abandon.
I read online news sites and follow certain outliers.

Old 09-19-2019, 07:06 AM

2,828 posts, read 824,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
The amount of jarring prejudice and stupidity that went into this is staggering. Currently over 16K dislikes and counting. Who is her PR person?

Absolute garbage!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media